•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unofficial SharpCap Quick Start Guide

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 goldtr8

goldtr8

Vostok 1

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the updated document.   I really like the trouble shooting section for stacking.   I have only used my system 6 times now with great success but stacking was my Achilles and your write up makes sense to me.

Cheers & Beers.  

• Astrojedi likes this

#77 donstim

donstim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:24 AM

My point to you was if you want to post process don't save with adjustments as you lose data & dynamic range by stretching and then saving the stretched image. 

True, but I don't really do much more processing post live stacking/stretching with SharpCap.  Mainly just cleanup and labeling and maybe some slight additional stretches.  I've tried discarding the SharpCap-stretched images and started with the unstretched FITS files, but I have a hard time just duplicating what I can do fairly quickly in SharpCap let alone substantially improving it. Mind you, I am just using GIMP (and either DSS or PIPP for debayering if starting with an unstretched FITS file).  I don't want to spend hours either imaging or post-processing.  It's EAA, but then includes some further cleanup (which may include some additional stretching), which then takes it out of the realm of EAA, but nowhere near astrophotographic imaging.

As for where the debayering is done, I assume the camera driver just uses simple nearest neighbor interpolation for debayering, which is quick and simple, but which can leave a lot of color aberrations, especially at edges.  I don't know what SharpCap uses, but I assume it uses at least bilinear interpolation.  (Maybe I should make these assumptions!)  When I did work with the SharpCap FITS files, I used much higher order interpolation methods available in DSS or PIPP for debayering.

I continue to be amazed at what one can do with SharpCap live stacking in a suburban backyard.

#78 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Very nice updates! Thank you

In step 6 you discuss the histogram... but the illustration doesn't really help. Could you use an illustration that has the sliders surrounding the peak? It's a bit confusing.

#79 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

Very nice updates! Thank you

In step 6 you discuss the histogram... but the illustration doesn't really help. Could you use an illustration that has the sliders surrounding the peak? It's a bit confusing.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update that section.

#80 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

True, but I don't really do much more processing post live stacking/stretching with SharpCap.  Mainly just cleanup and labeling and maybe some slight additional stretches.  I've tried discarding the SharpCap-stretched images and started with the unstretched FITS files, but I have a hard time just duplicating what I can do fairly quickly in SharpCap let alone substantially improving it. Mind you, I am just using GIMP (and either DSS or PIPP for debayering if starting with an unstretched FITS file).  I don't want to spend hours either imaging or post-processing.  It's EAA, but then includes some further cleanup (which may include some additional stretching), which then takes it out of the realm of EAA, but nowhere near astrophotographic imaging.

As for where the debayering is done, I assume the camera driver just uses simple nearest neighbor interpolation for debayering, which is quick and simple, but which can leave a lot of color aberrations, especially at edges.  I don't know what SharpCap uses, but I assume it uses at least bilinear interpolation.  (Maybe I should make these assumptions!)  When I did work with the SharpCap FITS files, I used much higher order interpolation methods available in DSS or PIPP for debayering.

I continue to be amazed at what one can do with SharpCap live stacking in a suburban backyard.

Fair points. For touch up it’s fine.

I have not noticed much of a difference between the driver and SharpCap wrt debayering.  Bilinear is the most common algorithm used in Astro software so it is possible the driver also uses that. But either way to me it is irrelevant for EAA.

#81 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

I don’t see a gamma setting anymore to use with a 224 camera? Is it hidden somewhere ?

#82 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:53 AM

Thanks again Hiten for this great manual!

• octobass and Astrojedi like this

#83 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

I don’t see a gamma setting anymore to use with a 224 camera? Is it hidden somewhere ?

Good catch. I found a number of errors. Will update and repost shortly.

#84 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:24 PM

Updated the guide to fix a few errors. Thank you all for the feedback. There are still some gremlins that I need to fix. Will post another update in 1-2 weeks.

New version here: https://liveastronom...g/SharpCap.html

Edited by Astrojedi, 14 August 2019 - 07:11 PM.

• DuaneS and eros312 like this

#85 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Hiten,

Link is coming up broken for me.

#86 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Hiten,

Link is coming up broken for me.

It is broken for me as well, but if you go back to the link he posted on (IIRC) the 8th:  https://liveastronom...g/SharpCap.html that link works for me and it appears to be the most recent version.

#87 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Strange. Just updated my post. Please try it now. Thx.

#88 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:02 AM

Yep, all good now. scratchhead2.gif

#89 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

First of all, this guide has kept me going with Sharpcap!!!  It is invaluable!

I would suggest that you somehow highlight, perhaps with a shaded color, changes for each update. It would help people to quickly scan the document to see what is new or changed. 

Fantastic help!!!

Tim

• Stargazer3236 likes this

#90 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think a change log may make sense. 

• BJS likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics