•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#126 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:30 PM

I went back to look at the power specs for the Pi 4 and, while it states 3A minimum, there's an asterisk that makes this reference "* A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total."  My equipment uses more than half an amp, but I connect them all thru a USB hub, so perhaps a 2.5A power source would work.  If not, this combination might do the trick:

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

https://tinyurl.com/y3b87ucu

• TelescopeGreg likes this

#127 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

Ha!  Bingo on the powered USB hub.  Anker has a 7 port one that's powered by 12v.  Run that direct from the PowerTank, run the Pi4 from the travel battery.

Sounds like a solution to me.  Thanks!

#128 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

I use this buck converter and a tiny right angle usb a to c cable. Works great.

12v to 5v 5A Converter, DROK Buck Voltage Regulator DC 9V-36V Step Down to DC 5V-5.3V 3.5-6A Volt Transformer Module with USB Port https://www.amazon.c...i_NZxyDb507NT4F

#129 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

• Loc: Pearl River, LA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

Ha!  Bingo on the powered USB hub.  Anker has a 7 port one that's powered by 12v.  Run that direct from the PowerTank, run the Pi4 from the travel battery.

Sounds like a solution to me.  Thanks!

The 7p Anker is one that StellarMate has on their "bad" list. https://www.stellarm...w=kb&kbartid=12

I'm not sure why since others on INDI forum say they've been successful with it.  I decided to go with another https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07RM16NN9/  It arrives tomorrow with the RPi4  (4GB in stock at Amazon!)

#130 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

The 7p Anker is one that StellarMate has on their "bad" list. https://www.stellarm...w=kb&kbartid=12

I'm not sure why since others on INDI forum say they've been successful with it.  I decided to go with another https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07RM16NN9/  It arrives tomorrow with the RPi4  (4GB in stock at Amazon!)

Oh, wow.  Thanks for posting!  The Akner one is in my "saved for later" shopping cart.

The only problem with the Dlink they recommend is that it's powered by a 5v AC adapter, which I have no place to plug in.  Yours looks like it might work direct from the 12v battery, and I like the idea of being able to separately switch on/off the ports individually.  Please let us know how well it works!

#131 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'll let you know what I find. My plan is to run it from battery, that's the hope anyway. 

This is the "case" I bought for it: https://www.amazon.c...t/B07VMD25SK/  

I'm hoping to find/design a couple of clips that will use the screw holes with longer screws and mount to the pier.  

#132 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

I'll let you know what I find. My plan is to run it from battery, that's the hope anyway. 

This is the "case" I bought for it: https://www.amazon.c...t/B07VMD25SK/  

I'm hoping to find/design a couple of clips that will use the screw holes with longer screws and mount to the pier.  

I'd like to see how you mount it.  I have a metal pier -- wondering if I can mount mine so the pier acts as a heat sink! wink.gif  

#133 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

I'd like to see how you mount it. 

Me too... But hey I won't need it... check out the thermometers in the picture on Amazon of the heatsink/case I bought.  It will chill it from 90F to below freezing! Eyecrazy.gif  That's some heatsink!

• sbradley07 likes this

#134 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

So this weekend I started playing around with the RPi4. I put it in it's case/heatsink. And I hooked it up to the USB hub which worked fine. I only plugged a couple things into it, but the Pi saw them without a problem. And I ran off of a single 12v connection. I got a 1 foot USB-C cable that I ran from the 2.4A "charger" port to power the Pi and a short USB3 A to B cable to go from one of the USB3 ports on the Pi back to the Hub for data. This yields 5x USB3 ports and 2x USB2 power available. That's more than enough for me for now. I ran it for hours just playing around, and it did fine.  It was running off of the hub's AC to 12v DC adapter but I don't see what it couldn't run off a good 12v battery pack.  I just wanted to check things out before making the cable.

#135 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

So this weekend I started playing around with the RPi4. I put it in it's case/heatsink. And I hooked it up to the USB hub which worked fine. I only plugged a couple things into it, but the Pi saw them without a problem. And I ran off of a single 12v connection. I got a 1 foot USB-C cable that I ran from the 2.4A "charger" port to power the Pi and a short USB3 A to B cable to go from one of the USB3 ports on the Pi back to the Hub for data. This yields 5x USB3 ports and 2x USB2 power available. That's more than enough for me for now. I ran it for hours just playing around, and it did fine.  It was running off of the hub's AC to 12v DC adapter but I don't see what it couldn't run off a good 12v battery pack.  I just wanted to check things out before making the cable.

Ooh, good news.  So, you were powering the hub from the AC 12v adapter, and the Pi4 from the hub?  That sounds perfect if the hub will run from a 12v battery.  Hopefully the other accessories (imaging and guiding cameras) can run from the hub too, as normal USB devices, keeping any additional load off the Pi.

Thanks for the update!

#136 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:50 AM

Ooh, good news.  So, you were powering the hub from the AC 12v adapter, and the Pi4 from the hub?  That sounds perfect if the hub will run from a 12v battery.  Hopefully the other accessories (imaging and guiding cameras) can run from the hub too, as normal USB devices, keeping any additional load off the Pi.

Thanks for the update!

That's correct   AC adapter -> Hub -> Hub charge port -> RPi  power input

Then RPi USB3 port ->  Hub USB Input port (Type B) 

Hub also had GPS dongle and cable to mount coming from it.

I'm going to try to run it from a battery this weekend. I'm going to try to get a panel meter in for it as well to have a real idea of the power it's all pulling.

#137 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

That's correct   AC adapter -> Hub -> Hub charge port -> RPi  power input

Then RPi USB3 port ->  Hub USB Input port (Type B) 

Hub also had GPS dongle and cable to mount coming from it.

I'm going to try to run it from a battery this weekend. I'm going to try to get a panel meter in for it as well to have a real idea of the power it's all pulling.

Any luck running the hub from 12v battery power?

#138 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

Sorry, I've been meaning to follow up...

Yes, I used a 12v gel battery I had around the shop. I powered the hub from that and the RPi from the hub, and ran USB data back to the hub, and had the mount, Polemaster and older NexImage5 camera. The RPi saw everything...  Now if I could get a clear night to play.

Edit --

BTW the mount was also being powered by the battery. I had had mixed feeling about it though. It worked I just don't know if I want to.  It's 32Ah (from a scooter iirc), but I wonder about V drop during slewing.

Edited by TomTTuttle, 17 September 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#139 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Sorry, I've been meaning to follow up...

Yes, I used a 12v gel battery I had around the shop. I powered the hub from that and the RPi from the hub, and ran USB data back to the hub, and had the mount, Polemaster and older NexImage5 camera. The RPi saw everything...  Now if I could get a clear night to play.

Edit --

BTW the mount was also being powered by the battery. I had had mixed feeling about it though. It worked I just don't know if I want to.  It's 32Ah (from a scooter iirc), but I wonder about V drop during slewing.

Yay!  Thanks for the update.  Order placed.

My plan is to use the 7ah Celestron PowerTank to power both the mount and Pi, with a secondary pack (3 used SLA batteries salvaged from my UPS) saddled up to it if I'm going to be imaging for more than an hour or two.  So, something around 20ah total, given the cells aren't new.  I've also got a 55ah AGM battery if needed, but it's heavy enough that I'm hoping I won't need it :)

Having a powered hub also removes the camera power load from the Pi, which should help with it flashing the little lightning bolt up in the corner.

#140 Karthik

Karthik

Explorer 1

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

How is Celestron's CPWI different from StellaeMate and Astroberry?

#141 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:31 PM

How is Celestron's CPWI different from StellaeMate and Astroberry?

They're not really in the same ball park.  CPWI lets you control Celestron mounts from a Windows PC for pointing at targets.  Stellarmate, Astroberry (both based on Kstars/Ekos), along with ZWO's ASIAir are full imaging suites for astrophotography and allow you to control cameras (image capture, guiding, alignment), mounts, focusers, domes, etc. 

#142 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

Get stellarmate for Raspberry Pi 4 and then obviously get a raspberry pi 4  with 4gb option and a fast 64gb sd card.   Works really well.

#143 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

I've been running the StellarMate on RPi4, and it's awesome. Runs great. Plate solves within seconds. The Pi3 took a few minutes. Really happy with the setup.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics