•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Astro Devices Parallelogram Mount - NICE!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

I received the new mount from Valentin in Ukraine yesterday. The mount is extremely well made and a heck of a deal for $219 shipped. It suffered from a bit of customs abuse and one handle arrived with a small piece snapped off and one of the thumb bolts that hold the counterweight rod got bent. Valentin is sending the replacement parts and said that this was the first mount reported damaged in shipping. The mount is perfectly usable with the damaged parts.

There are ball bearing bushings and teflon bushings on the altitude and azimuth bearings and the rest of the joints use teflon, so there are no metal to metal joints. It comes with the swing hinge. It is shown here with the counterweight from my CG-5 mount which fits perfectly, and the Farpoint Far-Sight binocular mount which uses a convenient snap-in device mounted to the bino to join the two. I've ordered two more of the bino mounted snap-in devices from Farpoint so we can switch among binos in the blink of an eye. Also coming is an APM red dot finder to mount to the top of the bino mount to help my wife find things more easily.

Mounted is my APM 10x50 ED Apo bino and the tripod used is a Gitzo Carbon Fiber G1348 MkII that I normally use with my large format cameras.

It took about two weeks to receive the mount, but it was worth waiting for. Highly recommended! I'm looking forward to getting it out under the stars soon.

Some pics:

Parallelogram Mount Assembled-1.JPG

Here's the swing hinge with the ball bearing bushing visible

Parallelogram Mount Assembled-2.JPG

Here is a closeup of the tripod mount with the azimuth ball bearing bushing

Parallelogram Mount Assembled-3.JPG

There are separate handles for moving the parallelogram portion of the mount and for moving the binos. With a hand on both, it's extremely easy to position the bino where you want it.

Parallelogram Mount Assembled-5.JPG

• jrbarnett, Damo636, Paul Morow and 3 others like this

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Looks well thought through.   smile.gif

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

rockethead26... Tried searching for it... No luck. Could you post a link?

Also... does it not come with a counterweight? 

#4 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

looks nice.  How heavy a bino can it handle?

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

It took some gorilla fisted handling to damage one of those! I have one and they are extremely robust and stout, yet smooth. Mine holds Lunt MS 10x50's and is extremely lightly loaded. That 2nd handle for the mount is a new innovation and very nice. Wish mine had one but the other piece of the equation is that I've been using it for about a year and a half. I agree that those are a real bargain and hope the market finds them.

Edited by havasman, 04 November 2017 - 06:05 PM.

• jrbarnett likes this

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

rockethead26... Tried searching for it... No luck. Could you post a link?

Also... does it not come with a counterweight? 

Here's the link

You can get a counterweight, but Valentin says it's very expensive to ship. As I mentioned, the weights for the Celestron CG-5 fit perfectly and are available at a lot of vendors in the US and are cheaper.

Here's a review on Cloudy Nights.

• jrbarnett likes this

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

looks nice.  How heavy a bino can it handle?

The website says up to 15 lbs, but I'm thinking maybe around 10+ lbs realistically.

• jrbarnett likes this

#8 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

It took some gorilla fisted handling to damage one of those! I have one and they are extremely robust and stout, yet smooth. Mine holds Lunt MS 10x50's and is extremely lightly loaded. That 2nd handle for the mount is a new innovation and very nice. Wish mine had one but the other piece of the equation is that I've been using it for about a year and a half. I agree that those are a real bargain and hope the market finds them.

Yeah, at least the damage was minor. The second handle surprised me with its usefulness.

• havasman likes this

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

What a great mount.

Congrats.

Nice to see multiple options in the wake of UA's abandonment of the segment.

Best,

Jim

#10 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

I was originally going for a Farpoint mount, but the confusion over the swing hinge turned me away. Looks like both are solid mounts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics