•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

• Loc: Deerwood, Mn

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Not to sure what the heck is going on. I reloaded Ubuntu-mate 18.0.4.2 last night and now it will not connect to my wifi. It sees it, but keeps saying the password is  no good. At least it sees the wifi connection which is a definite step in the right direction from the earlier version.

I didn't have the issue the first time around, so I thought maybe the wifi on my Pi has screwed up. I loaded up the latest Rasbian and it says it connects to the wifi, but the ip address it comes up with is a 169 address, so I know it is not really connected. My wifi gives out 192 ip addresses. 

The Pi I am trying to use is a Pi3 B. I have a Pi3 B+ in another project that I am not using at the moment, so I will pull that apart and see if that does the same thing.

Rod

#102 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Not that this addresses your direct issue, but have you taken a look at Astroberry server?  I think you'd be up and running a lot quicker...unless you like to tinker and I totally understand that ;-)

#103 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hi Steve, I will look into the Astroberry and see what it is like. I do see that it runs on Ubuntu-mate 16.04 and I wonder if it will have the same issue with the wifi being intermittent.

As far as the other problem, it is personal now, so I would liek to figure out what is going on!!

Rod

• sbradley07 likes this

#104 stash

stash

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

Ok, I know I'm late to the party and I really should spend more time researching.   Seems I'm answering my own questions minutes after I post.

So I'm about to try the Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Raspberry Pi 3 B+.    This is supposed to fix the wireless issues.   Then I can install the Astroberry software created by Kaczorek.

https://indilib.org/...rver.html#16419

Looks very promising assuming I can get Ubuntu working.   I struggled for hours this morning when I found that 16.04 didn't support wireless.  doh!

Sorry you are having problems but:

1. ubuntu 16.04 mate supports wifi on a rpi 3 and 3b+ both in 5ghz and 2.4ghz range - i have been using it for 2.5yrs  with only the normal problems of WiFi  e.g. Range and interference - the latter is minimised using 5ghz but you do loose distance/coverage depend on your other wifi kit. 

2. Ubuntu 18.04 mate wifi works using 2.4ghz no problem but 5ghz is not sorted yet - this is a ubuntu problem not indi/kstars. BUT note the 18.04 release is BETA so will have problem and it would be better IMHO to wait until the Stable release appears. 

3. Astroberry uses Ubuntu 16.04 Mate which is  inline with normal Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Indi/Kstars does not have problems with Wifi. Note this version presents different modes of working including acting as a AP server for when "out in the field".

I agree that Linux /Indi/Kstars is a steep learning curve but most new ways of doing things are - even moving from Windows version to the next is far from simple.

• Megiddo likes this

#105 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:49 AM

I understand that the 16.04 supports the wireless, the issue I have is that it will not connect using the correct wifi password. I had a work around that worked well for a couple of days and then right back to the same thing.

I then put things on the back burner for awhile and then tried the 18.04. I loaded it up and it connected to my wifi right away and I had no real issue. Then all of a sudden, without any changes it will not connect to the wifi. It sees the connection, just will not accept the password for it.

I have loaded up Astroberry, and can connect to it directly with my laptop, but if I try and get Astroberry to connect to my home wifi, I run into the same issue where it keeps asking for my password, and will not connect.

I have a Pi3 B+ that I am going to try to make sure that my Pi3 B is not the issue.

Rod

#106 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, based on your results so far, I was starting to think hardware issue, so testing on another Pi is a good path.  BTW - what was your work-around on the password thing?

#107 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hi Steve, I found this on a web page about the issue. This is what I added:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I put the details to the /ect/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

country=US

network={
    ssid="MyWifiNetwork"
    psk="myP4ssw0rd"
}

This is the web page I got it from:

https://raspberrypi....untu-mate-16-04

#108 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Sorry you are having problems but:

1. ubuntu 16.04 mate supports wifi on a rpi 3 and 3b+ both in 5ghz and 2.4ghz range - i have been using it for 2.5yrs  with only the normal problems of WiFi  e.g. Range and interference - the latter is minimised using 5ghz but you do loose distance/coverage depend on your other wifi kit. 

2. Ubuntu 18.04 mate wifi works using 2.4ghz no problem but 5ghz is not sorted yet - this is a ubuntu problem not indi/kstars. BUT note the 18.04 release is BETA so will have problem and it would be better IMHO to wait until the Stable release appears. 

3. Astroberry uses Ubuntu 16.04 Mate which is  inline with normal Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Indi/Kstars does not have problems with Wifi. Note this version presents different modes of working including acting as a AP server for when "out in the field".

I agree that Linux /Indi/Kstars is a steep learning curve but most new ways of doing things are - even moving from Windows version to the next is far from simple.

I went and bought the Stellarmate image and got it up and running in a couple of minutes.   And let me tell you, that thing is packed with goodies!

https://stellarmate....larmate-os.html

• timmbottoni likes this

#109 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

I went and bought the Stellarmate image and got it up and running in a couple of minutes.   And let me tell you, that thing is packed with goodies!

https://stellarmate....larmate-os.html

I would like to, but I am on a low budget for now..

Rod

#110 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:03 AM

I would like to, but I am on a low budget for now..

Rod

I think if you have a RPi you need only pay for the download.

#111 tmyers

tmyers

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

I wonder when Stellarmate will update to the new Pi 4b? Faster and with 2 - 3.0 usb ports

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#112 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

I wonder when Stellarmate will update to the new Pi 4b? Faster and with 2 - 3.0 usb ports

I ordered mine... but it won't be shipped until August 15th.    I'm hoping the folks at SM will have it running by then.   (I'm sure they will)  

I turned KStars colors on last night and of course everything went to a grinding halt.  (turned it back off)

4gigs of memory should make that run nicely... I can't wait!

• bsavoie likes this

#113 tmyers

tmyers

Mariner 2

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

Wonder it it will plug and play with sd card?

#114 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

Wonder it it will plug and play with sd card?

As long as the boot image is good it will boot up and start right away

#115 tmyers

tmyers

Mariner 2

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

Is anyone using Stellarmate on an alt-az mount? I have yet to invest in a GEM mount.

#116 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

Is anyone using Stellarmate on an alt-az mount? I have yet to invest in a GEM mount.

Not sure it makes any sense for an alt-az mount as its a tool designed for astrophotography, which an alt-az mount is not going to be suitable for.   I can't think of how it would add anything that would justify its cost for you.

#117 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

A number of Alt-Az mounts are supported by INDI (device protocol used by Stellarmate) https://indilib.org/...es/mounts.html 

It's easy to test if it works - if you have a Mac or Linux and can direct connect to your mount, just install Kstars test the mount connection.  

#118 spacetourist

spacetourist

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bali, Indonesia

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

I have found 2 free alternatives to stellarmate and asiair, gonna test them both.

http://www.indigo-as...indigo-sky.html

https://github.com/r...troberry-server

• ccs_hello likes this

#119 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

Astroberry is pretty much the same thing as stellarmate OS....just another person's pre-built image of Ubuntu, indi, kstars, and ekos.  The main difference is that the folks who make stellarmate are also kstars/ekos developers.  I tried Astroberry server and it was excellent.  You do need to be comfortable with Linux though, as it requires more tinkering than the SM image.

#120 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

Here is a 10 minute stress test of my Pi4 in a FLIRC case running the Stellar Mate beta OS. Never rising above 56c, this is better than my 'active' cooling case with a fan.

VjOGBE4.png

• sbradley07 likes this

#121 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

Here is a 10 minute stress test of my Pi4 in a FLIRC case running the Stellar Mate beta OS. Never rising above 56c, this is better than my 'active' cooling case with a fan.

Just curious, what does a Pi4 draw by way of power under these conditions?  I am using a Pi3B at my scope, powered from a 20,000mah cell phone / tablet travel battery.  The mah is plenty for quite a few sessions, but it's only spec'd to provide 2.5 amps at 5v.

My software is PHD2 and CCDciel, which an occasional plate solve via ASTAP.  The guiding camera is the only significant external draw right now, but I'll be swapping out the DSLR for a "real" Astro camera at some point, which will demand more power. 

#122 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

Just curious, what does a Pi4 draw by way of power under these conditions?  I am using a Pi3B at my scope, powered from a 20,000mah cell phone / tablet travel battery.  The mah is plenty for quite a few sessions, but it's only spec'd to provide 2.5 amps at 5v.

My software is PHD2 and CCDciel, which an occasional plate solve via ASTAP.  The guiding camera is the only significant external draw right now, but I'll be swapping out the DSLR for a "real" Astro camera at some point, which will demand more power. 

Unfortunately, the Pi 4's power requirements are higher (3.0A), so those power bricks won't be sufficient; 2.5A is their max.  I have a couple that I run my Pi 3B on and it makes it a nice neat package for field use.  Will have to find a new solution for the Pi 4.  

#123 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Unfortunately, the Pi 4's power requirements are higher (3.0A), so those power bricks won't be sufficient; 2.5A is their max.  I have a couple that I run my Pi 3B on and it makes it a nice neat package for field use.  Will have to find a new solution for the Pi 4.  

Thought so.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

Sounds like time for a 12v -> 5v power inverter project, unless someone already makes one...  3 amps isn't that unreasonable, so this should be doable.  I haven't as yet looked.

#124 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thought so.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

Sounds like time for a 12v -> 5v power inverter project, unless someone already makes one...  3 amps isn't that unreasonable, so this should be doable.  I haven't as yet looked.

I was thinking the same thing.  I made a 12V -> 9V step-down converter for my DSLR, should be easy to make one for the Pi 4.  Won't be as elegant or as convenient as a simple 5v battery pack though :-( 

#125 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

I wonder if something like these would work?  Big question on if it's compatible with the Pi4's USB-C power adapter issue. 

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B01GUVNHY8

or

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07G2JV3W8

or a number of similar products...    Some of the 120v wall warts advertise 3.5 amps, so I wonder if 3 amps will be sufficient.  We are driving external devices (cameras) through the Pi's USB ports, after all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics