•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reflector Telescope

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Looks like you are on a very interesting project, Anthony! 3kg is not bad at all, some years ago I was trying something similar with a Leitz lens that was close to 10 kg. I gave up and sold it.

Arne

#27 Eikonal

Eikonal

Vostok 1

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

Anthony:

Brilliant!

So, the next thing I'd try would be attaching a camera:

The lens will be a rather fast one, so that the most benefit to be gotten out of it would be by photographic use with a DSLR.

Since you have 130 mm of back focus, I'd agree with the previous postings that the most economic way of bringing the thing to good use is attaching some sort of 2" focuser to the back of the lens. Then you can mount your Nikon by means of a simple T2 adaptor, and also, if you so choose, attach an eyepiece.

Depending on the field, you may not even need tracking for short(ish) exposures.

Since it's autumn, you could try a shot at some larger object like M42/M43.

All the best.

• Antony.Smith likes this

#28 Antony.Smith

Antony.Smith

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

Ranger/Vostok

Just going to try a temporary adapter with some Tufnol tube and use the Orion unit sliding along the five inch focus plane, if this works I will make something more permanent, and try with the camera. But i need to be able to view things properly first.

Anthony

Edited by Antony.Smith, 02 November 2017 - 03:28 PM.

• aneeg likes this

#29 Antony.Smith

Antony.Smith

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Vostok

I have had a look at how to find M42/M43 and will certainly have an attempt when I have things working.

Thanks Again

Edited by Antony.Smith, 02 November 2017 - 03:27 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics