•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#51 Eddie_42

Eddie_42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:58 PM

Oh, interesting - well where do I find the "special cable", just in case I need to buy one?

Thanks!

Timm

I am a little late to the party.... but referencing this matrix https://ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx APT states that the 60D does not require a special cable for bulb exposure.

There is a nikon one here https://ideiki.com/astro/Nikon.aspx

Edited by Eddie_42, 01 January 2019 - 11:58 PM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#52 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

I am a little late to the party.... but referencing this matrix https://ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx APT states that the 60D does not require a special cable for bulb exposure.

There is a nikon one here https://ideiki.com/astro/Nikon.aspx

Correct.  In fact its just a standard USB to mini USB (Canon USB Cable) which came with it and I have about 5 more in my box of cables (that box everyone has in their basement that contains all the cables you won't throw away because you might need one someday).

So far everything works really well indoors controlling the Canon 60D, the iOptron iEQ45 and the QHYCCD-QHY 5L-IIM so hopefully if the forecast holds true, I will have some clear skies to try it on this week yet.

Bulb exposure and sequences of shots seems somewhat intuitive, but I have to admit there are so many options in the EKOS software (part of StellarMate OS) that its a bit crazy how many things you can adjust and set.  I'm used to the old cable intervelometer, that just has exposure time and count on it.   The new fancy wireless one I got, has a few more settings but this is a whole new ballgame.

I'm particularly interested in trying out the built in autoguiding tool (I use PHD2 now which is also loaded onto it and available as an option) and the ability to do plate solving which I have always thought would be too cumbersome to make it worth my while since I have a pretty easy routine for polar alignment and star alignment for my GoTos.

I will probably start up a new thread for StellarMate OS once I get more figured out and feel more ambitious.

Timm

• bsavoie likes this

#53 Eddie_42

Eddie_42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Correct.  In fact its just a standard USB to mini USB (Canon USB Cable) which came with it and I have about 5 more in my box of cables (that box everyone has in their basement that contains all the cables you won't throw away because you might need one someday).

Its nice that Canon is friendly like that. I have a Nikon (D5600), and its a 'special' micro USB cable. Looks just like a regular micro, but there is something special in it (wiring, voltage, dont know).   A regular cable is hit or miss on connections, it even loses PC connection mid file transfer without touching anything.  I purchased the Nikon branded UC-E20 cable from B&H photo, and it works like a charm.

• timmbottoni and bsavoie like this

#54 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:52 AM

Timm, have you looked at all the Stellarmate videos and the older (but still useful) Kstars/Ekos videos?  There's a bunch of them covering all the ekos "panes".  Also, I've tried the Stellarmate internal guider, but always went back to PHD2.  The internal guider is not well documented, and I think even Jasem says that PHD2 is better.

• timmbottoni likes this

#55 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Timm, have you looked at all the Stellarmate videos and the older (but still useful) Kstars/Ekos videos?  There's a bunch of them covering all the ekos "panes".  Also, I've tried the Stellarmate internal guider, but always went back to PHD2.  The internal guider is not well documented, and I think even Jasem says that PHD2 is better.

Hi Steve,

Thanks!  I have been watching the videos, yes. They are pretty useful, but some aren't up to date as the software has improved functionality and enhanced options on some of the screens in the current versions not shown in the videos.  I was able to try it outside last night for the first time but didn't get to try the autoguiding.  I was successful using the EKOZ and KStars to trigger GoTo and move my mount to objects very reliably but I wasn't able to really get the Plate Solving working correctly, so I have to figure out what is causing me problems.   It didn't help that I had forgotten to switch the hand controller on my iEQ45 back off of DST, which initially caused me some time wasted.   foreheadslap.gif

But the capturing of images using my Canon 60D worked perfectly, and sent the RAW files to the correct folder on my PC, etc.  Lots of really nice features in all the software!!!   KStars isn't super feature rich in some regards, and the KStars Lite for Anroid isn't all that useful since I already own SkySafari 6 Pro.  I wasn't able to get StarSafari to connect through to drive the telescope yet, in spite of doing what I thought was everything after following that video.

I hope to get plate solving to work and to try some autoguiding tonight and will start with the included tool just to see it, and it sounds like I will likely go back to PHD2 so maybe I can try both tonight.  It's nice that it is already loaded onto the Pi as part of StellarMate OS and the configuration tool easily lets you choose either.  

All in all - this is an incredible bargain and likely a real game changer for me as compared to sitting outside with a laptop, especially in cold weather like we have now.

Now I still have to find the time to really learn more of Pixinsight.  I have been dabbling with that for a while, and just got the 2nd edition of the Pixinsight book.  

This definitely isn't a hobby for "non-technical" people crazyeyes.gif

Timm

Edited by timmbottoni, 04 January 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#56 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I am looking forward to your posts on your Pi and Stellarmate adventure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  • timmbottoni likes this

#57 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I wasn't able to get the built in guider to calibrate last night - not sure if I have some settings wrong or not and tonight it looks like clouds are rolling in.

I was able to solve, slew, go to, etc with the mount, and the Canon 60D works well taking pictures.   All from the comfort of my desk while the temp dropped well below freezing last night.

I still have lots of questions like what is really the most efficient way to run StellarMate, and where is the most efficient place to store the images, but I will probably try PHD2 autoguiding next.

Fun stuff!

Timm

• bsavoie likes this

#58 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have been running indi based solution for a good time now and I feel RPI3 is underpowered to run the fully loaded indi  systems including Kstars. It gets laggy with VNC or remote desktops  to fiddle with controls.  It is better to run indi based system with little more system resources than raspberry pi has or  better SBC (NUC,Tinker Board, Stick Pc,Odroid, Rock64 etc)

I used to have occasional(some times regular) frames being dropped during guiding with raspberry  but reduced almost to zero by upgrading to Tinker Board . 

Best way to run stellarmate  or indi based solution is to have stellarmate control the systems (as server) excluding the planetarium app. Run kstars  locally on your PC or  laptop as client .  

Also if you do not want to fiddle with RTC,Indi has also GPS NMEA module which will allow you to set the date time and location using GPS on your phone . It will update kstars & system time as well.

Good luck! 

I must also add, Polemaster now works on Raspberry Pi as well.

• ccs_hello, timmbottoni, bsavoie and 2 others like this

#59 hcf

hcf

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

I have been running indi based solution for a good time now and I feel RPI3 is underpowered to run the fully loaded indi  systems including Kstars. It gets laggy with VNC or remote desktops  to fiddle with controls.  It is better to run indi based system with little more system resources than raspberry pi has or  better SBC (NUC,Tinker Board, Stick Pc,Odroid, Rock64 etc)

And if you are feeling brave, there are the arm64 based Android TV boxes which can run Armbian with 4GB RAM and USB3. No IAstroHub or Stellarmate on these but Kstars/Ekos/Indi/Astrometry.net run better than on my Pi. Commoditizing of the TV boxes are driving the prices of these down almost to Raspberry Pi levels.

https://www.cloudyni...-side-computer/

You do have to choose the right box though to make sure that Armbian runs well on it, and these definitely have not been tested out with different mounts/cameras as the Pi has been.

• tkottary likes this

#60 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

I used to have occasional(some times regular) frames being dropped during guiding with raspberry  but reduced almost to zero by upgrading to Tinker Board . 

Best way to run stellarmate  or indi based solution is to have stellarmate control the systems (as server) excluding the planetarium app. Run kstars  locally on your PC or  laptop as client .  

Also if you do not want to fiddle with RTC,Indi has also GPS NMEA module which will allow you to set the date time and location using GPS on your phone . It will update kstars & system time as well.

Good luck! 

Thanks - I actually just emailed StellarMate and asked what is their recommendation for most efficient way to run everything. Clouds here again and rain coming but maybe I will have a clear night again on Wed night.

I have been running KSar and Ekos on my desktop PC (Windows 10) but it is a bit slow with image capture. I also will be trying some other options for solving and guiding when I can.  It's all quite interesting to learn so far, and to be honest it doesn't really seem to lag for me so far. I have a pretty decent WiFi router, and it's not far to where I set up outside, so maybe that helps too.

I figured out how to get the time and date as well as location from the mount with the settings, so I let KStars get that on load up, which is nice, but I added the little $6 RTC already anyway and it keeps the time nicely.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Timm

#61 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

Good luck! 

I think if one plans to use kstars/ekos on something like a Raspberry PI and try to do all your imaging via VNC in a remote session, then I agree the Pi is woefully under-powered.  But that's not how it should ideally be used and the INDI platform's client/server architecture makes the Pi more than adequate.  As you noted, the best way to run it is by letting the client do all the heavy lifting.  If someone wants to only use one device and access via VNC, then a device more powerful than the Pi would be a must.

Thanks - I actually just emailed StellarMate and asked what is their recommendation for most efficient way to run everything. Clouds here again and rain coming but maybe I will have a clear night again on Wed night.

I have been running KSar and Ekos on my desktop PC (Windows 10) but it is a bit slow with image capture. I also will be trying some other options for solving and guiding when I can.  It's all quite interesting to learn so far, and to be honest it doesn't really seem to lag for me so far. I have a pretty decent WiFi router, and it's not far to where I set up outside, so maybe that helps too.

I figured out how to get the time and date as well as location from the mount with the settings, so I let KStars get that on load up, which is nice, but I added the little $6 RTC already anyway and it keeps the time nicely.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Timm

Not sure you'll get a detailed answer to your question to Stellarmate.  I've kind of learned it by reading/asking stuff here, on the the Indi forums, watching videos, and good old trial and error. 

I learned early on that the most annoying part of this set up is the file transfer "latency" when a module (solver, focuser, capture) needs to capture an image.  It really impacts things when you are doing an imaging run and saving all the images to the client.  That can introduce 30+ seconds of transfer time between subs.  My solution is to do all my pre-work (eg. plate-solving, focusing) as normal, but when I fire up an imaging run, I change the Upload parameter to "Local".  I have a USB thumb drive adapter that fits my 64gb microSD card and I plug that into the Pi.  The next morning, I pop it out and process the files on my Mac.

Now, just in the past two days, I added one more piece of equipment that is a game changer for my set up.  I was constantly struggling with reliable wifi, so I bought a pair of powerline ethernet adapters.  These things sound too good to be true, but they really work amazingly well.  The units plug into wall sockets; one of them near your main router and connected to it via ethernet, the second one is plugged into any other socket in your house where you want a fast connection.  The units basically turn your electrical wiring into an ethernet network.  I ran a heavy duty extension cord out to my scope, plugged in the second powerline adapter and connected it via ethernet to the Pi.  Freakin fast!  Now when I take a preview in Ekos, it loads on my Mac in 12-15 seconds (it used to be 30-40). 

• timmbottoni, bsavoie, tkottary and 1 other like this

#62 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

I missed this the first time I read your post.  Thanks for sharing!  I was not aware of this.  It sounds like you've tried it.  Will it work with Ubuntu Mate on Pi or is it just for Raspian?   I try to make only minimal changes to my Stellarmate OS image, but this would be a worthwhile addition and the would eliminate another device to do my polar alignments.

#63 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

I think if one plans to use kstars/ekos on something like a Raspberry PI and try to do all your imaging via VNC in a remote session, then I agree the Pi is woefully under-powered.  But that's not how it should ideally be used and the INDI platform's client/server architecture makes the Pi more than adequate.  As you noted, the best way to run it is by letting the client do all the heavy lifting.  If someone wants to only use one device and access via VNC, then a device more powerful than the Pi would be a must.

Not sure you'll get a detailed answer to your question to Stellarmate.  I've kind of learned it by reading/asking stuff here, on the the Indi forums, watching videos, and good old trial and error. 

I learned early on that the most annoying part of this set up is the file transfer "latency" when a module (solver, focuser, capture) needs to capture an image.  It really impacts things when you are doing an imaging run and saving all the images to the client.  That can introduce 30+ seconds of transfer time between subs.  My solution is to do all my pre-work (eg. plate-solving, focusing) as normal, but when I fire up an imaging run, I change the Upload parameter to "Local".  I have a USB thumb drive adapter that fits my 64gb microSD card and I plug that into the Pi.  The next morning, I pop it out and process the files on my Mac.

Now, just in the past two days, I added one more piece of equipment that is a game changer for my set up.  I was constantly struggling with reliable wifi, so I bought a pair of powerline ethernet adapters.  These things sound too good to be true, but they really work amazingly well.  The units plug into wall sockets; one of them near your main router and connected to it via ethernet, the second one is plugged into any other socket in your house where you want a fast connection.  The units basically turn your electrical wiring into an ethernet network.  I ran a heavy duty extension cord out to my scope, plugged in the second powerline adapter and connected it via ethernet to the Pi.  Freakin fast!  Now when I take a preview in Ekos, it loads on my Mac in 12-15 seconds (it used to be 30-40). 

Thanks!  

Jasem replied overnight with a pretty detailed reply and recommended the same approach as you, which is very encouraging.   He asked me to send my log files from failed autoguiding in, but I have to see if I can find them.  Either way, I think I will next try using PHD2, which he demonstrates in another video on YouTube.  

I am currently sending the files (just test lights so far) to my desktop computer, and may try your approach of storing them locally on a USB flash drive.  I have experience the same thing with a significant lag between images. Thanks for that suggestion.   Do you save as Native RAW or convert to FITS?  Just curious since both are easy to set.  I was also playing with storing them on the camera's card since that is yet another option.   Before this, all I ever did was capture directly to the DSLR, so sending them elsewhere is totally new to me.

I have a strong WiFi signal even to my back yard, but curious what sort of powerline adapter you bought.

I am also playing with the options for the solving to see what makes for the best efficiency.  Prior to this I had never even tried solving and this makes it incredibly easy to do.

This is all quite fun and fascinating and a great learning experience.

Timm

#64 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

It's not the only issue of the Pi that the CPU isn't powerful enough.  There's also the bottlenecks of (no) USB3 and the network.  I have several Pis, but for INDI I (currently) use an older ASRock Atom unit, and that although I do run EKOS on my laptop.  But the gain you get from USB3 (at least with a cam like the ASI1600) and a real Gbit ethernet speed for remote desktop sessions is priceless (IMHO).  And the sufficient CPU power allows to easily run PHD2 on there, too, with a fast camera connection and the option to run more demanding algorithms at high frame rate.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant above.  With my setup download of a full 16MP image of the camera to the client takes a second.  A complete plate solve (2s exposure, download to laptop, plate solve locally) takes around 5-6s.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Pi (and even more Stellarmate) is an easy and quite cheap way to test this type of setup.  On the longer run you definitely want something better(*).  

Ha, maybe I should consider this, too.  ATM I'm putting two cables out, power and ethernet ;)

(*)I also just ordered an ASUS PN40 as replacement for my ASRock.  Not because of too little power, but for size. That is indeed something where the Pi is really good.  But with 12x12x6cm the PN40 isn't that much larger....

#65 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

Thanks!  

Jasem replied overnight with a pretty detailed reply and recommended the same approach as you, which is very encouraging.   He asked me to send my log files from failed autoguiding in, but I have to see if I can find them.  Either way, I think I will next try using PHD2, which he demonstrates in another video on YouTube.  

I am currently sending the files (just test lights so far) to my desktop computer, and may try your approach of storing them locally on a USB flash drive.  I have experience the same thing with a significant lag between images. Thanks for that suggestion.   Do you save as Native RAW or convert to FITS?  Just curious since both are easy to set.  I was also playing with storing them on the camera's card since that is yet another option.   Before this, all I ever did was capture directly to the DSLR, so sending them elsewhere is totally new to me.

I have a strong WiFi signal even to my back yard, but curious what sort of powerline adapter you bought.

I am also playing with the options for the solving to see what makes for the best efficiency.  Prior to this I had never even tried solving and this makes it incredibly easy to do.

This is all quite fun and fascinating and a great learning experience.

Timm

Glad to hear Jasem got back to you.  He provides excellent support, but sometimes he takes a while to respond - - I assume that's because he's busy making Stellarmate better wink.gif

I've been saving in native RAW, but haven't been doing this long enough to know which is better.  The FITS files are more than double the size of my Nikon RAW files, so for that reason alone, I've been sticking to RAW.  I've never saved images to my camera...always to a computer.

The powerline adapter I got was TP-Link AV2000 (the one without the pass-thru power socket), around $70 on amazon.  The research I did said mileage will vary and that you cannot plug the units in to powerstrips.  One article said they wouldn't work plugged into extension cords, but mine is plugged in that way (it's a heavy duty one) and it works great.  There are cheaper and more expensive ones; I went for the highest speed at what I considered a reasonable price. 

• timmbottoni likes this

#66 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

It's not the only issue of the Pi that the CPU isn't powerful enough.  There's also the bottlenecks of (no) USB3 and the network.  I have several Pis, but for INDI I (currently) use an older ASRock Atom unit, and that although I do run EKOS on my laptop.  But the gain you get from USB3 (at least with a cam like the ASI1600) and a real Gbit ethernet speed for remote desktop sessions is priceless (IMHO).  And the sufficient CPU power allows to easily run PHD2 on there, too, with a fast camera connection and the option to run more demanding algorithms at high frame rate.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant above.  With my setup download of a full 16MP image of the camera to the client takes a second.  A complete plate solve (2s exposure, download to laptop, plate solve locally) takes around 5-6s.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Pi (and even more Stellarmate) is an easy and quite cheap way to test this type of setup.  On the longer run you definitely want something better(*).  

Ha, maybe I should consider this, too.  ATM I'm putting two cables out, power and ethernet wink.gif

(*)I also just ordered an ASUS PN40 as replacement for my ASRock.  Not because of too little power, but for size. That is indeed something where the Pi is really good.  But with 12x12x6cm the PN40 isn't that much larger....

Hi Der Pit, I've seen some of your posts on the INDI forums.  Thanks for sharing this.  While I haven't been using Stellarmate on Pi long enough to upgrade to better hardware, I have certainly considered and researched it.  I image with a DSLR and USB2 guidecam, so USB3 support is not that important to me at the moment.  But I do love to tinker so I'll probably play around with something sooner rather than later. 

As for the powerline adapters, if you've already run an ethernet cable, I'd stick with that.  You'd have to run a separate power cable out there since the adapters won't work plugged in to a powerstrip. 

#67 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Hi Steve,

oops, clearly my bad - silly me always forgets there are people using different equipment blush.gif  Yes, for a guide camera+DSLR a Pi really seems much more adequate indeed.

Thanks also for the warning re powerline ethernet.  I think a firend of mine has such a unit - I'll try to borrow it for a test 

Have Fun tinkering ;)

• timmbottoni likes this

#68 johnpane

johnpane

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wexford, PA, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

I just installed the StellarMate OS on a PI 3 B+. Every time it boots there is a notification about connecting to wireless that will not dismiss. It covers up the Software Update icon making it inaccessible. The process mate-notification-daemon is using 100% cpu of one core. The only way I can get the notification to dismiss is to kill that process. Each time the system reboots, the same issue happens. I did run software update but the issue persists.

I am attaching a screen shot.

Has anyone seen this? Recommendations for a permanent fix?

Thanks,

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 19.51.03.jpg

Edited by johnpane, 07 January 2019 - 07:56 PM.

• kbev likes this

#69 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

John, I have the Stellarmate OS loaded on a Pi 3 and one of the first things I did was to connect it to my home wifi.  I had that pop-up when I first booted the Pi and clicked on the dismiss button, I've done several restarts since and have not seen it come back.  Since it doesn't take too much time to perform maybe try clearing the SD card and re-flashing the OS to see if the error continues?  If that doesn't work I would post on the INDI forum and start a support ticket on the Stellarmate site. 

• timmbottoni and johnpane like this

#70 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

Hi Steve,

oops, clearly my bad - silly me always forgets there are people using different equipment blush.gif  Yes, for a guide camera+DSLR a Pi really seems much more adequate indeed.

Thanks also for the warning re powerline ethernet.  I think a firend of mine has such a unit - I'll try to borrow it for a test 

Have Fun tinkering wink.gif

This is the same point I am at - with an iEQ45, a DSLR, and QHY5L-IIM and I'm really hoping that the Pi running StellarMate will allow me to do some more imaging during the Winter. If it gets me that, then I am really happy.  I have the full laptop, PHD2, etc but honestly sitting outside in subfreezing temps, and risking damage to the old laptop is just not fun.  crazy.gif

Timm

#71 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

I just installed the StellarMate OS on a PI 3 B+. Every time it boots there is a notification about connecting to wireless that will not dismiss. It covers up the Software Update icon making it inaccessible. The process mate-notification-daemon is using 100% cpu of one core. The only way I can get the notification to dismiss is to kill that process. Each time the system reboots, the same issue happens. I did run software update but the issue persists.

Thanks,

John

It looks like you are using TeamViewer.  Is there a way to change the screen resolution?  Your screen looks much smaller than mine (I use VNC) and all my icons are on the left side of the screen.  Maybe switching to a higher resolution will get the Update icon to move over to the left.  Or try click/dragging your mouse in the upper right to see if you can select those icons and drag them out of the corner.  As for the network notification banner not dismissing, that one stumps me.  If you can get it so the notification doesn't block anything important, you could probably live with it.

• kbev and johnpane like this

#72 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

Hi Steve,

I do no have polemaster yet , but i have been reading positive review of polemaster on RPI3. It  looks like ubuntu mate on PI works well.

I missed this the first time I read your post.  Thanks for sharing!  I was not aware of this.  It sounds like you've tried it.  Will it work with Ubuntu Mate on Pi or is it just for Raspian?   I try to make only minimal changes to my Stellarmate OS image, but this would be a worthwhile addition and the would eliminate another device to do my polar alignments.

#73 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

Try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade . This should update your software.

Hi,

Thanks,

John

• kbev and johnpane like this

#74 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:41 AM

It looks like you are using TeamViewer.  Is there a way to change the screen resolution?  Your screen looks much smaller than mine (I use VNC) and all my icons are on the left side of the screen.  Maybe switching to a higher resolution will get the Update icon to move over to the left.  Or try click/dragging your mouse in the upper right to see if you can select those icons and drag them out of the corner.  As for the network notification banner not dismissing, that one stumps me.  If you can get it so the notification doesn't block anything important, you could probably live with it.

Steve, John's display looks the same as mine when I have it hooked up to my TV - I figure I could force a different display resolution but honestly I don't have a problem with it, and it's actually easier for my cruddy eyes to see.

Try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade . This should update your software.

This is what I used to do the update on my install based on info I found on the Stellarmate site.  Just copied the whole line, opened a terminal window and pasted it in, and away it went (well, after entering the password to allow the proper access permissions).

#75 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

I was trying to figure out how to change the screen size using VNC and I hadn't discovered it yet, but I'm hoping its there. 

I was playing around with all of the different capture options last night (indoors) and was able to get EKOS to capture in both CR2 (Canon RAW) and FITS to:

1. The internal Pictures folder set up on the Pi/Stellarmate desktop already there for me (fastest)
  2. The 8GB USB flash drive I inserted that mounted automatically plugged into the Pi (almost as fast as #1)
  3. The folder on the PC I was running KStars/EKOS on (slowest by 30 sec since it relies on WiFi to send a large RAW or even larger FITS file)
  4. BOTH the Pi and the PC at the same time (same slowness as #3)
  5. Also captured to the SD card of the Canon 60D but this is only an extra, you can't not capture to either the Pi or PC (or both) (has no observable difference on the speed that I could tell)

It was doing some strange things where it though the camera was being told not to transfer files at one point so I restarted everything.  Perhaps its a bug, or something I screwed up.

• I am hoping for a clear night because I want to try solving with the internal astrometry.net solver, to see if it speeds things up.  
  • I am hoping to try the INTERNAL guider and get it working first, and then move on to the PHD2 option. I see a 3rd option called lin_guider but I have no idea what it is yet, so maybe once I get these first two working and form an opinion about which works better for me, I will try the third (or maybe not bother)

All this testing is driving towards what I would call the optimal settings, so as I figure more out I will report back

Timm

• johnpane likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics