•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

You can test out plate solving with an existing image.  On the Solver tab, click on Load & Slew and pick a light frame you've shot recently.  I tested it with Ekos running the Simulator profile so it wouldn't slew my scope after solving. 

Lin_guider is another linux-based guiding application.  I've never used it. 

I stumbled across this guy's videos:  https://www.youtube....jurgenko/videos   Look for the ones labeled "Live Astrophotography".  He actually recorded a couple of full night imaging sessions using Ekos!  They are very long, so waaaay too much to look thru all of them, but I did find them fascinating to watch as he was setting things up and working thru the various functions of Ekos.  He seems to favor the internal guider, so you might be able to pick up some tips there. 

• timmbottoni likes this

#77 johnpane

johnpane

Explorer 1

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Thank you all for the responses to my query.

John, I have the Stellarmate OS loaded on a Pi 3 and one of the first things I did was to connect it to my home wifi.  I had that pop-up when I first booted the Pi and clicked on the dismiss button, I've done several restarts since and have not seen it come back.  Since it doesn't take too much time to perform maybe try clearing the SD card and re-flashing the OS to see if the error continues?  If that doesn't work I would post on the INDI forum and start a support ticket on the Stellarmate site. 

Thanks. I did re-flash and the alert came back again, non-responsive to clicking the "do not show this again" button. However, after I killed the process and rebooted it has not come back.

It looks like you are using TeamViewer.  Is there a way to change the screen resolution?  Your screen looks much smaller than mine (I use VNC) and all my icons are on the left side of the screen.  Maybe switching to a higher resolution will get the Update icon to move over to the left.  Or try click/dragging your mouse in the upper right to see if you can select those icons and drag them out of the corner.  As for the network notification banner not dismissing, that one stumps me.  If you can get it so the notification doesn't block anything important, you could probably live with it.

Actually, that connection was via VNC but TeamViewer had automatically started and put that icon into the menubar. I did not want TeamViewer to start on every boot but did not know how to turn it off. So I removed TeamViewer with this command:

sudo apt remove teamviewer-host

Try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade . This should update your software.

I had already done a software update prior to my post and that had not fixed the problem.

I was trying to figure out how to change the screen size using VNC and I hadn't discovered it yet, but I'm hoping its there. 

Apparently, this is the default display size if there is no display attached. I, too, would like to make this bigger but cannot figure out how.

#78 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

Apparently, this is the default display size if there is no display attached. I, too, would like to make this bigger but cannot figure out how.

I figured it out by going to the VNC website.

Changing the Raspberry Pi’s screen resolution

You may want to do this if:

Performance is impaired. A smaller screen resolution gives a more responsive experience.
Your Raspberry Pi is headless (that is, not plugged into a monitor) and the default initial screen resolution is too small.
To change the resolution, run the command sudo raspi-config, navigate to Advanced Options > Resolution, and choose an option.

Use the arrow keys to move up and down, and left/right and then when reboot it will open in VNC in the new resolution

The page is here... https://www.realvnc....pberry-pi-setup

• bsavoie and johnpane like this

#79 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

I also used Raspberry pi3 for auto guiding, Nikon DSLR remote control via USB and dithering.

I'm in the process of trying this now.   I've been a bit spoiled with Windows Exe installs and the like.   But I do use Linux at work, so it has been fun to use the same commands.

Is there an image or some direction to get this up-and-running?   I kinda feel I'm re-inventing the wheel.

The cool thing is... I'm reading and posting this on the Pi.   Oh and I just bought the Raspberry Pi 3b+ which seems to have issues with KStar, so that's out.

What I want to do is:

1. Control my Guide Scope

2. Control my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

3. Control my camera which at this time is a Nikon D3200. 

4. Remotely monitor 1 thru 3.

Yeah I know wrong camera for this work, but I plan on buying a used Canon T3i or T4i so I can remove the IR cut filter.

#80 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

Ok, I know I'm late to the party and I really should spend more time researching.   Seems I'm answering my own questions minutes after I post.

So I'm about to try the Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Raspberry Pi 3 B+.    This is supposed to fix the wireless issues.   Then I can install the Astroberry software created by Kaczorek.

https://indilib.org/...rver.html#16419

Looks very promising assuming I can get Ubuntu working.   I struggled for hours this morning when I found that 16.04 didn't support wireless.  doh!

#81 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

So I'm about to try the Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Raspberry Pi

Looks 18.04 might be a bit too bleeding edge. No boot, just the rainbow screen (with no thunderbolt).

#82 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

I'm in the process of trying this now.   I've been a bit spoiled with Windows Exe installs and the like.   But I do use Linux at work, so it has been fun to use the same commands.

Is there an image or some direction to get this up-and-running?   I kinda feel I'm re-inventing the wheel.

The cool thing is... I'm reading and posting this on the Pi.   Oh and I just bought the Raspberry Pi 3b+ which seems to have issues with KStar, so that's out.

What I want to do is:

1. Control my Guide Scope

2. Control my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

3. Control my camera which at this time is a Nikon D3200. 

4. Remotely monitor 1 thru 3.

Yeah I know wrong camera for this work, but I plan on buying a used Canon T3i or T4i so I can remove the IR cut filter.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B as my on-mount computing solution, primarily running PHD2 (compiled from source) to do the autoguiding.  I've got it set up with VNC and a small WiFi router so that I can connect in via my cell phone.

I have the Nikon D3200 and have been able to do some controlling of it from the Pi using gphoto2 in a short shell script.  Trigger the camera and download the resulting images (Raw and JPEG) to a folder with a time-stamp name.  Loop for like 50 times.  Works well enough, though I find it actually better to use an external intervalometer tied directly to the camera.  That way the images end up on the easily removable SD card, and the external device gets around the camera's limited support for USB.

The application 'Entangle' also works well, up to the limits of the camera's USB implementation.  The biggest limiter is the lack of Bulb support, so maximum exposure is 30 seconds.  But live viewing works, which can be useful.

Be sure your Pi has a good solid source of power.  I was trying to run mine from the Celestron PowerTank that also ran the telescope rotisserie, and any significant USB transfer (imaging or guide camera) would stall and time out.  I'm now using a separate USB power pack (the portable kind used for recharging your cell phone), and that works great.

• bsavoie likes this

#83 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:56 AM

Looks very promising assuming I can get Ubuntu working.   I struggled for hours this morning when I found that 16.04 didn't support wireless.  doh!

I'm not sure what your problem was with wifi, but I'm currently running Mate 16.04 on a 3b+ (Stellarmate OS image) and have not had any issues with wifi (currently connected to my home network for internet).  

Kstars should run fine, it may be seem a bit laggy compared to running on a new Windows/Mac machine but again I haven't had any problems with it. 

I was figuring some things out last night and got both my 1100D and ASI 290mm connected and tested.  I was planning on setting up my CG5 with my AT72 to test some other functions in Ekos (plate solving, aligning, etc) but the clouds decided they wanted to camp out overhead so maybe tomorrow night.  

#84 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Ok, went ahead and bought the Stellarmate OS for the Pi and it's working.   Just experimenting with it now.   The VNC is better than I though!

Viking, I wasn't using Stellermate before, just the Ubuntu OS 16.04.   I read where the wireless was not working for the 3B+ and it obviously wasn't for me.   Wired was fine.   So Stellar must have figure out what was wrong.

• timmbottoni and kbev like this

#85 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

Ok, went ahead and bought the Stellarmate OS for the Pi and it's working.   Just experimenting with it now.   The VNC is better than I though!

Viking, I wasn't using Stellermate before, just the Ubuntu OS 16.04.   I read where the wireless was not working for the 3B+ and it obviously wasn't for me.   Wired was fine.   So Stellar must have figure out what was wrong.

Wifi works for me - but the initial setup seems a bit flaky.  I followed the tutorial for it on the Stellarmate website, and it looked like my login to my Wifi network wasn't accepting my credentials, but then it actually was, and when it reset it didn't create its own Wifi hotspot anymore and has connected correctly ever since.

It took me a bit of goofing around though to get BlueTooth to pair correctly with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone.  I had to search for what to do, and entered a command I found in the command line through VNC, and then after I finally got it working I realized I didn't really have a need to use BlueTooth - lol.

Hope that helps

P.S.  See my note above about making a larger virtual screen size for the VNC window.  It's much nicer if you have a larger widescreen on your computer to view the VNC with.

Edited by timmbottoni, 29 January 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#86 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

I wasn't aware that the regular Ubuntu had problems with wifi.  I had installed Raspbian previously and had no problems, then when I was looking at setting up the Pi for AP I installed Ubuntu Mate and had working wifi.  I was going to go the slightly harder route of using the Astro Pi 3 script to install everything before I finally purchased the Stellarmate OS, glad I saved myself all the additional headaches.

Oh and the name's Kevin.  Viking 1 is just the rank the forum gives me based on my activity level and other stuff.

Edited by kbev, 29 January 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#87 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Sorry about that... The Viking thing was weird.

Maybe it's the 3b + (plus part)... The newest version.

I have it running though. The guide scope is not. Or maybe it is, I can't tell. I need to mess with it some more.

I haven't even tried my Nikon D3200. But scope and guider working would make it all worth it.

#88 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Don't feel bad, my eyes are drawn to the ranking and I was forever calling people by their ranking and missing their name. I am seriously thinking about the Stellermate, are most people buying the whole set up of purchasing their own Pi and installing the Stellermate OS?

• Megiddo likes this

#89 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

are most people buying the whole set up of purchasing their own Pi and installing the Stellermate OS?

I don't know for sure and I'm sure Stellar Mate would want to have you buy the whole thing (I would if I were them).   

Mine was $55 for the Pi. since I already have SD cards and HDMI cables, I figured to get in fairly cheap and play round.  https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07BC7BMHY

I figured I'd install all the open source astronomy software myself (KStars, PHD2 and the like)... but no luck getting the wireless working.

Then I got the Stellar Mate $49 software here:  https://stellarmate....larmate-os.html

Once installed, you have everything that the whole Stellar Mate except for the telescope cable.  I had one I was using on my laptop... think it's the same.

#90 sbradley07

sbradley07

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

Don't feel bad, my eyes are drawn to the ranking and I was forever calling people by their ranking and missing their name. I am seriously thinking about the Stellermate, are most people buying the whole set up of purchasing their own Pi and installing the Stellermate OS?

I'm not sure about most people, but I think a lot of people go the Stellarmate OS route because it's less expensive than the Stellarmate device.  And if you have any Linux familiarity or are even a little computer savvy, just getting the OS is cheap and easy.  Of course, you don't even need to buy Stellarmate OS.  Kstars/Ekos and INDi are all open source, so you can put it all together yourself for just the cost of the Pi and an sd card.  There are even pre-built images (eg. Astroberry) that bundle all the code for you.  indilib.org is the place to start.

• hcf likes this

#91 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

I'm not sure about most people, but I think a lot of people go the Stellarmate OS route because it's less expensive than the Stellarmate device.

That's what I did, the only item I'm considering now is a real-time clock module to add to my Pi so I don't have to work about the clock being out of sync. I had all of the cables needed to connect to the mount and cameras so that wasn't an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • timmbottoni likes this

#92 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

I know there are lots of ways to do it, but just a quick thought, when you have your Pi working the way you like (or on the way to it)... make sure to back it up.

I used the following to do a total image backup.   

https://pimylifeup.c...p-raspberry-pi/

• timmbottoni likes this

#93 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

That's what I did, the only item I'm considering now is a real-time clock module to add to my Pi so I don't have to work about the clock being out of sync. I had all of the cables needed to connect to the mount and cameras so that wasn't an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I posted up higher in this thread the clock link to buy from Amazon, but there is a link on the StellarMate site for the same item (which is where I got it from).  It just plugs onto the Pi and that's it.

For me, buying the StellarMate OS bundle was a great option because I wanted to buy a stock Pi, get the case I wanted (I opted for a bundle with a nice Aluminum case and power supply with an on-off from Amazon).  I have Micro SD cards just sitting around from other items that use them, and I have the HDMI cable, the iOptron RS232 cable, as well as other computer items like keyboard, mouse, monitor.  I wanted to at least learn some basics of a stock Raspberry Pi 3B+ for fun, and also saving money was nice.

One article I just spotted was that there are already plans to come out with a Raspberry Pi 4 (maybe in 2020) so learning all about the hardware builds a foundation for other things in the future as well.

I applaud StellarMate for offering it both as a complete gadget or as OS to download.   This is a very nice way to attract people on both ends of the spectrum.   

Now if Winter will just end early   4.gif

Timm

• Megiddo likes this

#94 hcf

hcf

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

I'm not sure about most people, but I think a lot of people go the Stellarmate OS route because it's less expensive than the Stellarmate device.  And if you have any Linux familiarity or are even a little computer savvy, just getting the OS is cheap and easy.  Of course, you don't even need to buy Stellarmate OS.  Kstars/Ekos and INDi are all open source, so you can put it all together yourself for just the cost of the Pi and an sd card.  There are even pre-built images (eg. Astroberry) that bundle all the code for you.  indilib.org is the place to start.

If you are at the point of installing the open source software all by yourself, and do not want to wait for a Pi 4, you can try a 4GB USB3 arm64 Android TV box instead of the Pi (dual boot it with Armbian).

https://www.cloudyni...-side-computer/

I have been moving from the Pi 3 to one of these. There are roughly the same cost as a Pi 3B+ if you include the case and the charger. But do check if Armbian works well on the box (link in above post) before you buy.

#95 wwastronut12

wwastronut12

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

While trying to setup a remote raspberry pi with a vnc connection I found the following reference for those using TheSkyX:

http://www.bisque.co...bservatory.aspx

It is helpful to see other perspectives in this thread including solutions to setup my own system over the winter.

• Megiddo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics