•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My 1st Astrophoto - M42

astrophotography beginner Celestron dslr
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 m033dkhan

m033dkhan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hello Peeps..wavey.gif

So...after many attempts to get a nice AP(imaging and process included), I think i got one that, i think shows a little progress thewave.gif . I'm still trying to figure out the stacking process in DSS, somehow its not detecting many stars (5-10) in a single pic. From the forums it seems that bloated stars are not detected in DSS. Another thing i wanted to say is about 'focusing' or 'prime-focusing', dude that thing is hardsweaty.gif. Anyways i know i have a looong way to go, I'm super excited for that waytogo.gif  . 

So, this is the M42 ( The Orion Nebula). Its a single sub 30 sec @ISO 1600. I know its not at par with most of you guys, but still... baby steps ubetcha.gif

M42 Orion Neb

Peace! and Clear Skies!

• mikewayne3, sink45ny, Merk and 9 others like this

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

What kind of scope are you using?  When I look at the image, the stars look roundish on the right side, and pretty distorted on the left.  Is this image uncropped?  Depending on the scope type, there will be different approaches to fix your stars.

Edited by mistateo, 14 November 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Cosmos

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Nice start. 

Assuming you're using a DSLR, an easy good way to focus is to watch dim stars appear and disappear as you pass through focus.  You go where you see the best dim stars.

If that won't work, I suggest using a Bahtinov mask.

A way to get more stars is to expose longer.  What mount are you using?

#4 Gipht

Gipht

Viking 1

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:00 PM

You captured the bright stars at the center of the nebula, I think they are called the Trapezium.  That is not easy  to do.

#5 m033dkhan

m033dkhan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

What kind of scope are you using? When I look at the image, the stars look roundish on the right side, and pretty distorted on the left. Is this image uncropped? Depending on the scope type, there will be different approaches to fix your stars.

I have a celestron SLT 102. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by m033dkhan, 14 November 2017 - 10:47 PM.

#6 m033dkhan

m033dkhan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

You captured the bright stars at the center of the nebula, I think they are called the Trapezium. That is not easy to do.

Ah.. lucky i guess 😊

#7 m033dkhan

m033dkhan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Nice start.

Assuming you're using a DSLR, an easy good way to focus is to watch dim stars appear and disappear as you pass through focus. You go where you see the best dim stars.

If that won't work, I suggest using a Bahtinov mask.

A way to get more stars is to expose longer. What mount are you using?

Its an alt az mount. Once i get good at the imaging process ill move to an eq mount.

#8 A10-c

A10-c

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

That looks very pretty to me.

My only experience is with SharpCap (it's free). It stacks if it has enough stars and there seem to be plenty in your image. You can also play with the minimum and maximum threshold star sizes. In any case I got it to work with my narrow FOV Mak-Cass so I'm sure you'll get it to work with such a wide image and so many stars.

• m033dkhan likes this

#9 sink45ny

sink45ny

Viking 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start m033dkhan. Nice work.

• m033dkhan likes this

#10 Lokifish

Lokifish

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:42 AM

A focusing mask makes all the difference but I suggest something with less obstruction like a Lord Mask to start with. Use a bright star to set focus then slew to your target. Orion has plenty of bright stars that you can use.

I also suggest doing two sets of subs about 3 stops apart. One for highlights (brighter stars) and the other for shadows (darker regions of the nebula). Process each set separately then merge the two as an HDR to expand detail and contrast even further. There's a number of guides on how to do this.

• m033dkhan likes this

#11 m033dkhan

m033dkhan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start m033dkhan. Nice work.

waytogo.gif Thank you!

A focusing mask makes all the difference but I suggest something with less obstruction like a Lord Mask to start with. Use a bright star to set focus then slew to your target. Orion has plenty of bright stars that you can use.

I also suggest doing two sets of subs about 3 stops apart. One for highlights (brighter stars) and the other for shadows (darker regions of the nebula). Process each set separately then merge the two as an HDR to expand detail and contrast even further. There's a number of guides on how to do this.

Thanks, I'll look into the focusing mask. Also will search for the processing guide, If you have the link i'd greatly appreciate it if you could share it flowerred.gif

#12 Lokifish

Lokifish

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

This one's a pretty good processing guide-

"Astrophotography Image Processing in Photoshop [Step by Step]"

For HDR, this is a good starting point -

"HDR Composition for astronomical images"

Here's a good video guide-

"HDR Composition in PixInsight Tutorial"

Edited by Lokifish, 15 November 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• m033dkhan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, Celestron, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics