•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Reflector Telescope with Motor Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hey everyone,I hope you all are well.

I am starting to consider trying out a reflector for my very first time.

Since lunar,planetary,Messier objects may be my top objects to view ,I have a couple of questions. I would like to start off with someone inexpensive but yet,still of good quality.

So I ran across this scope and wondered if anyone had any experience or opinions about it.waytogo.gif 

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Reflector Telescope with Motor Drive.

#2 overnight

overnight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Whole thread on it: https://www.cloudyni...romaster-130eq/

Thankfully, unlike the 127mm Powerseekers, it isn't a Bird-Jones, so you are in the clear.

Edited by overnight, 20 October 2017 - 09:52 PM.

• Planethunter80 likes this

#3 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

Whole thread on it: https://www.cloudyni...romaster-130eq/

Thankfully, unlike the 127mm Powerseekers, it isn't a Bird-Jones, so you are in the clear.

Thank You Kindly my Friend.waytogo.gif 

#4 petert913

petert913

Viking 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

HighPoint Scientific has them for $199.  

I played around with an AstroMaster once.  The mount is quite flimsy and vibrates the image easily.  Just my two cents.

#5 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

HighPoint Scientific has them for $199.  

I played around with an AstroMaster once.  The mount is quite flimsy and vibrates the image easily.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if I later obtained a 60 to 70mm refractor if the mount would perform well with that size scope.

#6 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks again everyone.

I am going to assume at the low price and lack of replies it is not a scope that is thought highly of.

I will look towards another scope and mount. If the mount is not sturdy enough for a short focal length 130mm refractor then I may need to stear clear of it all together.smile.gif 

#7 bvillebob

bvillebob

Viking 1

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

I've been told that the 130 you're looking at is now a spherical mirror, rather than the parabolic it used to be, you would want to be sure about that before making a decision.

The best scope in that range most people feel is the Astronomers Without Borders Onesky, also a 130.  It's $199 shipped but has good optics and gets good reviews for performance.

If there's any way you can do it get at least a 6" dob, and preferably an 8".  An 8" dob is a great starter scope.  Those little 60 and 70mm refractors are extremely limited by their tiny aperture.

#8 sixela

sixela

Hubble

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:06 AM

I would avoid it.

First of all, the last tube I had with the same optics showed severe spherical undercorrection, so much so that the mirror was probably spherical. The vendor claimed none of his other ones in stock were any better, and we arranged to swap it for a SkyWatcher (which I still have).

Secondly, to cram so much into a tight budget corners were cut absolutely everywhere. I'd either save money for something better or revise one of my choices (you can get decent optics for that budget, but not on a decent equatorial mount with that aperture).

The mount's OK albeit somewhat plasticky for a really small scope, but to be honest it isn't any better than a Skywatcher EQ2 wrapped in extra layers of plastic to make it seem more sturdy than it is.

Edited by sixela, 23 October 2017 - 03:10 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Planethunter80 like this

#9 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

My friends thank you all for your time and comments.smile.gif 

I do believe I will try to spend more money towards a scope and get something of higher quality.

I was just not sure if the mount was worth having to use with another scope then it's original 130mm reflector.

#10 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: VT

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

To add to what others have said. I started with a 130EQ AstroMaster.

Taught me all of the things that can be wrong with a mount and telescope! An expensive mistake...

#11 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

To add to what others have said. I started with a 130EQ AstroMaster.

Taught me all of the things that can be wrong with a mount and telescope! An expensive mistake...

Thank You BSJ.smile.gif 

Your post just further strengthens my choice to pass on this scope and mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics