Hope someone can help me deicde on a 1st scope. Never used telescope in my life - and wife has been asking me for a while, and alaways put it off. Always been interested, but never gotten around to buing a telescope. I figured this is the year to do it - finally. Now, recently have been doing some research, read through some of the beginner guides here - and overwhelmed with number of options - refractor, reflective, dobsonian etc etc.
Was hoping to get some advice on narrowing down my search to few recommended telescopes.
- Want spend around $300 on the telescope (plus perhaps bit more on accessiories). Just don't want something too expensive/complicated that might sit around unused. Ideally one package that has everything i need to start with - and then i can buy accessories later on as needed.
- Want something not too large - i read biggest bang for the bucks are the dobsonian - but they look for the most part fairly large & heavy. Want something that can be neatly packed up and stored in garage if necessary. Plus something easy to carry on mid size SUV like Murano.
- I live in bayonne, New Jersey - it is a reasonably busy city - not sure if that impacts choice of scope or not.
- Need to have a some type of star finder/goto computerized feature - so i at least get to look at objects quickly without getting too frustrated.
- Something that doesn't require too much of assembly/setup every time i use it.
- Was reading through another forum and bumped into this deal for NexStar 90GT Refctaor+ at BH Photo for $160 - it has the goto feature. Some people recommending it as good for starting out - any thoughts? Or basically give me some other suggestions.