•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Many Chromebooks now run Android apps, so...

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

Love the elusive term "support" (as in A supports B).

The full-blessing term I'd like to see is 100% compatible on device functionalities

Does is support COM port, USB-OTG, 9-axis DOF sensors, WiFi/BL/BLE encapsulated virtual-COM port (reverse telnet), all Android libraries/API, etc., etc.?

No doubt the goal is to make it 100% compatible, but are we there yet?

#102 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

Love the elusive term "support" (as in A supports B).

The full-blessing term I'd like to see is 100% compatible on device functionalities

Does is support COM port, USB-OTG, 9-axis DOF sensors, WiFi/BL/BLE encapsulated virtual-COM port (reverse telnet), all Android libraries/API, etc., etc.?

No doubt the goal is to make it 100% compatible, but are we there yet?

Nothing is ever 100% compatible.  I just want a decent laptop that can do the things I need to do on a laptop.  I am finding my Asus C302C to be quite effective as a laptop.  

Jon

• halx and nicknacknock like this

#103 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Exactly. Especially with the Android platform, which is known for its fragmented nature. I.e. an app may work on one Android device, but crash on another. So to have a 100% compatibility for just a single app on Chromebook you need at least 5 users actively bugging the (typical) app's developer demanding necessary bug fixes and the app developer willing to bug the device manufacturer (or/and Google) to fix any issues preventing him/her from fixing the issue in the app... I'll say it again: get a normal laptop. Chromebook is just an Internet browser. Want a bigger Android screen? Get a tablet. Need a physical keyboard for REALLY massive typing work? Get a normal sized BT keyboard (it will be better than on any laptop for the task).

Edited by halx, 13 February 2019 - 01:28 PM.

• ccs_hello likes this

#104 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Exactly. Especially with the Android platform, which is known for its fragmented nature. I.e. an app may work on one Android device, but crash on another. So to have a 100% compatibility for just a single app on Chromebook you need at least 5 users actively bugging the (typical) app's developer demanding necessary bug fixes and the app developer willing to bug the device manufacturer (or/and Google) to fix any issues preventing him/her from fixing the issue in the app... I'll say it again: get a normal laptop. Chromebook is just an Internet browser. Want a bigger Android screen? Get a tablet. Need a physical keyboard for REALLY massive typing work? Get a normal sized BT keyboard (it will be better than on any laptop for the task).

Just as nothing is ever 100% compatible, no one solution is ever the best solution for every user. 

I have no interest in a Windows laptop.  Windows has it's place but it is really just a traveling disaster with leaking holes being patched on a daily basis.  Downloading a program is a challenge to avoid adware and every other sort of ware.  I don't do it anymore.  

The best advice I have ever seen about choosing hardware, figure out what software you want to run and buy something that runs it.  For me, the Chromebook is doing the job very nicely.  

I have to say, that's might fine.. 

Jon

#105 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

Windows 10 is great. Just avoid non-trusted software downloading resources if your IT level is insufficient to self-protect. That actually applies to the Android and Chromium as well, just happen to have not so many non-trusted resources around, but your phone/tablet can be infested with adware and extremely buggy apps bloating your entire system even from the Google Play.

• Steve Cox likes this

#106 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

Windows 10 is great. Just avoid non-trusted software downloading resources if your IT level is insufficient to self-protect. That actually applies to the Android and Chromium as well, just happen to have not so many non-trusted resources around, but your phone/tablet can be infested with adware and extremely buggy apps bloating your entire system even from the Google Play.

Windows 10 is Windows 10. I don't think anyone has ever said Windows Anything was "great."  Workable, the best option of a sorry lot.

Won't run the programs I like to run.  That pretty much does it, for me. 

Jon

• lphilpot and daw316 like this

#107 Dreams4000

Dreams4000

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Just my 2 cents, using a Samsung Chromebook Pro with an ASIAir- with the asiair android app + skysafari 6 pro android app.  Connects to an AVX mount and my asi guide and main cams.  Works wonderful!  So glad I don't have to putz around with a Windows laptop.  Still have the windows desktop for post processing but otherwise everything else is done on the chromebook via apps.  Easy, fast and reliable. :)  Nice part is, I can switch from the Chromebook to a Nexus android tablet if I want even smaller formfactor and all the operations are still the same.  Phone? Yeah that works too. Granted pretty small on a screen.  Definitely love where all this has gone with Android support.  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#108 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Windows 10 is Windows 10. I don't think anyone has ever said Windows Anything was "great."

I'm using Windows, MacOS, Several breeds of Linux, and have experience with the NextStep, OS/2, and even Amiga. Windows 10 is the best. So "Great" is really great.

If you just want to run SkySafari on the Chromebook I'd rather ditch the former than the Windows laptop as there are much much better apps for Windows which can do UNCOMPARABLY much more and much better for an amateur astronomer.

Android is a handheld OS. If you need a Chromebook to run it, you (or your software of choice) are doing something wrong. Just IMHO.

Edited by halx, 05 March 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#109 Dreams4000

Dreams4000

Explorer 1

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

Android is a handheld OS. If you need a Chromebook to run it, you (or your software of choice) are doing something wrong. Just IMHO.

To each their own.  What works for one person may not work for the other.  Doesn't make Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android etc etc any less viable if it works for the person using it.  Glad Windows works for you for your needs.  I use Windows at work (IT/Software development) but use Chromebook for all my laptop related needs and it has also served perfectly for astrophotography application as well to keep everything easy to use, stable and quite mobile.  Sure Windows works for that space too, noone is saying it doesn't, just not for me and obviously for some others.  And yes, lots more apps on Windows that you have to use.. Soo glad I'm not on Windows and can do all I need for imaging with two apps that are mobile and easy, done.  Post processing is still catching up.  Best wishes and have fun!

• halx likes this

#110 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

Ok. So, that's:

... keep everything easy to use, stable and quite mobile...

- Are you saying Chromebook (CB) with Android apps is more stable than a Windows laptop (WL)? But that's just (barely blessed by Google) hacking!

- It's definitely not the mobility as the size of a CB and a WL is roughly the same (or what I'm missing here?).

- Easy to use is quite questionable, as the Android is almost exclusively screen-touch-based, while CB is significantly keyboard and mouse oriented. Yes, it has the touch-screen, but that's originally a very secondary UI option kept just for fun. It should be inconvenient to use it for the interaction with Android apps (so, are you folks using the mouse/touchpad for that?). Yes, I know, lately, the ChromiumOS started targeting tablets too. But that reminds me of the old tale about the "Antimatter-based world":

"In the Antimatter world, everything is anti- to our ways. For example, we are eating soup from bowls using spoons, while anti-people eating their anti-soup from anti-spoons using anti-bowls! Isn't that amazing? Sure thing, as the time goes, anti-bowls were made slicker and got long handle for convenience. Anti-spoons, on the other hand, went much larger and deeper to save time and also lost atavistic handle to improve safety". grin.gif

No offense, use what you pleased, best wishers, and everything. But I'm trying to understand for myself what I'm missing here denying the viability of the Chromebook for the hobby while juggling over 700 apps on my two EDC Android Smartphones and probably more on four laptops?

Edited by halx, 05 March 2019 - 10:57 PM.

#111 Dreams4000

Dreams4000

Explorer 1

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:39 PM

Wow...

This is really simple... If it doesn't work for you, more power to you with the route you want to take.  Use what you want.  That's the joy of this hobby.. There's 500 ways to capture a star.  But just because it's not viable for you, doesn't mean it isn't viable for others.  This is totally viable for some of us and works wonderfully.  :)

#112 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

I'm using Windows, MacOS, Several breeds of Linux, and have experience with the NextStep, OS/2, and even Amiga. Windows 10 is the best. So "Great" is really great.

If you just want to run SkySafari on the Chromebook I'd rather ditch the former than the Windows laptop as there are much much better apps for Windows which can do UNCOMPARABLY much more and much better for an amateur astronomer.

Your opinion is not at all humble.  

Please just accept the fact that the Chromebook works for me, does the things I need it to do and that includes running SkySafari.  I have tried every Android planetarium app I can find and nearly every Windows program and out under the night sky, SkySafari is the one that does the job.  That is reality.  No hyperbole, no extreme statements, no BS, that's reality.  

For me, the fact that SkySafari runs on the Chromebook is nice but not particularly important, it's handy having it on my laptop because it is what I use on my phone and tablets.  I am not a power user, I just want some internet connectivity, ability to do simple things like word processing, surfing the web, a little math, simple image processing.  Chromebook does this very nicely.  

One big plus with Android is that it has the Playstore.  I can download software without getting inundated with unwanted software when I try to download an app.  

It seems Windows 10 is your favorite.  I am OK with that.  I am not trying to convince you that a Chromebook running Android would be better for you.  That however does not mean it would work better for me.. 

Jon

• btschumy, lphilpot and Sean Wood like this

#113 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

I know your take on this one, Jon. No need to repeat yourself. I'm interrogating Dreams4000 now flowerred.gif

Edited by halx, 07 March 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#114 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

This is really simple... If it doesn't work for you, more power to you with the route you want to take.  Use what you want.  That's the joy of this hobby.. There's 500 ways to capture a star.  But just because it's not viable for you, doesn't mean it isn't viable for others.  This is totally viable for some of us and works wonderfully.  smile.gif

What I'm trying to convey is that using Android on Chromebook means you just cope with all the drawbacks of that while having a normal laptop and real Android devices. Yes, it works, as works hammering nails with the microscope, but why suffer when there are 499 other ways to do the same and half of that is at least less troublesome?

#115 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:14 AM

I know your take on this one, Jon. No need to repeat yourself. I'm interrogating Dreams4000 now flowerred.gif

This thread is about Chromebooks that run Android.  Windows is off-topic.  

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics