•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 501 503 504 506 507 510 515 517 483 494 495 496 498 499 ...........

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

This is two nights of data. I found a bunch of galaxies in the sky chart and figured it would be a cool image. If you zoom in and look, there are tons of little faint fuzzies every where. I don't have enough color data. I might do some more.

CC is always welcome

get.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 507.jpg

• Alterf, Joe F Gafford, R Botero and 16 others like this

#2 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

That's a cool image Tolga!

John

• tolgagumus likes this

#3 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have to say Tolga amazing image. When I clicked the image to view it full-sized, wow. At first glance its a bit overwhelming, I then began to slowly scan the image from left to right, starting at the top. That's when this image comes ALIVE! 

Wow, as I moved my eyes across it I begin to see more and more detail. In the spiral galaxies defined arches appear, elliptical galaxies start to reveal their center. The longer I look the more details appear, dust lanes, faint color, and I even see faint structure in a few of the smudges ( the faint fuzzies ).

I'm not an imager at all, strictly just a visual observer. I never give advise or voice my opinion about what I think an imager should or could do. As I said I just observe visually and aside from sketching at the EP, I capture/image nothing in any way. I truly admire the hard work imagers produce and choose to share with us all here. The only comments I post about images that get shared are strictly complementary. Your image will be an acceptation to my rule. The only reason is because you state you don't have enough color data. I want to encourage you to do whatever you feel will bring out even more amazing detail than what you've already captured. If you feel you can put even more details into this image by all means, go for it. There is all ready so much detail in it, the longer I look the more I see. 

Images like this fascinate me. To me it's an images that deserves a second, third and fourth look. Every time I go back  and look again, something new appears. A new faint fuzzie appears or dust lanes, another spiraling arm appear forming a complete galaxy. 

If you can bring even more alive and tease out more detail in this already fabulous image I cant wait to see that one. 

Sorry to ramble on about your image but it's one of the few I found myself going back to, to see what else I can see in it.

Great job on this image here and keep up the amazing work.

• tolgagumus likes this

#4 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

I have to say Tolga amazing image. When I clicked the image to view it full-sized, wow. At first glance its a bit overwhelming, I then began to slowly scan the image from left to right, starting at the top. That's when this image comes ALIVE!
Wow, as I moved my eyes across it I begin to see more and more detail. In the spiral galaxies defined arches appear, elliptical galaxies start to reveal their center. The longer I look the more details appear, dust lanes, faint color, and I even see faint structure in a few of the smudges ( the faint fuzzies ).

I'm not an imager at all, strictly just a visual observer. I never give advise or voice my opinion about what I think an imager should or could do. As I said I just observe visually and aside from sketching at the EP, I capture/image nothing in any way. I truly admire the hard work imagers produce and choose to share with us all here. The only comments I post about images that get shared are strictly complementary. Your image will be an acceptation to my rule. The only reason is because you state you don't have enough color data. I want to encourage you to do whatever you feel will bring out even more amazing detail than what you've already captured. If you feel you can put even more details into this image by all means, go for it. There is all ready so much detail in it, the longer I look the more I see.

Images like this fascinate me. To me it's an images that deserves a second, third and fourth look. Every time I go back and look again, something new appears. A new faint fuzzie appears or dust lanes, another spiraling arm appear forming a complete galaxy.

If you can bring even more alive and tease out more detail in this already fabulous image I cant wait to see that one.
Sorry to ramble on about your image but it's one of the few I found myself going back to, to see what else I can see in it.
Great job on this image here and keep up the amazing work.

Thank you Allan, originally I thought what a boring target. Every bit of noisy looking thing in the image is a faint and fuzzy. I think there are many tens of galaxies in there if you look closely. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll go back to this and put some more time in.
  • Allanbarth1 likes this

#5 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Apollo

• Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

It is easy to count more then 50 galaxies on the picture!

Great job...

• tolgagumus and Allanbarth1 like this

#6 laixiaolue

laixiaolue

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA, USA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

It looks amazing! So many galaxies.

• tolgagumus likes this

#7 FebStars

FebStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Beautiful to linger over. Can you say what scope and camera you were using?

Thank you,

TomH

• tolgagumus likes this

#8 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Tolga,

Your posting of this image is VERY timely, considering that this field is the subject of a lengthy
observing article, with photos by Ken Hewitt-White which appeared in the November issue of. SKY & TELESCOPE. These galaxies are part of the Abell 194 galaxy cluster. Congrats on a wonderful image!
Ron Abbott
  • tolgagumus likes this

#9 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Nice image of this field.  BTW, NGC 507 and 508 are Arp 229.  My field is too small to do it justice so my Arp 229 image doesn't begin to cover all the galaxies like you do.

One thing I dislike about Astrobin's annotation is it covers things up.  While it circles NGC 508 the annotation is covered up by the annotation for NGC 507.  508 is the circled galaxy directly above 507 on the edge of its halo.  It is circled but because the annotation is covered up you didn't realize it was a major player of the group.  Only the line to the missing annotation is seen.  Also. while they correctly note NGC 506, it is just a field star the famous Lawrence Parsons (4th Earl of Rosse) mistook for a galaxy.

Rick

• tolgagumus likes this

#10 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

It is easy to count more then 50 galaxies on the picture!

Great job...

It looks amazing! So many galaxies.

Beautiful to linger over. Can you say what scope and camera you were using?

Thank you,

TomH

Tolga,

Your posting of this image is VERY timely, considering that this field is the subject of a lengthy
observing article, with photos by Ken Hewitt-White which appeared in the November issue of. SKY & TELESCOPE. These galaxies are part of the Abell 194 galaxy cluster. Congrats on a wonderful image!
Ron Abbott

Nice image of this field.  BTW, NGC 507 and 508 are Arp 229.  My field is too small to do it justice so my Arp 229 image doesn't begin to cover all the galaxies like you do.

One thing I dislike about Astrobin's annotation is it covers things up.  While it circles NGC 508 the annotation is covered up by the annotation for NGC 507.  508 is the circled galaxy directly above 507 on the edge of its halo.  It is circled but because the annotation is covered up you didn't realize it was a major player of the group.  Only the line to the missing annotation is seen.  Also. while they correctly note NGC 506, it is just a field star the famous Lawrence Parsons (4th Earl of Rosse) mistook for a galaxy.

Rick

Thank you Rick, Ron, Tom, Earnest and laixiaolue.

And thank you for the information. 

@Tom, I don't know if you clicked on the AB link but here is the set up

Imaging telescope or lens: Planewave 14" CDK
Imaging camera: Finger Lakes Instrumentation ML 16200
Focal reducer: Planewave Instruments 0.66x Reducer

#11 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Tolga,

Ron Abbott

BTW, just realized (to my utter chagrin!!) that I made the above post in error, due to the similarity of the two galaxy fields. The field I originally thought it was was is Abell 194 IN CETUS (not Pisces!).  The two groups are similar, thus my error. At any rate, due to the fantastic image you captured of this group, maybe on your next imaging run you can shoot the Abell 194 cluster in Cetus. It's a nice

one also!!

Ron Abbott

• tolgagumus likes this

#12 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:01 AM

Tolga,

Ron Abbott

BTW, just realized (to my utter chagrin!!) that I made the above post in error, due to the similarity of the two galaxy fields. The field I originally thought it was was is Abell 194 IN CETUS (not Pisces!).  The two groups are similar, thus my error. At any rate, due to the fantastic image you captured of this group, maybe on your next imaging run you can shoot the Abell 194 cluster in Cetus. It's a nice

one also!!

Ron Abbott

Actually this group is in Triangulum. 

#13 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Tolga:

Very cool image with lots of NGC galaxies!  This would be a fun one to try with PI's AnnotateImage script after doing a plate solve to see how many of them are picked up.  You have some control over size of fonts, placement, etc.

Ben

• tolgagumus likes this

#14 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Tolga,

Checked my star atlas today, and according to MegaStar, the NGC-504 group is JUST across the border in Pisces. At any rate, it is a very cool group of galaxies.  I've observed it visually, but now you have inspired me to image it!

Ron Abbott

• tolgagumus likes this

#15 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

I see some IFN there too. Very cool image!

• tolgagumus likes this

#16 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Tolga,

Checked my star atlas today, and according to MegaStar, the NGC-504 group is JUST across the border in Pisces. At any rate, it is a very cool group of galaxies.  I've observed it visually, but now you have inspired me to image it!

Ron Abbott

Tolga:

Very cool image with lots of NGC galaxies!  This would be a fun one to try with PI's AnnotateImage script after doing a plate solve to see how many of them are picked up.  You have some control over size of fonts, placement, etc.

Ben

Thank you Sam, there is a circular thing in the middle. Originally I thought it was a left over dust donut but I double checked my flats and the subs. It is real IFN 

@Ben

Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• Image3221_Annotated.jpg

Edited by tolgagumus, 24 October 2017 - 04:54 PM.

• BenKolt likes this

#17 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Always love these galaxy clusters!! So well done. 

• tolgagumus likes this

#18 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Tolga: "I found a bunch of galaxies".

Yes you did. Yes, you certainly did!
  • tolgagumus likes this

#19 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

Always love these galaxy clusters!! So well done.

Thank you Anis.

#20 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

Tolga: "I found a bunch of galaxies".

Yes you did. Yes, you certainly did!

Thank you.

#21 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

Wonderful! Love these deep cluster fields. 

Derek

• tolgagumus likes this

#22 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Wonderful! Love these deep cluster fields. 

Derek

Thanks Derek

#23 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

Tolga,

Ron Abbott

Tolga:

Ben

Thank you Sam, there is a circular thing in the middle. Originally I thought it was a left over dust donut but I double checked my flats and the subs. It is real IFN 

@Ben

Here you go

Thank you!  So many galaxies to label there.  Can't say I have all their NGC numbers memorized, however ...

#24 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Great shot!

#25 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:44 PM

Tolga,

I really like your annotated image but let me suggest that you bump the font size up a bit.  Older eyes might have trouble making out the numbers...like at all.  Of course, I don't have that problem.  tongue2.gif lol.gif

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics