•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Many Chromebooks now run Android apps, so...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

Love the elusive term "support" (as in A supports B).

The full-blessing term I'd like to see is 100% compatible on device functionalities

Does is support COM port, USB-OTG, 9-axis DOF sensors, WiFi/BL/BLE encapsulated virtual-COM port (reverse telnet), all Android libraries/API, etc., etc.?

No doubt the goal is to make it 100% compatible, but are we there yet?

#102 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

Love the elusive term "support" (as in A supports B).

The full-blessing term I'd like to see is 100% compatible on device functionalities

Does is support COM port, USB-OTG, 9-axis DOF sensors, WiFi/BL/BLE encapsulated virtual-COM port (reverse telnet), all Android libraries/API, etc., etc.?

No doubt the goal is to make it 100% compatible, but are we there yet?

Nothing is ever 100% compatible.  I just want a decent laptop that can do the things I need to do on a laptop.  I am finding my Asus C302C to be quite effective as a laptop.  

Jon

• halx and nicknacknock like this

#103 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Exactly. Especially with the Android platform, which is known for its fragmented nature. I.e. an app may work on one Android device, but crash on another. So to have a 100% compatibility for just a single app on Chromebook you need at least 5 users actively bugging the (typical) app's developer demanding necessary bug fixes and the app developer willing to bug the device manufacturer (or/and Google) to fix any issues preventing him/her from fixing the issue in the app... I'll say it again: get a normal laptop. Chromebook is just an Internet browser. Want a bigger Android screen? Get a tablet. Need a physical keyboard for REALLY massive typing work? Get a normal sized BT keyboard (it will be better than on any laptop for the task).

Edited by halx, 13 February 2019 - 01:28 PM.

• ccs_hello likes this

#104 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Exactly. Especially with the Android platform, which is known for its fragmented nature. I.e. an app may work on one Android device, but crash on another. So to have a 100% compatibility for just a single app on Chromebook you need at least 5 users actively bugging the (typical) app's developer demanding necessary bug fixes and the app developer willing to bug the device manufacturer (or/and Google) to fix any issues preventing him/her from fixing the issue in the app... I'll say it again: get a normal laptop. Chromebook is just an Internet browser. Want a bigger Android screen? Get a tablet. Need a physical keyboard for REALLY massive typing work? Get a normal sized BT keyboard (it will be better than on any laptop for the task).

Just as nothing is ever 100% compatible, no one solution is ever the best solution for every user. 

I have no interest in a Windows laptop.  Windows has it's place but it is really just a traveling disaster with leaking holes being patched on a daily basis.  Downloading a program is a challenge to avoid adware and every other sort of ware.  I don't do it anymore.  

The best advice I have ever seen about choosing hardware, figure out what software you want to run and buy something that runs it.  For me, the Chromebook is doing the job very nicely.  

I have to say, that's might fine.. 

Jon

#105 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

Windows 10 is great. Just avoid non-trusted software downloading resources if your IT level is insufficient to self-protect. That actually applies to the Android and Chromium as well, just happen to have not so many non-trusted resources around, but your phone/tablet can be infested with adware and extremely buggy apps bloating your entire system even from the Google Play.

• Steve Cox likes this

#106 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

Windows 10 is great. Just avoid non-trusted software downloading resources if your IT level is insufficient to self-protect. That actually applies to the Android and Chromium as well, just happen to have not so many non-trusted resources around, but your phone/tablet can be infested with adware and extremely buggy apps bloating your entire system even from the Google Play.

Windows 10 is Windows 10. I don't think anyone has ever said Windows Anything was "great."  Workable, the best option of a sorry lot.

Won't run the programs I like to run.  That pretty much does it, for me. 

Jon

• lphilpot and daw316 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics