•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eclipse Photo Contest - Coming Soon!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 nmoushon

nmoushon

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wenatchee Valley, WA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

So the mods here have been thinking it would be a fun idea to hold an in-house photo contest for the 2017 North American Solar Eclipse. We are planning on doing a couple categories but would like everyone's input as to what they should be. We have thought of a couple but would love to see what you guys and gals would like to see! 

The current plan is to have the contest start beginning of December and finish up around the New Year. Then the second week or so of January we would announce the winners. This would give everyone plenty of time to get entries in without interfering with the holidays. We will flush out other details and entry requirements later.

So, give us your ideas on categories and start prepping your entry images!

#2 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

For starters, one idea for categories could simply be based on the various points of the eclipse. Corona, Bailey's Beads, Diamond Ring, Earthshine, Prominence, etc. I am sure other aspects of the eclipse can be categorized as well. Perhaps a special effects category.

Thanks,

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000, 16 November 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#3 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback, the more contributions the better in this post as it helps us gauge interest in the activity proposed.

#4 Robin

Robin

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

I like the categories mentioned by Mel. One category per eclipse phenomenon. Perhaps shadow bands can be included (although I have mainly seen videos of it).

How about a category for eclipse sketches?

Clear skies

Robin

#5 Ejohn88

Ejohn88

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

Photo contest now is a great idea as many people I’ve talked to weren’t able to finish processing etc during the 2 weeks after the eclipse when most other contests were held. Contest winners now should really be creme de la creme!

Eric

#6 ilikeit

ilikeit

Lift Off

• Loc: Southeast Washington

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

I love the idea of the photo contest! I like Mels idea of the catagories. Would be nice to group as well, meaning most of us process our own photos from home; so that would fall under amateur. I know some took the pictures, but sent them in to a professional; so that would fall under professional. We could even have a beginner group too. What do you think.

#7 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus Nebraska USA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Great idea!  For those of us who had to deal with clouds.  I've seen some good pictures that include a veil of clouds.  Perhaps there's a category there.

#8 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

#9 nmoushon

nmoushon

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Yes, please keep the ideas coming! 

We will be putting everything together this weekend and hopefully have the contest categories up next week! 

#10 Ejohn88

Ejohn88

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

Eclipse phenomena categories like diamond ring, corona, earthshine, etc make sense although a single photo might be eligible for more than one category (even though it should probably just win in one for fairness). So maybe the submitter should not have to specify the category at submission time. Just a thought.

Other categories could include landscapes and/or time-series composites.

#11 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Single exposure, composites, time lapse series,  sunspots during partial... 

#12 Joshiewowa

Joshiewowa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Multiple exposure/single image time lapse (think I explained that right), animated time lapse

#13 nmoushon

nmoushon

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

I have posted and pinned several new threads for the photo contest. It is now officially started!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics