•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ever Rediscover Forgotten Gems?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

So tonight I was out for about the 8th observing run of the last week.  This string of clear nights is unheard of so I'm not wasting any of these nights and early morning opportunities.

I've mostly been using the Morpheus, Docter, and ES62's. 

I decided at one point that I wanted a barlow to use with the Docter, but I have my barlows in a case inside.  So I came into the house and grabbed the barlow.  Sitting next to it was my 25mm Zeiss 4-element microscope ortho with an ~50 deg AFOV.  I have not been using this eyepiece at all in quite a while which is why it was sitting in my office instead of the case I take outside.  I said to myself "why not" and grabbed it.

So I was looking at M52 with I don't even remember which eyepiece and I tossed in the 25mm Zeiss and I was immediately stunned at how good it was and at how well various dark lanes stood out against the sky background.  I was trying to figure out why I haven't been using this thing.   I ended up spending the next 2 hours using only the 25mm Zeiss and a couple times combined it with the 2x or 3x TV barlows. 

The Zeiss was just unbelievable.  I observed numerous star clusters and the stars were just absolutely the finest delicate pinpoints you could ask for.  I guess I have to move this one back into my main observing case.

• NiteGuy, gene 4181, Peter Besenbruch and 1 other like this

#2 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Viking 1

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

I've had the opposite experience lately. For the longest time, my all time favorite eyepiece was the 19 Pan. I used it for just about everything. 

I ended up basically replacing it with an ES92 17, and stopped using it. But decided to try it out the last few nights, and I'm now really off-put by how warm the presentation is. Orange blue pairs look terrible in it, as the warm tone really subdues the color contrast. Compared to the neutral colors of just about all of my other eyepieces, I really dislike the 19 Pan's presentation. It would probably work well on Jupiter, but it's not enough magnification. 

Sounds like I need to get in on this Zeiss microscope eyepiece bandwagon though. Maybe once I get a premium mirror to justify it, I will.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

Quite a few of the various well-made micro EPs i've tried have presented like that! Zeiss, Leica, Olympus... their field width may not scare the average Ethos into the tall grass, but their ER is usually super generous, and their optical property could possibly best be described as *invisible*. A lot to like! waytogo.gif

#4 Lt 26

Lt 26

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Years ago I all but retired my 20mm TV Plossl that came with my 102. I have the 17E so what would the tiny plossl do for me.

One afternoon I set up very early. Looking at the scope sitting there I thought that thing would make a nice great big spotting scope and give me something to do while waiting for dark.

Using my 60ยบ 1.25" Everbright diagonal gave a comfortable enough viewing angle but which eyepiece? As a spotting scope I was racking the focuser in and out so much most of my eyepieces were unbalancing the scope.

The 20mm Plossl at a few ounces and low profile came to the rescue. I call this set up the TV 880 Yardmaster. A 4", 44x, 5mm e.p., worlds longest spotting scope. Yes I have smaller scopes and binoculars but nothing touches this thing.

Dereck

Edited by Lt 26, 21 October 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#5 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Oahu

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

The Zeiss was just unbelievable.

I sense a disturbance in the force... Wait! What's this? Is this a set of Zeiss Abbe IIs I see before me?

#6 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

I've had similar experiences with older, narrow designs like orthos and Plossls. It usually doesn't last more than a few days though as I miss the wider FOV.

#7 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

I've had similar experiences with older, narrow designs like orthos and Plossls. It usually doesn't last more than a few days though as I miss the wider FOV.

That is certainly the case in many instances.  In this case the 25mm 48 deg AFOV ortho in my 120ED gives a TFOV of 1.3 deg which is plenty for the star clusters and other DSO I was targeting while still providing a more satisfying image scale than 32mm and longer FL eyepieces.

#8 Scott99

Scott99

Aurora

• Loc: New England

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

yes, if you actually want to see more detail in the DSO's you have to use minimum glass, it's the dirty secret of wide-field behemoths.

• gene 4181 likes this

#9 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:44 PM

lol.gif  Some behemoths can afford to own dirty secrets! shocked.gif

#10 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

For a simple, fairly cheap eyepiece I am consistently amazed with how well my Meade RG 20mm WA performs. Typically sub $100 on the used market, and a lightweight joy to use. Not bad for a 35+ year old EP.

I used to have a complete set of the original 10 of these, but sold most to fund my Questar. Ironically, the RG 20mm doesn't play well with my Questar - the barrel is too long so not enough in-focus range.

Steve

Edited by sgorton99, 26 October 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#11 starbase25

starbase25

Viking 1

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

No, because I don't leave eyepieces lying about, or forgotten. I use what I have and account for everything. 

But, what I find myself doing, is scouring the internet for focal lengths I pick out and sometimes I see one I have not tried yet and then I will look for it and buy it to try.

Edited by starbase25, 26 October 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#12 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

No, because I don't leave eyepieces lying about, or forgotten. I use what I have and account for everything. 

But, what I find myself doing, is scouring the internet for focal lengths I pick out and sometimes I see one I have not tried yet and then I will look for it and buy it to try.

I think a lot of people probably do forget about some of their eyepieces though just because of the sheer numbers they have.  I have 13 eyepieces but I had tucked the 25mm Zeiss into another case I have for stuff I don't use that often because I never use all 13 eyepieces in one night. So when I went into that case last week I decided to pull the 25mm Zeiss out just to see how it would do on the open clusters I was observing.

You see some people on this forum with dozens of eyepieces.  It is not hard to imagine that in some cases many of those eyepieces will sit unused for months or even years. 

#13 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Messenger

• Loc: Canada

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

I think a lot of people probably do forget about some of their eyepieces though just because of the sheer numbers they have.  I have 13 eyepieces but I had tucked the 25mm Zeiss into another case I have for stuff I don't use that often because I never use all 13 eyepieces in one night. So when I went into that case last week I decided to pull the 25mm Zeiss out just to see how it would do on the open clusters I was observing.

You see some people on this forum with dozens of eyepieces.  It is not hard to imagine that in some cases many of those eyepieces will sit unused for months or even years.

This is one of the reasons I only have 6 eyepieces. I know where they all are, right now (in the dining room in their case sitting on the dining room table). I used to have lots of eyepieces, but I have embraced simplicity and narrowed it down to my 6 "favourites" that I use all the time. It makes my time observing much more enjoyable as I have a good, simple set of eyepieces that provide me all the views I desire.

Thanks! :)

Rick in Canada (eh!)

#14 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

This is one of the reasons I only have 6 eyepieces. I know where they all are, right now (in the dining room in their case sitting on the dining room table). I used to have lots of eyepieces, but I have embraced simplicity and narrowed it down to my 6 "favourites" that I use all the time. It makes my time observing much more enjoyable as I have a good, simple set of eyepieces that provide me all the views I desire.

Thanks! smile.gif

Rick in Canada (eh!)

I'm with you.  I think I peaked out at one point at around 20 eyepieces and I downsized to about 9.  Now I am at 13 eyepieces.  I have a couple that I usually don't use but I hold onto for occasional use for nostalgia reasons.

My main observing set for deep sky is:

32mm or 26mm ES62

12.5mm Docter

9mm Morpheus

6.5mm Morpheus

5.5mm Meade UWA

For the Moon and planets I generally use:

25mm Zeiss and 12.5mm Docter with 2x and 3x TV barlows, and 5.5mm ES62.

So the other eyepieces I own don't get that much use but I hang onto them.

The eyepiece I am eager to add to my set would be the 17.5mm Morpheus.  I might also consider a 7mm Nikon NAV for lunar observations and possibly the 30mm Lunt 70 deg that is coming out.

• bbqediguana likes this

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Not necessarily rediscover, but some are useable only when conditions are perfect or you have very dark skies...while it sounds a bit crazy, in a black zone the 2.58XO in an ST80 is eyepopping (and costs about three times what the scope did.)

#16 rowdy388

rowdy388

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Most times when I pull out an older, neglected favorite from the past I'm disappointed. Then I remember

why I put it away in the first place....

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#17 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Being that I tend to hord eyepieces and only get rid of the bad ones I have re discovered the goodness of some of the older ones many times. Being that most of my visual scopes are f12 to f16, many work really well in them. I have a soft spot for high quality old erfles, Meade RGs, Brandon's, Telvue WFs. Often my Naglers, ethos, Pentax etc stay in the house depending on which scope I'm using and observing targets.

• bbqediguana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics