•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unofficial SharpCap Quick Start Guide

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Here is the first very early draft release of the Unofficial SharpCap quick start guide. It is still pretty rough but I wanted to get it out there for comments and feedback rather than write it in a vacuum.

I intend to keep this guide very simple and easy to read and is primarily targeted at new(er) users with some additional topics for existing users based on typical issues faced.

I remember the first time I used SharpCap and was quite intimidated by the interface (I was used to Starlight Live and Infinity prior to switching). If you are having that feeling or have had that feeling this guide is for you.

There are many paths through the SharpCap interface but I have picked one that is easy to start with and explain. But once you get comfortable don't be limited by this guide.

I hope you find it useful and would really appreciate your comments, feedback and suggestions on how to develop the content.

EDIT: Made some minor corrections today (Oct 30) AM. Please re-download.

Download here: https://www.amazon.c...zbBa3qVWiYDIgVS

Edited by Astrojedi, 30 October 2017 - 11:26 AM.

• FrankG, Ptarmigan, Starman27 and 22 others like this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

I read it just now. I'd say you are off to a pretty good start. One thing to possibly consider - some users of cameras where there is no native camera support may have to rely on the ASCOM connection, so any tips or examples of how that can limit the user and what they can try might be helpful for first timers with SharpCap.

#3 FrankG

FrankG

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverdam, Va.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Here is the first very early draft release of the Unofficial SharpCap quick start guide. It is still pretty rough but I wanted to get it out there for comments and feedback rather than write it in a vacuum.

I intend to keep this guide very simple and easy to read and is primarily targeted at new(er) users with some additional topics for existing users based on typical issues faced.

I remember the first time I used SharpCap and was quite intimidated by the interface (I was used to Starlight Live and Infinity prior to switching). If you are having that feeling or have had that feeling this guide is for you.

There are many paths through the SharpCap interface but I have picked one that is easy to start with and explain. But once you get comfortable don't be limited by this guide.

I hope you find it useful and would really appreciate your comments, feedback and suggestions on how to develop the content.

This is great and could not be more timely for me - thanks!

Frank

#4 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

This guide is right on target.  I am thankful for all your work!

Tim

• Astrojedi likes this

#5 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Excellent!  Exactly what I was hoping for.  Thanks!

smp

• Astrojedi likes this

#6 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

Thanks everyone. Please feel free to provide suggestions for additional topics for the next version.

Errol, good suggestion. Let me look into that. This is likely to be very camera specific as some manufacturers SDKs are more full featured than others. But a general discussion could be useful.

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#7 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

Great start!

#8 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

KISS. Nicely done, that should get anyone going on sharpcap quickly.

• Astrojedi likes this

#9 makeitso

makeitso

Mariner 2

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

Thank you for this!

Jack

• Astrojedi likes this

#10 NaNuu

NaNuu

Mariner 2

• Loc: Germany

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for that guide! It seems just what I was looking for - I gave it also to some colleague who will be starting EAA later that year. If there are some comments from that true beginner, I'll post them!

• Astrojedi likes this

#11 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Hiten. This will prove useful. 

Perhaps you could give sample runs with your approach for different object types (faint vs bright) and tips for positioning the histogram peak.

• Kaikul likes this

#12 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Rob. I will look into this.

#13 zehnmm

zehnmm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Colony, TX

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for doing this!  I am a newbie to all this and the manual is very helpful to me.

• Astrojedi likes this

#14 selfo

selfo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boulder CO

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thank You Astrojedi..  Your document could not have come at a better time.  Recently the monitor on my Revolution R2 Imager broke so I loaded Sharpcap the other night on my laptop.  Using M41 as my target I got some pretty good images but I think I just muddled through with no idea of what I was doing.   The virtue of Sharpcap seems to me to be the tremendous control you have over the image.  However for the uninitiated like me the converse is also true so it’s going to be a learning curve before I am comfortable with it.  

Looking forward to Sharpcap now

• Robrj and Astrojedi like this

#15 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thanks sharing this interesting info. I think that it indeed addresses the most common issues "newcomers" experiences.

I propose to consider adding 2 items:

1. Section 3 - Typical exposure settings for different camera's.

Some typical exposure times (based on my experience with the ASI290MM):

- globular clusters: 1 - 2 s

- galaxies: 4 - 8 s

- nebulae: 10 - 30 s

2. Section 3 - Achieving good colour balance.

Using/checking the histogram.

• S1mas and Astrojedi like this

#16 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

Just ordered a zwo290mm this morning. Thank you Hiten! This should be a sticky on EAA. +ahem+
  • Astrojedi likes this

#17 rebelxts

rebelxts

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Astrojedi, thank you for the guide, this is very helpful as I've just started looking for alternatives to AstroLive (which was a good tool, but is no longer under development).

Thanks for doing so much for the EAA community!

• Astrojedi likes this

#18 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and comments. Here is v0.2 of the SharpCap Quick Start guide. 

Deep Sky Observing with SharpCap v3+ - The Unofficial Quick Start Guide v0.2

Added 3 new sections and other minor changes:

- Creating and applying dark frame calibration

- Checking bit depth of the stack

- Illustrative histogram settings for various objects.

As always this is a work in progress so there may be errors and omissions. If you spot any please let me know.

My aim is to keep developing the content incrementally in an iterative fashion with feedback for the users. Of course the frequency of update will depend on my available time and I may prioritize development of certain content for maximum benefit to the readers.

• Starman27, mega256, S1mas and 6 others like this

#19 Kaikul

Kaikul

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Thank you all for the feedback and comments. Here is v0.2 of the SharpCap Quick Start guide. 

Deep Sky Observing with SharpCap v3+ - The Unofficial Quick Start Guide v0.2

Added 3 new sections and other minor changes:

- Creating and applying dark frame calibration

- Checking bit depth of the stack

- Illustrative histogram settings for various objects.

As always this is a work in progress so there may be errors and omissions. If you spot any please let me know.

My aim is to keep developing the content incrementally in an iterative fashion with feedback for the users. Of course the frequency of update will depend on my available time and I may prioritize development of certain content for maximum benefit to the readers.

Hiten, as with the other folks who already did, I thank you for creating this document and it's continued development. This is an excellent companion to the official SharpCap document.

• Astrojedi likes this

#20 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

I watch this thread daily.  Your Guide is very well done.  I was pleased to see you are listening to us and making the Guide better with each version.  Now I need the skies to cooperate so I can practice. 

Thanks

Tim

• Astrojedi likes this

#21 Hubert

Hubert

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

Very impressive. Thank you very much.   bow.gif

• Astrojedi likes this

#22 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

This is one of those guides that is the equivalent to a bible. Excellent writing skill also.

• Astrojedi likes this

#23 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

VERY well done,,,,good stuff.

• Astrojedi likes this

#24 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Really appreciate all of the effort and hard work you have so far put into this manual. I look forward to even more as it goes and just want to thank you for this great well needed information.

Steve

• Astrojedi likes this

#25 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

I like it. It is easy to read and simple. waytogo.gif

Edited by Ptarmigan, 08 November 2017 - 07:54 PM.

• Astrojedi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics