•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First DSO light - ASI174MM- comments wanted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 edsplace

edsplace

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

I have a newer ZWO ASI174MM-mini guide cam. In the past couple days I have used it for solar imaging the sun using my Lunt 60 Ha scope. I decided to try going after emission nebulas with it, so I purchased some narrow band filters. I choose IC1318B and C because they are convenient and easy to find in my Bortle 7 say. I have heavy light pollution living in Detroit. In the past I have had no sucess imaging and DSO's with my DSLR. I have tried to capture some smaller objects with my planetary imagers using light pollution filters and that has not yielded anything successful either. I had an idea that maybe this new imager with the 174 chip might get something, it's a larger chip with big pixels and higher QE. I have posted the result below. I am not sure how this compares to others images taken from a sky of ~4 magnitude here is a link to my light pollution map. http://www.cleardark...Mn=apochromatic I have taken images from dark sky sites before and they have given similar results to these but I've never gotten any image from my front yard before.

I used 30 second sub exposure ~200 of them and ~70 dark frames. I tried to capture some bias but they ended up being a video instead of 50 image files so they couldn't get used. The gain was set to about 3/4 scale. The scope was my WO Zenithstar ED66 and the Meade .65 focal reducer, with Orion Ha narrowband filter. As stated ZWO ASI174MM-mini. This image was auto guided.

If this is a typical result I may be apt to start some nebua imaging again as I have been sticking mainly with the sun and planets because of my skies. I know the image is noisy and I could get the image a little cleaner with more exposure time, and by using multiple exposure times. This was just a test to see if I could get something with the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• butterfly nebulav2-1.jpg

Edited by edsplace, 23 October 2017 - 07:40 AM.

• PrestonE, telfish, NMBob and 1 other like this

#2 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Ed,

Nice result. Looks very promising. Looks like your camera will be quite versatile!

Ron Abbott

#3 edsplace

edsplace

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Do you know if this is typical data using Ha filters in heavy light pollution or could I do better? Also is it more difficult to get good OIII and SII data in light polluted locations?

#4 RandallK

RandallK

Vanguard

• **---
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

That's a pretty good image with that camera. I have one sitting on my 127MM MAK ready to do some Lunar imaging when the weather permits (if ever). Now that you have shown what this puppy can do, I look forward to putting it on my filter wheel and get some Ha results as well.

You did a great job in your "experiement". Thanks for showing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics