•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

90mm Coronado Solarmax III?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

Does anyone know if Meade (Coronado) is planning to produce a 90mm version of their 60mm Solarmax III?

#2 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Even if they do, I think you could be better off using another OTA for H-alpha, as it might be needed for your CaK interest (your other post) - not all refractors will work well for CaK due to spherochromaticism at 394 nm. An ED100/900, which is well corrected at both 656 and 394 nm, can be had used for ~ $500, and new for ~ $750.

Besides, you likely will pay a premium price for the Solarmax III OTA without any real benefit. For example, the 70 mm Solarmax III DS solar telescope list for $3199. But you could get a SMII 60 etalon (Richview and TMax tuning)with a 15 mm blocking filter for $1599, and a SM II 60 DS etalon (Richview and TMax tuning) for $899, for a total of $2498. The Solarmax 70 III then represents $701 for OTA, but the second etalon does not have Richview tuning, which I think is more advantageous. If the Solarmax 90 III telescope did the same thing, you'd be less well off IMO. See:

https://www.cloudyni...l/#entry8164510

Given that Meade is eliminating Richview tuning on one of the etalons for the DS scope, and charging a premium price for what seems to be a standard achromatic 70 mm objective (they don't mention it being an ED or APO), I think the choice would be better to go with an ED OTA and add the requisite SMII 90 etalons and blocking filter.

Just my 2 cents worth...

• BinoGuy likes this

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

Even if they do, I think you could be better off using another OTA for H-alpha, as it might be needed for your CaK interest (your other post) - not all refractors will work well for CaK due to spherochromaticism at 394 nm. An ED100/900, which is well corrected at both 656 and 394 nm, can be had used for ~ $500, and new for ~ $750.

Besides, you likely will pay a premium price for the Solarmax III OTA without any real benefit. For example, the 70 mm Solarmax III DS solar telescope list for $3199. But you could get a SMII 60 etalon (Richview and TMax tuning)with a 15 mm blocking filter for $1599, and a SM II 60 DS etalon (Richview and TMax tuning) for $899, for a total of $2498. The Solarmax 70 III then represents $701 for OTA, but the second etalon does not have Richview tuning, which I think is more advantageous. If the Solarmax 90 III telescope did the same thing, you'd be less well off IMO. See:

https://www.cloudyni...l/#entry8164510

Given that Meade is eliminating Richview tuning on one of the etalons for the DS scope, and charging a premium price for what seems to be a standard achromatic 70 mm objective (they don't mention it being an ED or APO), I think the choice would be better to go with an ED OTA and add the requisite SMII 90 etalons and blocking filter.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Those are good points Bob.  I planned a "multi-scope" solar observatory with each scope handling the duties of a different wavelength of light.  That is why I am considering the Solarmax III 60mm DS so I don't tie up all of my existing scopes at the same time.  The H-Alpha could be handled by the Solarmax and if I travel with the SV85S to a cool location, I can simply bring one of the 60mm filters off of the Solarmax with the Stellarvue for a condensed travel kit while leaving the rest of the Solarmax system at the house.  No need to drag two scopes around the country.  It would also allow me to run the SV85S in white light side by side with the Coronado on a tandem mount for casual observing when at home.  

My main concern with the SV85S is the possibility of the dewshield drooping over time because it is a felt friction system that keeps it in place.  Adding a DS 60mm setup out front might cause the dewshield to droop and take the H-Alpha setup off band.  

The SV102V would be the CaK scope and the big TMB would be the white light workhorse at the observatory.  

Just a little of my thought process behind my potential choices.

Do the 90mm Coronado fiters thread directly onto the front of the Orion (or Skywatcher or Vixen) ED100 (100mm f/9) scopes like they do on some TV models or do they require an adapter plate like most scopes?

If I was 100% sure that I wouldn't have dewshield issues (and my Stellarvue Nighthawk AT1010N never did with the single SM40 filter) then I would definitely consider the DS 60mm option for the SV85S.  The Nighthawk AT1010N and the SV85S are from the same timeframe and build design.  I would run the SV102V in white light tandem with the SV85S pulling H-Alpha duty for casual viewing from home.

Trust me - I like the idea of saving $$$ so I am considering rolling the dice on this option.  I would be stuck though if a dewshield issue surfaced after the purchase.  I would be fine with the Solarmax III as the primary H-Alpha option at the observatory with the SV85S handling a single 60mm filter for travel.

#4 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hi Scott,

Having the three scope/wavelength solution is good. You can go larger aperture on the CaK if you employ additional energy rejection filtering, or some even use a Herschel wedge as Lunt does with the 152. I do the tandem mount with my ED100's, and having WL and H-alpha side-by-side is great for public outreach.

I would say you'd be much better off if you can remove the dew shield and mount he H alpha etalon more securely to the objective cell. And yes, the ED100 scope from Orion, SkyWatcher, etc. directly accept the SM90 etalon threads without the need for any adapter. Having once dropped an etalon attached to a dew shield, I wouldn't ever do that again. So if there is a way to mount the SM60 to the SV85 objective cell with an adapter ring, that'd definitely be the way to go.

• Scott Beith likes this

#5 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hi Scott,

Having the three scope/wavelength solution is good. You can go larger aperture on the CaK if you employ additional energy rejection filtering, or some even use a Herschel wedge as Lunt does with the 152. I do the tandem mount with my ED100's, and having WL and H-alpha side-by-side is great for public outreach.

I would say you'd be much better off if you can remove the dew shield and mount he H alpha etalon more securely to the objective cell. And yes, the ED100 scope from Orion, SkyWatcher, etc. directly accept the SM90 etalon threads without the need for any adapter. Having once dropped an etalon attached to a dew shield, I wouldn't ever do that again. So if there is a way to mount the SM60 to the SV85 objective cell with an adapter ring, that'd definitely be the way to go.

Thanks Bob.  Do you know if the Orion 100mm f/6 achromat has the same ability to take the SM90 directly?

#6 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Sorry Scott, I have no experience with that telescope. Might give Orion a call: Cupertino store (408 255-8770) and ask for Ken.

#7 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Bob.  They are both Synta 100mm scopes so I didn't know if it was possible if they might share a common cell.  The f/6 achromat would make it easy to reach the T-Max tuner.

#8 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Sorry Scott, I have no experience with that telescope. Might give Orion a call: Cupertino store (408 255-8770) and ask for Ken.

He didn't know so I think for now I will stick with other options.

#9 Simon2940

Simon2940

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

There are currently no plans for a 90mm version of the SM III as of yet. If they do, it wont happen until late next year and that's only if they decide to make one.

• Scott Beith likes this

#10 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

There are currently no plans for a 90mm version of the SM III as of yet. If they do, it wont happen until late next year and that's only if they decide to make one.

Thanks Simon.

#11 CarlDD

CarlDD

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottish more at home in Serbia

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hmmmm.

Meade might equip their  90mm F/10 achromat refractor with a 60mm front mounted etalon and BF10 and call it a 90mm SM III.

Best Regards

Carl

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics