•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First DSO light - ASI174MM- comments wanted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 edsplace

edsplace

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

I have a newer ZWO ASI174MM-mini guide cam. In the past couple days I have used it for solar imaging the sun using my Lunt 60 Ha scope. I decided to try going after emission nebulas with it, so I purchased some narrow band filters. I choose IC1318B and C because they are convenient and easy to find in my Bortle 7 say. I have heavy light pollution living in Detroit. In the past I have had no sucess imaging and DSO's with my DSLR. I have tried to capture some smaller objects with my planetary imagers using light pollution filters and that has not yielded anything successful either. I had an idea that maybe this new imager with the 174 chip might get something, it's a larger chip with big pixels and higher QE. I have posted the result below. I am not sure how this compares to others images taken from a sky of ~4 magnitude here is a link to my light pollution map. http://www.cleardark...Mn=apochromatic I have taken images from dark sky sites before and they have given similar results to these but I've never gotten any image from my front yard before.

I used 30 second sub exposure ~200 of them and ~70 dark frames. I tried to capture some bias but they ended up being a video instead of 50 image files so they couldn't get used. The gain was set to about 3/4 scale. The scope was my WO Zenithstar ED66 and the Meade .65 focal reducer, with Orion Ha narrowband filter. As stated ZWO ASI174MM-mini. This image was auto guided.

If this is a typical result I may be apt to start some nebua imaging again as I have been sticking mainly with the sun and planets because of my skies. I know the image is noisy and I could get the image a little cleaner with more exposure time, and by using multiple exposure times. This was just a test to see if I could get something with the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• butterfly nebulav2-1.jpg

Edited by edsplace, 23 October 2017 - 07:40 AM.

• PrestonE, telfish, NMBob and 1 other like this

#2 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Ed,

Nice result. Looks very promising. Looks like your camera will be quite versatile!

Ron Abbott

#3 edsplace

edsplace

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Do you know if this is typical data using Ha filters in heavy light pollution or could I do better? Also is it more difficult to get good OIII and SII data in light polluted locations?

#4 RandallK

RandallK

Vanguard

• **---
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

That's a pretty good image with that camera. I have one sitting on my 127MM MAK ready to do some Lunar imaging when the weather permits (if ever). Now that you have shown what this puppy can do, I look forward to putting it on my filter wheel and get some Ha results as well.

You did a great job in your "experiement". Thanks for showing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics