•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Altair Sabre mount - How to disassemble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

I have a used Altair Sabre mount, where the AZ bearing needs to be greased. The ALT bearing is pretty easy to disassemble, but I have no glue how to do it for the AZ bearing. There is no screw or something like that visible.

Does somebody has some hints how to do that? How do I know, which version (V1 or V2) I have?

I already contacted Altair directly, but didn't got any answer yet.

Many thanks,

Robert

Edited by Robert Zebahl, 14 November 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Did you look under the mount (bottom of Az axis) for a set screw?

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 14 November 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#3 beggarly

beggarly

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

I have been wondering about how to disassemble a GIRO-II-DX for years and still haven't found out.

It can be done: if you Google for "giro 2 dx alt-az mount disassembly" there will be 2 pictures of disassembled mount.

http://www.tech2000a...hnical/loading/ and one that refers to an archived CN topic : https://www.cloudyni...s/tmb152x11.jpg.

Maybe there is a screw under the altitude bar.

Edited by beggarly, 14 November 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:04 AM

At the buttom of the AZ axis there is just a hole with a M10 thread and an even smaller hole behind, but there is no screw visible. The friction screw is pressing on a piece of plastic. I also looked at the top of the mount, when disassembled the ALT axis, but there is also no screw. Very strange.

Maybe the second picture of the disassembled mount can be a hint. Looks like that the friction screw is holding the stuff together.

Edited by Robert Zebahl, 15 November 2017 - 01:06 AM.

#5 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:42 AM

Many thanks. I got it disassembled. Just turn out the friction screw of the AZ axis a bit and then pull out the AZ bearing. It might be a bit hard at the beginning, because the parts fit really well together. The little whole behind the M10 thread is simply for air exchange.

After greasing it works much smoother smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC_3222.JPG

• jeremiah2229 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics