•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement for styrofoam shipping container

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellicott

Ellicott

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

I have an 8" reflector from Orion that came shipped in a cardboard box with molded Styrofoam. The box is wearing out and the Styrofoam is breaking into pieces. I found a plastic tub to replace the cardboard box, but what can I use to replace the Styrofoam?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Apollo

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

You could get some cheap pillows from your local department store and cushion your telescope in them.  They would conform to the shape of the telescope and would make a nice comfy nest.  wink.gif

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

Hubble

• Loc: Montclair, NJ

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

To ship or to store. Just wonder y ur asking about a box when the mirror should be in a scope.grin.gif

#4 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

You could use insulating foam. Get a thin plastic bag like a dry cleaning bag and make sure the holes are taped closed. Line the box and the contents with the bag and fill the bag with the foam. The foam is really sticky until it cures, so the bag is there to contain the foam. The foam will expand to fill in gaps, and will absorb shock during shipping.

#5 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

You could ask around and find a local company with the same system we use to foam our products in place before shipment. A bit like KLWalsh describes, but the foam cures in 20 seconds flat.

The problem with ordinary canned foam is it takes a long time to cure in thick sections.

If you really want to though, you can buy two pack foam - often used for making flotation tanks in canoes +c That cures throughout the material in a minute or two.

#6 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

I made one of these with scrap lumber, an old electric train transformer, and a guitar wire.  The recreated a missing foam insert for an old 76mm refractor.  I also had a hutch full of crystal wear to pack, so I created pieces to cradle each item.  With one you could created foam cradles to fit the case and telescope using 2" foam insulation sheet from a big box hardware store.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bqG5I7sl8kk

Or create cradles out of wood and line them with felt.

Edited by Marc-Andre, 23 October 2017 - 05:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics