•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WSP 2018 @ Chiefland Astronomy Village

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

It's Official!! Registration is Now Open!!!!

The 2018 Winter Star Party will be held at Chiefland Astronomy Village February 12th through February 18th 2018. Please go to www.scas.org  to register for your tickets and pre-order your official Winter Star Party merchandise.

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Are you sure about this? 9:26 CDT when I last looked. I followed the link, and even navigated around some. I registered with an email address and password. The site does not mention Chiefland (near Gainesville?). And there are no links for tickets or pre-ordering WSP stuff. Is there a different site maybe with this information? Thanks for sharing.

#3 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

The website does not appear to be updated yet. Sorry about that. Yes I am sure about this, I am on the Southern Cross Astronomical Association board which hosts the Winter Star Party. This information was posted by Winter Star Party Host Coordinator, Charlie Perillo, on the WSP Yahoo Group. Here is the link...

https://groups.yahoo...s/messages/6160

#4 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Vanguard

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

1. What kind of lodging is available?

2. How does the sky compare with Scout Key?

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

There are hookups for RVs, plenty of camping space and there are two hotels in Chiefland. The hotels are not as close as the ones in the the keys. I think that it would be best to stay on-site.

The skies in Chiefland are good and generally dark. There is nothing to the west but to the east there is the sky glow of Gainesville and to the north the sky glow of Chiefland. Last time I went there was nothing to the south but I don't know if that has changed in the last 3 years or so.

The location itself is very well suited for astronomy.

#6 ybor

ybor

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Can't log in to register ?

I am not a member of Club but the new Web site does not have my old password or log in ?

Thank you 

#7 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

I'm registered.....got a room for the week.....my observing buddy from South Carolina is able to come......
And the wait begins!!!!!!!!!!

#8 JNDiller

JNDiller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Munhall, PA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

Tried to register but it's an unsecured site....

#9 ybor

ybor

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

Tried to register , used previous log in , try to create a new log  in and nothing has worked .

Need help to register or to get a registration form mailed to me .

Is there a phone number or email so I can contact the person needed to register ?

Thanks 

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Tried to register , used previous log in , try to create a new log  in and nothing has worked .

Need help to register or to get a registration form mailed to me .

Is there a phone number or email so I can contact the person needed to register ?

Thanks 

Unfortunately, we do not allow personal phone numbers or personal e-mails to be posted in the forums. You might be able to PM the OP for this information if he has it.

#11 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hello all, the site is working. You need to register first at...

http://scas.org/Acco...rPrevMembership

Fill in the information and then you will receive a confirmation email. Click on the link in the email to confirm registration, sign in and THEN you can register for WSP. This is a new process for us so please be patient. Let me know if you experience any issues registering and I can forward the information to our webmaster. Or feel free to send me a PM so that I can help you.

Edited by crazyqban, 27 October 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#12 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Sergio. I hope to be coming this year and with it being at Chiefland I have a much shorter drive which will cut out 1000 miles round trip.

• crazyqban likes this

#13 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:49 AM

Thanks Sergio. I hope to be coming this year and with it being at Chiefland I have a much shorter drive which will cut out 1000 miles round trip.

For me it's much further!!! Hope to see you there.

• 3 i Guy and JimMo like this

#14 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Me too, Sergio. I will miss Key Fisheries for lunch, but last year when I was at Cheifland I did find a good seafood place near Cedar Key. Cheifland AV is a nice place to observe, darker than Scout Key for sure. I parked on the east end of the field by the fence to give the best southern horizon, but Omega Centuari was noticeably lower. Can't have everything. 

• crazyqban likes this

#15 Carl Wright

Carl Wright

Vostok 1

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

If staying offsite. There is the Days Inn & Quality Inn. Mention WSP Star party for discount. Book EARLY!!! Rooms will fill fast Reminder to Sergio, WARM CLOTHES not t-shirt and shorts.

#16 Napp

Napp

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Copied this from the WSP Facebook page.  Looks like we will have those wonderful brownies!

Attached Thumbnails

• WSP capture 10312017.JPG

• JNDiller likes this

#17 Napp

Napp

Viking 1

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

One more update copied from the WSP Facebook page:

Attached Thumbnails

• WSP capture 10312017.JPG

• JNDiller and mdowns like this

#18 ybor

ybor

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

Has anyone contacted the vendors ?

I have spoken to 2 WSP vendors and they thought the Star Party this year had been canceled .

Please have someone contact them and maybe because the distance is shorter we might get more vendors this year .

Thanks

#19 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Vendors are always cool for browsing but like the FB post above it's the sky that's the main attraction. I couldn't commit to last year's WSP but was at Cheifland for two nights last January and really enjoyed myself. Very relaxing and quiet. It'll be a little different with the WSP but that's OK, too.

Manatee State Park was really cool, but I didn't see any manatees. There is a real BBQ joint in the picnic area next to the springs that I plan on eating at a couple of times for lunch.

I just registered and will be sending SCAS a check tonight.  grin.gif

Edited by JimMo, 01 November 2017 - 12:39 PM.

• crazyqban likes this

#20 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hello all, FYI... donations are being accepted by the Girl Scouts to help fund the rebuilding of Camp Wesumkee. See below...

Yes the GirlScout are committed to rebuild.
  http://www.girlscout...ricaneirma.html

You can donate to their effort (that link comes from the page above, you presumably prefer looking for it there instead of taking my word for it):
    https://crm.bloomera...idgetId=4892672

Edited by crazyqban, 06 November 2017 - 01:00 AM.

#21 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

A minor side note for some: The Daytona 500 is Feb. 18th... last day of WSP;

from Chiefland, Daytona is East via Rte. 27 to Ocala until you hit 60th St.,  then south one Street on 60th St....until you hit Rte. 40, turn left, then straight East across FL to I- 95 and Ormond Beach... then south to Daytona ..,

for those who are interested in a side trip while you are in FL, tickets must be bought in advance and are avail according to seating and prices on Daytona 500's website: 

Just posting this because some who might be interested need to purchase Daytona 500 tickets in advance... oh and because it is for some a bucket list item... I know it is for me... snoopy2.gif   

Edited by kellyvictoria, 07 November 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#22 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Vanguard

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

This also means you may not be able to find a motel room on you way out, and if you do, your discount coupons will be invalid. 

#23 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

This also means you may not be able to find a motel room on you way out, and if you do, your discount coupons will be invalid. 

yes, true if coming from Key West, as that is farther... but coming from Chiefland headed to the east coast of FL is closer...

I know when going north up I-95 even when leaving late in the day we try to get up past Georgia (on I-95, 100mi south to north) and South Carolina (250mi south to north).

We say here it takes longer to get out of south Florida than anywhere else... almost like getting out of Texas... a big big state... but your completely right... good to think ahead...

The Daytona route is strictly to go to the Daytona 500...

The main route out of FL from Chiefland is straight East to Ocala then (using a GPS, to Rte. 301 to I-95/Jacksonville)...   

I don't know if Feb. 17th-18th is a workday or a weekend, but it is always best to travel out of FL avoiding the rush hour step.gif here... definitely avoid the rush hour getting out of FL...  

Edited by kellyvictoria, 07 November 2017 - 07:03 PM.

• Doc Willie likes this

#24 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hello all, FYI... donations are being accepted by the Girl Scouts to help fund the rebuilding of Camp Wesumkee. See below...

You can donate to their effort (that link comes from the page above, you presumably prefer looking for it there instead of taking my word for it):

Thank you. I was hoping to find out how to donate for their rebuilding efforts.

Are there pictures or reports of just how bad Camp Wesumkee fared?

#25 Napp

Napp

Viking 1

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:34 AM

Thank you. I was hoping to find out how to donate for their rebuilding efforts.

Are there pictures or reports of just how bad Camp Wesumkee fared?

Check the Cloudy Nights Forum topic WSP 2018 for posts with links to pictures and videos.  The buildings suffered extensive damage.  The women's bath house was completely destroyed.  Vegetation was almost completely stripped away.  I remember reading that the eyewall and a 9 foot storm surge hit the camp.  Ironically, the condemned building behind where Micki's Kitchen is usually set up appeared to suffer very little damage.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics