•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photos of your vintage/classic Microscope

classic equipment
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Thank you NGC704.

BH2 microscopes are a rather rare occurance over here. I supppose many of those are still in use in schools, university and clinical labs etc.

However: every once in a while a few pop up.

In basic configuration, the BHT isn't all that expensive over here: I paid € 250 = $282 for the one mentioned above, who seems to be in very good condition. The BHS model is more expensive, but no way near the (considered here ridiculous) asking prices in the US.

#52 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:24 PM

Wonder where is "over here" may be? Hmm. You give zero location, or any other personal info.

#53 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'll tell you, once my bid on a rare BHS, equipped for phase is accepted smile.gif

#54 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:44 AM

Got it!!! (and looking for a second job to pay for it, LOL...). Seller agreed on collecting it during the weekend.

BHS.JPG BHS2.JPG

#55 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

Here's a picture of the BH2/BHT I collected a few days ago. Sorry poor picture, I used my medieval (according to my daughter) cell phone.

I managed to remove the Dymo stickers on the frame: I put a cloth moistened with cleaning naphta on those and I packed the whole "sandwich" the best I could using a plastic bag and some scotch tape to prevent evaporation.
After a few hours the glue had softened enough to remove the stickers without harming the paint. The glue has caused some slight discoloration.

The stand, that should have a nice yellowish color, is currently more like a "dirty" yellowish grey. I suppose I will be bussy the next couple of days to try all kinds of soaps and solvents to clean it. I cleaned a small area using an abrasive cleaner ("CIF/JIF cream"). That worked well, but I'm not exactly a fan of such brutal methods...
I know of microscopists who completely stripped microscope frames by submerging them in hot sodium- or potassium hydroxide, and repainted them in crazy colors such as barbie rosa or fluorescent green/orange, but that isn't something I would consider.

• A thorough second inspection of the microscope showed a small (dead) insect on the back lens of one of the objectives
  • The frontlens of one objective could use a thorough cleaning. Objective barrels, as other steel parts, show some corrosion
  • I didn't manage yet to remove the bulb holder, probably due to a corrosion issue as well
  • The field aperture diaphragm dial is rather stiff. It works for now, but I'll have to dismantle and regrease it sometime in the future

All other controls work silky smooth.

All in all, the microscope is in very good condition, given it's age.

Contrary to what I told in my earlier posting, the microscope has 4, 10, 20, 40, 100 achromat objectives.

NGC704: Belgium.

20190706_123025.jpg 20190706_123126.jpg

Edited by Microscopy, 06 July 2019 - 06:10 AM.

#56 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Here's the BH2-BHS I collected today.

It has the six fold nosepiece with Dplan achromats 10,20,100, Splan40PL (phase), DplanApo UV40 (dry) and two WHK10/20 eyepieces in the BH2-TR30 trinocular eyepiece tube.

It's equipped with the BH2-PCD phase condenser with phase plates for 10, 20, 40 and 100 objectives.

The part between the frame and the trinocular eyepiece tube is (part of) a reflected light fluorescence unit. It has the cut-off UV filter in place, but I didn't examine it any further, so I dont know yet if the UV excitation filter(s) is /are present.

I know this kind of attachment can usualy be used with the 12V/100w halogen illuminator, but for optimal results an illuminator carrying a mercury "burner", emmitting large quantities of UV is used. Olympus had such a device for the BH2, carrying a bulb genre Osram HBO 50, but I suppose that will be next to impossible to find at an affortable price.

From a mechanical POV the microscope seems to be in very good condition.

Optically, there might be some problems with 2 objectives (tip: always take a phase telescope with you, when assessing a second hand microscope! With a phase telescope objectives can be examined lensgroup by lensgroup and lens by lens). The front lenses were so dirty that it was impossible to evaluate them.

I accepted the microscope "as is", so I didn't ask for a discount: I considered the risk of perhaps one or two bad objectives acceptable, given the very reasonable price the seller asked.

20190706_195726-2.jpg

• bumm likes this

#57 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Microscopy was saying

"The stand, that should have a nice yellowish color, is currently more like a "dirty" yellowish grey. I suppose I will be bussy the next couple of days to try all kinds of soaps and solvents to clean it."

You might consider Gojo hand cleaner...  My wife has quite a few old sewing machines, and they can be pretty grungy with old dried oil and lord knows what else.  Many were used in houses heated by fuel oil or coal too.  In a sewing newsgroup that had a section on sewing machine repair, someone mentioned Gojo.  I tried some, and it did wonders on a few really ugly machines.  I wouldn't use it on something like lacquered brass.  Of course, try in an inconspicuous area first, YMMV, etc, etc, etc.

Marty

#58 polaroidia

polaroidia

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

Here's my 1969(ish) Swift SRL Phase Contrast microscope. I bought this off Craigslist for $100. It's in amazing condition.

The Rotifer, Closterium and Euplotes pictures I posted here are from this microscope. The 16x eyepieces are new.

Micro1.jpg Micro2.jpg

Edited by polaroidia, 06 September 2019 - 08:38 PM.

• Mike E. and bumm like this

#59 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Mariner 2

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:34 PM

American Optics Spencer Series - 1962?

IMG_0272l.jpg
IMG_0271l.jpg

• bumm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics