•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milky Way

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:38 AM

I love RPI3! Can support all my devices, especially Pentax DSLR.

• timmbottoni and bsavoie like this

#27 gregj888

gregj888

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:19 AM

Tommy,  are you saving your images on the cameras SD card, the Pis or an you moving the images across the net to another system?

#28 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

Tommy,  are you saving your images on the cameras SD card, the Pis or an you moving the images across the net to another system?

No actually. I save all my images into a 64GB thumb drive that plug directly into my Pi or my 7 ports powered USB hub.

• gregj888 likes this

#29 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:19 AM

I also used Raspberry pi3 for auto guiding, Nikon DSLR remote control via USB and dithering.

• Tommy, timmbottoni and bsavoie like this

#30 Phattire72

Phattire72

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fishers, Indiana, USA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:51 AM

I love RPI3! Can support all my devices, especially Pentax DSLR.

Tommy, which Pentax camera are you using?  What are you using for camera control?  I have a K-70 and I would like a way to control it through a Raspberry Pi 3.

#31 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Tommy, which Pentax camera are you using?  What are you using for camera control?  I have a K-70 and I would like a way to control it through a Raspberry Pi 3.

Hi, I am using K5IIs and it always get control by Kstars EKOS in RPI3. Just remember to always get the latest version of libghoto2. It contains a lot of new and old pentax DSLR database. For your K-70 i believe it already get supported in the latest Kstars EKOS. 

https://indilib.org/...it-in-indi.html

Regards,

Tommy

• Phattire72 likes this

#32 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

Well this and the StellarMate threads got me interested enough to give it a try, so I'm getting a RPi3B+ with a case and power supply from "Santa Prime" and will then buy the StellarMate OS to install it on one of the many SD cards I have.

My hope is the following.  No longer have to use a laptop, which in the Winter outside is not fun and instead

• Autoguide my iOptron iEQ45 good enough for 3-4 minute using my QHY5L-II-M camera
  • Maybe control my Canon 60D instead of using a wireless Intervalometer (which works quite well) for taking a series of pictures
  • Use SkySafari Pro 6, or some other way to have it go to objects
  • Try some plate solving, because it sounds like all the cool kids are doing that now
  • Try out its Polar Alignment routine, but to be honest I get good enough alignment with just the polar scope and app
  • Control it all from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone (or newer when I get a new phone)

Wish me luck - I will report in after Christmas once I get it figured out.

I am sort of wondering if I really "need" to buy the StellarMate OS, because most of the software is essentially freeware, but then again its only $50 and they provide support by email in case I do something dumb, and it looks like it will be easier to set up instead of piecing it all together myself.

Any thoughts?

Timm

• bsavoie likes this

#33 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

Timm, I strongly recommend buying Stellmate OS and burning it to your sd card.  Then all you have to do is boot up the Pi.  You can go the free software route, but you'll need some linux skills...it's definitely a DIY project. 

Some other comments:

- Stellarmate comes with kstars.  That's the planetarium software.  You don't need skysafari, but I believe it is supported.

- I'm not sure about your DSLR...you might need the type of usb/serial cable that Shoestring Astronomy sells.  It's for older cameras that cannot be controlled via the USB cable that came with the camera.

- I have the android app, but haven't played with it much.  I'm not sure you can do 100% of the functions that the client supports.  It will certainly let you monitor and start/stop your session, but I haven't tested it enough to know if you can do everything with it.  I suspect not.  In my set up, my RPi is strapped to my mount and I run the kstars/ekos client on my Mac and connect to the Pi for controlling things.

Good luck!!

Edited by sbradley07, 05 December 2018 - 02:56 PM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#34 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

Timm, I strongly recommend buying Stellmate OS and burning it to your sd card.  Then all you have to do is boot up the Pi.  You can go the free software route, but you'll need some linux skills...it's definitely a DIY project. 

Some other comments:

- Stellarmate comes with kstars.  That's the planetarium software.  You don't need skysafari, but I believe it is supported.

- I'm not sure about your DSLR...you might need the type of usb/serial cable that Shoestring Astronomy sells.  It's for older cameras that cannot be controlled via the USB cable that came with the camera.

- I have the android app, but haven't played with it much.  I'm not sure you can do 100% of the functions that the client supports.  It will certainly let you monitor and start/stop your session, but I haven't tested it enough to know if you can do everything with it.  I suspect not.  In my set up, my RPi is strapped to my mount and I run the kstars/ekos client on my Mac and connect to the Pi for controlling things.

Good luck!!

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, it sounds like the Stellarmate OS is the way to go.  I will look at the KStars more, and start watching some of the YouTube videos they have posted.  I hope this all works well, it will be a fun option.

My DSLR uses a Canon style USB cable that came with it.  It's a weird end that goes into the camera, not the common USB mini, but I can control it from my PC, so it should work.

20 days until Santa brings the Pi, but tonight I hope to get outside and try some simple unguided images of Comet 46P/Wirtanen, and my iEQ45 can do a 1-2 minute unguided image most of the time with my WO ZS61

Timm

#35 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:03 PM

Yes, the Canon USB cable will let you control the camera from your laptop, but the real test is will it allow you to take more than a 30 second exposure?  If not, you'll need the special cable.

#36 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

Yes, the Canon USB cable will let you control the camera from your laptop, but the real test is will it allow you to take more than a 30 second exposure?  If not, you'll need the special cable.

Oh, interesting - well where do I find the "special cable", just in case I need to buy one?

Thanks!

Timm

#37 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:45 PM

Shoestring Astronomy

#38 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:17 PM

Shoestring Astronomy

Thanks!

I looked at their cables, and they don't sell one for the Canon 60D, I think its too new and already works with the included cable.  I seem to remember that at some point the USB cable and software allowed full functionality. I have a really old 20D that I see they sell a cable for.   But it just sits gathering dust.

#39 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, it's odd.  In the Canon section, they list Canon "D60" along with some other models.  That's not the model number format they usually use, so I assume it's a typo for 60D.  Looks like the 60D was introduced in 2010, making it an older model which I would think requires their cable.  Might want to contact them to find out.  Or if you have some camera control software already, it should be easy to test.

#40 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, it's odd.  In the Canon section, they list Canon "D60" along with some other models.  That's not the model number format they usually use, so I assume it's a typo for 60D.  Looks like the 60D was introduced in 2010, making it an older model which I would think requires their cable.  Might want to contact them to find out.  Or if you have some camera control software already, it should be easy to test.

Canon D60 was a really old one from 2002.

#41 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

Well there ya go...that's what get from a Nikon guy lol.  The fact that the 60D is not listed on the Shoestring site is a good indicator your cable will work.

#42 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

I see the StellarMate Gadget page also lists a Real Time Clock (DS3231) with battery.  I see a variety of those on Amazon, but I'm not sure if one is really needed or if so, which one.   Maybe someone here knows.

Thanks,

Timm

#43 gregj888

gregj888

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Timm,

If you need real time and don't have a web connection, then a RTC can be handy.  If that's the case, you may want to google "raspberry pi stratum  clock GPS".  For about the same price you can connect a GPS board and turn the Pi into a stratum one clock.

Totally unnecessary for everyday astronomy, but the name of the game for occultation timing and a few other high cadence bits.

• timmbottoni likes this

#44 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Timm,

I use a RTC like this  scroll to the bottom of the listing and it shows which gpio pins on the pi to install to. 

I also have this GPS dongle that works well with the pi. 

I recommend the Stellarmate OS too, it is well worth the $49. It is true all the software is available on the net but Jasem has tuned it to work well as a package, and, if you have questions he is there to help.

Edited by starman345, Yesterday, 08:44 PM.

• timmbottoni, bsavoie and sbradley07 like this

#45 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted Today, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the help Greg and Brian!!!

I will definitely buy the Stellarmate OS, and preload it to one of the memory cards I have. I have some fast 16GB and 32GB cards, even a 64GB one I think, but probably don't need that big of one. 

I'll wait on the clock and GPS unit.  I will be connecting it to my WiFi network, plus I will connect it to my iOptron iEQ45 mount which I see is supported with INDI.  It has a GPS built in it so I'm guessing it will sync up to it to get GPS coordinates and accurate time, maybe?.  Just a guess of course.  Looking forward to a new toy for Christmas  smile.gif

Timm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics