•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI294 MC pro

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#1 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

I just noticed this new camera. The specs look very interesting on paper. Does anybody know anything about the sensor?
Here is the link to the product page https://astronomy-im...94mc-pro-color/

Thanks!

#2 Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

Check out the EAA Forum for 294 Beta Test. There is a long discussion, and while centered on EAA, it does address some sensor capabilities.
  • andysea likes this

#3 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

I am interested in it also. I like the 14bit ADC and the buffer. It is also the one of the newest chips. With the issues with the ASI094 and the small difference in the sensor size. I think it is a good choice or will be.

#4 luiscalle

luiscalle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lima - Peru

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

I just recently bought the uncooled version of that camera, because my astrograph has a very short focal (f3.9).

Very sensitive and has a IMX294 4/3 sensor and a huge fullwell (63700e). Great device, comparable to the ASI071, despite its lower price (US$ 699 vía AliExpress, who sells 100 dollars less than ZWO Website).

Regards.

Luis.

#5 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

I am interested in it also. I like the 14bit ADC and the buffer. It is also the one of the newest chips. With the issues with the ASI094 and the small difference in the sensor size. I think it is a good choice or will be.

Do you mean issues with teh ASI071? The ASI094 is a massive full frame 36x24mm sensor, and is giant compared to the ASI294. I am also not aware of any issues the ASI094 has...

• BLACKDRAGON likes this

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

Too bad mono version is not available.

Peter

#7 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:58 AM

Hey everyone! This is my first post here on cloudy nights, but I recently bought the ZWO ASI 294MC Pro, and just wanted to say that I've been having great success with it. So far I'm taking 120s exposures at 350 gain, and my images are coming out amazing. This camera has been a massive improvement over my webcam that I was using for imaging before. My old camera was a sony 224 based chip and uncooled. That made it very difficult to achieve the level of quality I was looking for in my images. If anyone is interested, I've taken several images of various galaxies and nebula with the new zwo 294 pro, including an image of IC434 with over 21 hours of integration time to really see what can be done with the camera. Let me know if you are interested in seeing some of the images Ive managed to take, or if you'd like to see specific dark frames or whatnot. Clear Skies!

• tjugo, vlad dumitrescu and mumbles like this

#8 tjugo

tjugo

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Hey everyone! This is my first post here on cloudy nights, but I recently bought the ZWO ASI 294MC Pro, and just wanted to say that I've been having great success with it. So far I'm taking 120s exposures at 350 gain, and my images are coming out amazing. This camera has been a massive improvement over my webcam that I was using for imaging before. My old camera was a sony 224 based chip and uncooled. That made it very difficult to achieve the level of quality I was looking for in my images. If anyone is interested, I've taken several images of various galaxies and nebula with the new zwo 294 pro, including an image of IC434 with over 21 hours of integration time to really see what can be done with the camera. Let me know if you are interested in seeing some of the images Ive managed to take, or if you'd like to see specific dark frames or whatnot. Clear Skies!

Sure. Please share your work 

• ito304 and Steven Hanaway like this

#9 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Alright, so to see what this camera (ZWO 294 Pro) can do, and to see how good my processing skills and software is, I imaged IC 434, The Horsehead nebula. This image is 653 2 minute exposures at 350 gain, cooling at -15C. Imaged from my backyard observatory in Texas, USA, named The Sidewinder Observatory. Imaged through a 31mm Astronomik L2 Filter for its UV/IR cut (in a ZWO mini filterwheel), on a Skywatcher 100 ED Pro with the matching Skywatcher .85x FF/FR with exactly 55mm of backspacing. Guide scope and camera is a QHY5L-II M and QHY Mini Guide Scope. Mount is an Ioptron ZEQ25GT on a 5.5" mini pier and 2" Tripod. Software used was PHD2 for guiding, Sharpcap 3 for polar alignment, camera control, filterwheel control, and capture, Cartes Du Ciel to control my mount, Deep Sky Stacker for image stacking and calibration, StarTools for post processing and color calibration, Optec terminal to control a custom flats panel/dust cover and dew heater solution I built, and Splashtop to control everything remotely from various places. Data was taken over 5 nights, 100 darks, and bias, and 100 flats and flat darks for each session. I hope you enjoy my image and that it can give you an idea of what the camera can do (hopefully my processing skills aren't too bad!) Image attached is low quality version, please see Astrobin link for high quality version. Clear Skies! http://astrob.in/329732/0/

IC 434 Final 15Jan2018 watermarked compressed.jpg

• elwaine, Pess, HaleBopper and 12 others like this

#10 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

Nice! I bought one of these cameras recently and I am really pleased with it. It produces excellent deep colors.
  • Steven Hanaway likes this

#11 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Wonderful image. Love how Alnitak looks as well. That AR coating on the sensor really shines here.
  • Steven Hanaway likes this

#12 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Thanks! I'm currently re-processing the image to bring out the dark nebulosity alot more, as all the information is there in the image. I'm glad to hear that ya'll like my image, that means alot!

#13 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Ok, so here is a quickly processed image to show what more of that dark nebulosity below IC 434 looks like. I hope its help, and if you have a moment, please let me know which one you think looks better. I am really pleased with the sensitivity and the full well depth of this camera. It allows imaging of targets that are both bright and very dim in the same frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• IC 434 Vibrant 14Jan2018 watermarked compressed.jpg

• elwaine, thonybear, poobie and 7 others like this

#14 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

I like version II better.

• poobie and Steven Hanaway like this

#15 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

Thanks! I think the second one is the image I'm going to post to my facebook, I upload a daily APOD there with accompanying information. I image alot! If anyone is interested to see any other images I've taken with the camera, or would like to see something specific imaged let me know and I'll see what I can do. Clear Skies!

#16 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:14 AM

Very nice! Just a question if you don't mind. There is a purplish cast around Alnitak and some of the nebulosity. Is that, a result of the L2 filter?

#17 oneeyedoggie

oneeyedoggie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

Awesome image Steven! The V2 is my favourite.

When you took the images, did you bin them? 

Also, was there an issues with debayering in DSS?

Thanks Cam

#18 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

I have had no issues with debayering in DSS, I simply check the monochrome 16 bit fits files are made by a DSLR or color CCD camera box, and have the Generic RGGB debayer pattern selected. As for the purple cast around Alnitak and some of the nebulosity, I don't think that is a result of the L2 filter, but glare on the main optics of my refractor. There is more glare in the top left of the image as well, and I seem to get that on different cameras with or without filters of any brand. I keep my optics relativly dust clean with a blower, and because I image every moment that it is clear, I normally have to clean everything once every month or two. It is possible there is some sort of grime on the optics somewhere that I was not able to find and clean, but that was there even without a filter, and with a different camera as well. Here is another image I took of The Leo Triplet recently, this image is only 4hrs 58 mins of 120s exposures at 350g through the same L2 filter. I have images of large galaxies like Andromeda and Triangulum if those would be helpful in determining the capabilities of this camera. all of my images with it so far have been taken at F/7.65, and the sensor seems to be very sensitive with a low amount of noise. Clear Skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• The Leo Triplet 15Jan2018 watermarked compressed.jpg

• elwaine, mega256, rlsarma and 1 other like this

#19 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Do you have some more of your work uploaded to Astrobin? I only see the Horsey, Triplet, and a Jupiter pic up there. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 18 January 2018 - 07:32 PM.

#20 oneeyedoggie

oneeyedoggie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

That's great ! An excellent image of the Triplet. I appreciate the info because I'm looking into this camera also. 

Keep up the good work.

#21 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:13 AM

Thanks! That's all I have on astrobin so far, I'm going to be adding more images soon, I release a new on everyday :)
  • sandybourne, oneeyedoggie and rlsarma like this

#22 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

Here is another image I took of The Leo Triplet recently, this image is only 4hrs 58 mins of 120s exposures at 350g through the same L2 filter. I have images of large galaxies like Andromeda and Triangulum if those would be helpful in determining the capabilities of this camera. all of my images with it so far have been taken at F/7.65, and the sensor seems to be very sensitive with a low amount of noise. Clear Skies!

Well, actually, to me that seems like a lot of noise in the background, especially for 5 hours exposure time.

#23 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:48 AM

here is one of the two images that I got with this camera so far. This is 2 hours of data.

Attached Thumbnails

• LDN1622.jpg

• Mert, elwaine, A. Viegas and 10 others like this

#24 Steven Hanaway

Steven Hanaway

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Wow! that's really nice! What software do you use to process your data? Here is an image of the Rosette Nebula I recently took using 60s exposures at 350g. Also, what settings are you using to capture your images? So far I have only been doing 120s or 60s exposures at 350 gain. I'm thinking of doing some 10-15 minute exposures at 120 gain.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 2244 v3 04Jan2018 watermarked compressed.jpg

• Foobaria and ito304 like this

#25 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

here is one of the two images that I got with this camera so far. This is 2 hours of data.

Also a highlighted image on ZWO's site for the camera as well. Such a good image!! For a OSC camera this thing seems pretty amazing!

• calypsob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics