•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barska vs. Oberwerk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:02 AM

Last night I was able to perform a cursory comparison between my brand new, but cheap, 15X70mm Barskas and my 1-1/2 year old Oberwerk 15X70's. Superficially they are very similar with the Oberwerks displaying a nice green coloured lens coating, the Barskas had a light metalic blue.

Looking at star fields with the aid of a tripod they seem to show about the same. I didn't try to count stars in a cluster or check for stars with averted vision (this was to be a quick, in the light polluted back yard, gross differences kinda test). Jupiter looked good with several moons showing (May 5th about 9PM MST).

The moon was a different story. The Barskas showed two strong ghost images, at 10:00 and 4:00. If I moved off target about six more much smaller ghost images appeared (the first ones were full size). I had the impression I was looking thru a vaseline covered lens.

The moon its' self looked pretty good, a little colour, in focus but with mushy details. The limb was in focus but the lit area was hard to see details in. It was not quite a half moon.

The Oberwerks took the moon with out any ghosting. At times I could make out one very faint ghost around 9:00 or 10:00 and it was not there all the time. The limb was in focus, slight colour and surface details where very easy to make out. Checking out the Barskas this morning in the smogging early morning light from the 18th floor of city hall did not show any defects. These will be daylight bino's.

When I received the Barskas they were way out of collimation with a cats eye light cone on the right tube. With the help of a couple collimantion articles from this site I was able to recollimate them but I can't help but think the ghosting may yet be an artifact of mis-collimation instead of just a coatings issue. Although it's my opinion the difference in coatings is the main reason for the superior image in the Oberwerks.

I don't feel so bad paying twice as much for the Oberwerks as the Barskas now.

Ron

#2 neven

neven

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:30 AM

O-oh
should I cancel Barska 15x70 now? :rainbow: :foreheadslap:

#3 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Ron,

I've seen a number of Barskas on Astromart but they were so cheap in price I was afraid of them. I have the 11X70mm and 8X56mm Oberwerks and like them very much. Orion's belt area is awesome in the 11X70s. The Hyades Cluster is very nice in the 8X56s.

Thanks again for taking the time to compare the binocs.

Happy New Year!

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 December 2003 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

This is my first question on the website. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Pentax 20+60's PCF WP over the Oberwerk 20+80's, either lightweight or standard models?

Thank You,
Ray A. ( P.S.- How do I change my Title from Stranger to another?)

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 December 2003 - 01:28 PM

I would recommend the Barska's personally, for the 15x70's. I've never used the Oberwerk's, but the 15x70 Barska's I have are the best I've found for the price. Similarly, the Oberwerk 22x100's are the best I've ever used for their size and price as well. I haven't seen any ghosting when I look at the moon through my Barska's. One thing I did find a little annoying last night when looking through my Barska 15x70's was that it seemed that the focus would drift slightly. I don't know if it was because they were vertical (I was looking near zenith) or if that's normal with these and other bino's. The focus wheel seems nice and tight, but still pretty easy to move. It was minimal, but enough to give slightly fuzzy results occasionally.

Binoculars are ALWAYS heavily subjective from user to user, and will vary from user to user. I did find a thin green outline when looking at the moon, but moving my head slightly in one direction made it go away. I've found that you have to learn HOW to look through binoculars in order to get the best view. Whether it be distance from the eyepiece, looking slightly off-center, etc. It varies from each pair of binoculars. For example, the Oberwerk's 22x100. The views through these are amazing, but there is a significant difference in looking through these and say for example a pair of 10x42's. There is alot more kidney beaning in the 22's, and you have to look through them just right in order to get the optimum view.

For the price, I don't think anything beats the Barska's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics