•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon T3i w/tec unit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 team forsyth

team forsyth

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jeffersonton Va.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi all. Playing around last week during the rainy weather. I bought a 12v Tec cooler a while back. I of course tore the tec unit out and was trying to fig out how to use it on my T3i. The heat sink portion fits well where the screen fold out. Not to be a permanent install but I used a bunji to secure to camera and allowed to cool for a half a hour. At this point, I do not have any temp regulator on it. I did take 10 dark frames before I turned the cooler on and 10 after the half hour. It definitely had less noise than the non cooled one but had a white like flair in the upper left in each of the cooled frames. You don't see it until you stretch it up a bit.

Any ideas what and why?

#2 jmorales21

jmorales21

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like amp glow to me. Could you post some samples here?

For some read -> http://darkerview.co...ems/ampglow.php

Not a desirable outcome, but can be greatly mitigated by doing dark frame substractions as part of your workflow.

Cheers!

#3 team forsyth

team forsyth

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

It was not quite that bad but it was only on the cooled images.. I will post sample later.

#4 rekokich

rekokich

Messenger

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Amp glow, usually purplish, will show on Canon cameras if long exposures are started while live-view was on.

Try the same experiment making sure live-view is off, and making sure there are no light leaks.

Let us know.

I am considering a Peltier cooler for my full spectrum modified T3i, but I am concerned that a cold sensor will promptly condense moisture in hot / humid weather.

#5 team forsyth

team forsyth

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

Err, how do you upload an image...

#6 Starman27

Starman27

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

When posting you have the the opportunity to click on the "More Reply Options" You will see  aaan "Attach Filess" work space. Just follow the instructions. Browse your files, select the one you want click "Attach This File" and stay within the size limitations. IF your images are stored in an on-line site you can just post the url.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics