•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrodon filters

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 andysea

andysea

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

I Just received a new set of 50mm lrgb astrodon filters. They filters where pretty filthy even tho I bought them new. Besides the dust some of them
Have white smisges on them. I am curious if I have just been unlucky of if this is normal. It’s been a few years since I bought my last set of astrodon filters and the last time that I bought them they were clean when I received them.

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:24 PM

Received a new set of Astrodon 50mm this week as well, they were all dirty and I cleaned them.

I emailed Don to let him know.

Edited by rockstarbill, 19 October 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#3 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:49 PM

Interesting.  I recently got a new Astrodon 5nm H-alpha filter, dropped-shipped from Astrodon, and it was pristine.  

#4 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

I have a 5nm 50mm HA filter arriving tomorrow -- I will report the condition of it.

Edit:

Don already responded to me:

Thanks for letting us know.  The "material" comes from the glassine envelopes, which we will replace next year with fabric-lined envelopes.  Our narrowbands are shipped that way and rarely have a problem.

So if you have some excess material with the larger filters, that arrive in envelopes and not foam lined cases like the smaller ones, just clean them off with a Kimwipe wetted with 91% alcohol and move along. No harm done. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 19 October 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#5 andysea

andysea

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

Thanks, I am planning to clean them with Purosol and Kimwipes.

That's a C for customer unpacking experience.

My other sets came in the plastic boxes, mystery solved.

#6 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:12 AM

Don suggests the usage of 91% alcohol only. Wet the Kimwipe, and gently slide the filter across the wet side to the dry side, flip and repeat. Takes all of 5 seconds to clean a single filter. Use a new Kimwipe for each filter.

You should use non-powdered surgical gloves to handle unmounted filters.

Edited by rockstarbill, 20 October 2017 - 01:26 AM.

• Stelios likes this

#7 Spike13

Spike13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

I ordered my brand new LRGB and Ha filters directly from Astrodon a couple weeks ago. They also arrived dirty. Not a big deal to clean them, but I was not expecting to receive them in that condition.

After the cleaning, they are performing perfectly for me.

#8 schmeah

schmeah

Skylab

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Received one with an obvious fingerprint on it. Not a big deal, but am I the only one that finds it nearly impossible to get all the solvent residue, fibers, etc.  off the filter when cleaning them? Particularly mounted filters. Sure, just slide it across a wet Kim Wipe ... never as simple as it sounds for me.

Derek

#9 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Considering what Astrodons cost isn't getting a dirty filter a let down? Seriously my baaders came in pristine.

• TestnDoc, leviathan, WesC and 1 other like this

#10 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

I bought some of Don's filters at AIC. They were clean. 

However, I did notice that they come in a  little sealed envelope leaves lint/dust when torn.

It is almost impossible to open these without tearing it a bit too.

It was also hard take them out with me get my finger prints on the filters.

I suspect they go in to that envelope clean but come out dirty do to this.

What do you think?

I think Don's packing is a problem and some needs to tell him

Max

#11 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

91% IPA.  LRGB and 3nm nb's were all filthy with an oily residue that took a bit of cleaning to get off.  For that kind of money, there should be better qc with Don.

• TestnDoc, leviathan and WesC like this

#12 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

That's too bad.  Were they direct from AstroDon? They could be repacked from a dealer.

Btw, mine had two seals.

One on the plastic case, the other was the envelope inside.  Did you get ones that were sealed?

Don told me they QC - test each of them and then pack them in California.

Max

#13 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

That's too bad.  Were they direct from AstroDon? They could be repacked from a dealer.

Btw, mine had two seals.

One on the plastic case, the other was the envelope inside.  Did you get ones that were sealed?

Max

Thanks for letting us know.  The "material" comes from the glassine envelopes, which we will replace next year with fabric-lined envelopes.  Our narrowbands are shipped that way and rarely have a problem.

#14 gunny01

gunny01

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

I've had three sets of ad's over the years.  My first and second set was packaged in glassine envelopes and were spotless.  My latest set just had tissue paper wrapping them and they all had to be cleaned.  After the cleaning, performance was great.  All were purchased thru opt.

There have been several complaints about this for the ad's.

Btw, mine had two seals.

Max

My shipment did not have seals on the plastic containers, nor the glassine envelopes.  Makes me wonder what opt is doing.  Repacking returns?

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

I try to understand this thread better, what are you talking about regarding that Astrodon filters?

#16 andysea

andysea

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

My filters came in the glassine envelopes but the plastic container was not sealed. I bough them from OPT, makes me wonder about repackaging returns as well.

#17 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

My filters came in the glassine envelopes but the plastic container was not sealed. I bough them from OPT, makes me wonder about repackaging returns as well.

I have issues with OPT too, i bought my only Astrodon from them, it was sealed, but i don't know how or what kind of sealed it should be, i think i took a snapshot of items including this Astrodon packaging one.

I am trying to find a site to buy Astrodon from with good shipping, OPT was like the only one regardless the headache with them, so not sure if that issue you talk about is with the vendor only or it is common with others too and Astrodon isn't doing good for sealing/packaging their filters, i won't judge from one or 2 cases.

#18 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Mine came from Astrodon and were sealed and in the glassine envelopes. If the OPT ones were not sealed, they could be reselling returns. 

#19 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

I got mine from OPT at AIC two weeks ago. They have been great always.
I bought two NB 50mm Square filter.

The plastic case had a small Astrodon security seal across two sides that you had to break.
Inside the case the filters were in a white paper envelope. So mine had a double security seal by AD.

This assures that the filter is new and not a return.

Mine were clearly new. It was hard to open the paper envelope without tearing it and making paper dust.
I did not really have to clean them. Just blow the paper dust off.

Max

#20 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

I try to understand this thread better, what are you talking about regarding that Astrodon filters?

A few people have report buying dirty AD filters. AD filters intrinsic quality is not being questioned.

#21 andysea

andysea

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

Interesting, mine had a seal but it was on the side which I thought it was strange as I didn't have to break it in order to open the case. You can see it in the attached photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3060.jpg

#22 maxmir

maxmir

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Btw, mine had two seals.

Max

It is funny I found the fabic lined ones.
I thought they were just paper but this makes sense.
They are sealed so tight I had to tear to open.
The filter fits in there quite snugly . Ihad to tear two edges get them out.
If you don't, you can't pull it out without get finger prints.

The good new this is clean fabric dust I created. Blew right off.

#23 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

91% IPA.  LRGB and 3nm nb's were all filthy with an oily residue that took a bit of cleaning to get off.  For that kind of money, there should be better qc with Don.

Really? You clean your filter with Ale?laugh.gif

I have around 23 Astrodon filters in three cameras and have always used:

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B004WBR8C6

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B0001M6K24/

Works great.

#24 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Gemini

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

Btw, mine had two seals.

Max

It is funny I found the fabic lined ones.
I thought they were just paper but this makes sense.
They are sealed so tight I had to tear to open.
The filter fits in there quite snugly . Ihad to tear two edges get them out.
If you don't, you can't pull it out without get finger prints.

The good new this is clean fabric dust I created. Blew right off.

Yeah I just got a 50mm HA filter yesterday that I have yet to open. Curious to see if the fabric lined method leads to clean filters from the get go.

#25 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

A few people have report buying dirty AD filters. AD filters intrinsic quality is not being questioned.

I know it is not about the quality of the filter itself, but it is about the condition or how the filters are handled and shipped or if they are being as brand new or something rather, i just to figure out so i don't get one that could be a refurbished or defective or open as demo or whatever it is, we have same issues in photographic items too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics