•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 2080 8" GEM SCH-Cass

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

This scope was given to me several weeks ago. The optics are very good, secondary will need a new coating in the future> has the silver coating. The coating for the mirror  and corrector plate looks new. Came with original 8x50mm straight through finder and 1.25" diagonal, counter weight, and trunk. No eyepieces..

This scope was made before  or near at the time of Halley's comet, The registration card has December 1986. 

The one thing I do not understand why the previous owner did not buy the drive motor for it.

The mount has a polar scope, fine adjustments for latitude and azimuth. Very smooth motions in both axis

MY QUESTION IS it possible to get a drive, I know I could put in the wanted section here on Cloudy Nights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 004.jpg

• tim53, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#2 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

Jim, 

I'm familiar with the scope, but back in those days, SCT's were not on GEMs.

They were all fork mounted. So #1...that's not stock Meade from the era.

I'm not a mount wiz, so I can't tell you what mount head that is....my guess is it's more modern than the scope, but other's here are way way sharper than this old blade. Maybe someone will chime in......

Almost any EQ can be motorized....given enough modification. The question is, is it worth the expense?

Mount looks really pretty nice, but the wooden legs are kinda'......odd.  Almost like the mount is a mash-up of different mounts and era's.

Are there any identifying tags/ serial numbers anywhere on the mount head or tripod? 

• rolo likes this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:15 AM

Looks like the GEM from around 1987...  It was a copy cat mount of the SP mount in a way and was a big Meade flop.

Edited by CHASLX200, 25 October 2017 - 05:17 AM.

• Augustus and AUricle like this

#4 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

How quickly does the mount settle? I have never used such a setup, but intuitively, it looks under-mounted. It looks as though someone took a GEM that was a size or two too small, and borrowed legs from a still smaller telescope. It should be possible stiffen the legs to improve dampening. Entire threads have been written on creative bracing.

My club was given such a scope on its original fork mount. The tarnished silvered optics were ugly to the eye, yet still threw good images. We loaned it to another club that used it for outreach for about a year, with great success.

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

How quickly does the mount settle? I have never used such a setup, but intuitively, it looks under-mounted. It looks as though someone took a GEM that was a size or two too small, and borrowed legs from a still smaller telescope. It should be possible stiffen the legs to improve dampening. Entire threads have been written on creative bracing.

My club was given such a scope on its original fork mount. The tarnished silvered optics were ugly to the eye, yet still threw good images. We loaned it to another club that used it for outreach for about a year, with great success.

That is what MEADE sold and it was called the GEM.

• Augustus likes this

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

The original drive was a Model 784, very hard to find. I believe it a Carton made mount.

Edited by rolo, 25 October 2017 - 06:50 AM.

• jim kuhns and Augustus like this

#7 ccaissie

ccaissie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Our club received a 2080, looks good, secondary was pretty corroded.  Testing it, it needs some correction, so I'm doing some touch up before coating it.  

You'll see the thread over on the ATM forum.  I haven't researched the best coater for this, but I'll have that info in my thread/blog so you can take advantage of my research.  I suspect an enhanced super reflective coating would be the best, and maybe not too expensive given the size....

C

• Augustus likes this

#8 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

Here are some more pictures. Not the best, taken with a phone.
Found another one of these mounts here on CN back earlier this year. It is also known as a Mizar
RV85.
This scope and mount was bought in NYC. Dealer name on registration card"47th street Camera Shop".
On the registration card the serial number 809907. Bought on December 1986.
If you tried this mount out I think you would be surprised to the stability.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg

• Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

Meade tried to compete with the SP C8 at that time.

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#10 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida, USA, with grandson Ethan

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

I just installed a Celestron Logic Drive on my Meade LXD75 and tested it last night. It worked great and the motor speed is fully adjustable. Both lunar and sidereal speeds were easy to adjust for. It's part number 93514 and it came with 2 brackets for CG-2 and CG-3 mounts so you have some flexibility. It will run for up to 40 hours on a 9v battery. It cost $39.95 which included shipping from Agena Astro.

I was curious if it would induce some vibration so I tested it on the double-double, Epsilon Lyra. My 5.5mm UWA on my 80mm f/11.4 gives 165x. The image with the Stars nicely split was clean and sharp with the motor running and the same turned off, just letting it drift through the field. I have yet to try it with my 6" Newtonian at a higher power but so far I'm happy with the results. It is light-weight keeping the mount, OTA, and motor drive w/ battery all in one 42 pound piece to pack out the door.

#11 astrofarmer

astrofarmer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

Hi Jim

I have had this telescope since 1987.  I have always felt despite being made in the Halley years it has very good optical quality.  As has already been said it was designed to compete with Celestron's Super Polaris C8

Meade did make a drive # 784 which ran only the RA .  They also made a computer style drive #3000 which had motors for both RA and DEC. IO think that is shown in the picture you show above.  Jim's Mobile also made a RA drive which I have had for many years.  The motor did burn out eventually and I was able to get a new one from them way back in the nineties  It has since burned out again several years ago, but sadly JMI no longer makes the drive of has any parts.  I should try to see if I can find a replacement motor somewhere-just haven't had the time.  The drive worked by putting a gear on the slow motion control and this meshed with a smaller gear on the motor.  It had control for drive reversal and 2X and 8X speeds.  I also remember seeing a couple of years ago a AC run drive that was sold for this scope, however when I investigated it also was no longer made.  Can't remember where I saw it, but I really had hoped to get it as I have had this scope in my observatory for many years and could have simply plugged into  AC.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy the scope-it has been a good workhorse for me for many years.  All the best, Gary

#12 gammmacc

gammmacc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:55 AM

I am also looking to replace or repair my 784 motor

#13 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:12 AM

https://www.ebay.com...497.m4902.l9144

#14 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

Thanks rolo for the site . I gave the scope to a father and son last year that lives here and they  have put it to good use.

• rolo likes this

#15 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

Cool! That very nice of you to do that! I'll never forget the long cold nights observing with my son back when he's was 11 & 12! Now he's 30, a GA Tech grad and just got engaged! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics