•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the photos of......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:08 PM

Greetings!

Could someone help me find photos of some 19th century refractors please? I'm sure there are some here, but I can't find them. I'm looking for something made of brass with elaborately engraved parts and intricate clockworks. I'm sure the posters on this forum know just what I'm after.

Please don't take up your valuable time and space reposting the images, just a little help finding them would be great.

BTW, that Edmund Scientific reflector on the fork mount took me back to my teens when I used to drool over their catalog! I always thought that was Sooooo groovy! (Still do!)

Thanks!

Tim

#2 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:14 PM

http://www.justfurfu...s_and_acces.htm

Norvin
Post #447

#3 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Norvin!

#4 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

Saw those scopes at Astrofest last year. He did a beautiful job on the restoration. Two people that belonged to our club at one time or other own Clarks. A current member has a 4" and a former member and total wacked out eccentric owns a 10" Clark. Last I heard he was teetering on the deep end and no one wanted to even talk to him, including the owner of the 4" who was a good friend at one time.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

A current member has a 4" and a former member and total wacked out eccentric owns a 10" Clark. Last I heard he was teetering on the deep end and no one wanted to even talk to him, including the owner of the 4" who was a good friend at one time.

Yes, premium refractors will do that to you. You had better see if you can get away from that Vixen. I'd be glad to see if I can help you dispose of it... :roflmao:

#6 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:21 PM

In your dreams...

#7 Rockman

Rockman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:21 AM

Here is the 11.5 Warner/Swayse at our local University Observatory. Its a piece of art, sooooo kewl. Counterweight clock driven with rotating governor system. It gives fairly decent views but remember it is over 100 years old. It went thru the 1966 Tornado that tore the dome off and ripped the objective from the tube. It could use a good cleaning but it performs well

Posted Image

http://www.washburn....rane/index.html

#8 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:26 PM

Thanks everyone!

I am the proud holder of a 19th century microscope that I know nothing more about. It is a real work of art. The feet on this thing are cast like lion's paws and the whole body of it is polished brass with delicate engravings. There's just something about that period in history where even the most utilitarian objects were treated as fine art!

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics