•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A life-long dream realized at last

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caitie

Caitie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NW NJ

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

I waited around 60 years, from the time I was a child and my dad got me interested in the stars and told me about the last total eclipse in our area in 1925, when he was a young teenager, to see a total solar eclipse. I have friends in SD who have friends in Alliance, NE, so I was able to go to realise my dream, and it was gorgeous. The great plains in the summer are usually hot and sunny, but on eclipse morning we woke to gray, damp skies, something I've never seen out there. Thankfully, it burned off in plenty of time and the eclipse was spectacular. I have photos I can post if you like, but I see you already have a lot. I was so happy with the large corona we had, and the sun was very active with lots of spots on that day. This was worth every year I waited, every penny I spent and every mile I traveled (about 1600 each way). I saw shadow bands on the prairie grass just before totality, the moon's conical shadow engulf us, and the beauty of the eclipse itself. It met all my expectations and more and I feel very blessed to have been there. It's nice to be here and I look forward to interacting with you and getting to know you.

Clear skies!

Caitie

• zjc26138, Scott in NC, SteveInNZ and 5 others like this

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:49 AM

Welcome!  Very glad you got to see it.  Hopefully you'll get to see the next one, too.

#3 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Welcome aboard! Post those photos, the more the merrier! smile.gif

#4 winstar

winstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

I was there in Alliance with you watching from a hilltop above Wells Ranch, south of town. It was simply incredible and the weather was a relief. Welcome!

#5 Caitie

Caitie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NW NJ

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for your replies and welcome messages! In response to Winstar, I know what you mean. I've travelled to the Great Plains many times in summer and the weather has always been hot and sunny, as it was this year UNTIL the morning of the eclipse. We woke to what looked like dawn at Cape Cod; foggy, wet and cool. I thought, "Oh, no, I came 1600 miles for this and waited a lifetime. NO FOG TODAY!!"

Thankfully, it burned off and the eclipse was wonderful, but that was the only time I've ever seen a morning out there look like that in the summer. We were very lucky, and I was very thankful, for the clear skies by eclipse time. There were a few wispy clouds at the very early stages, not enough to impede our vision, and for totality, it was completely clear. I'll remember this for the rest of my life.

I would love to upload photos, but the site says the files are too large and I have no idea how to overcome that. The photos I have are very much like those in the December issue of "Astronomy" magazine, though, if anyone gets that one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics