•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

11/17/2017: Full Disc Image (Solarmax 60)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Man, the weather was not being my friend today. I was out trying most of the day, but didn't get much useable until the tail end around 3:00 PM EDT. By then the Sun was getting low and creeping toward the tree line, plus pesky clouds. I'm still not getting as much detail as I would like. Seeing was not good, so that did not help matters. The Moonlite micro-focuser may be on my list now...I think it might make life easier. Couldn't hurt.

This was downsized 50%, cropped and converted to jpeg for posting.

Scope: Solarmax 60

Mount: C5+ one-arm fork and wedge

Camera: ZWO ASI 174MM (no barlow used this time)

Processed with: Autostakkert (to align), Registax (to sharpen with wavelets), Adobe Light Room (to add color), Gimp (to combine surface and proms into one image)

The proms came out wonky, but it's just the way things were going today. Thanks for looking!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• SM60 cropped and downsized 11-17-2017 jpeg.jpg

Edited by TerryWood, 17 November 2017 - 08:52 PM.

• Scott Beith, paulsky, R Botero and 4 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

Nice Terry, we were pretty much clouded in today.

• TerryWood likes this

#3 RickV

RickV

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

Looking good Terry.... can't pass any judgement... got to wait for a clear sky day! wink.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Warren! What was driving me nuts is that there was a lot of blue sky except where the Sun actually was. It was like a magnet! I caught a break for a very short window, but just barely. The image still looks too noisy to me and needs more finesse to get focus just right. I've just about talked myself into the getting the Moonlite focuser. I still like the stock for visual, but it really needs a micro focuser to dial it in for imaging. V/R Terry

#5 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

Very nice image Terry waytogo.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#6 Codbear

Codbear

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

Even better than the first one I saw Terry!

Did you dialed back the brightness a bit? Seems the proms are more...prominent! (sorry couldn't resist). The 60mm seems to give you so much more to work with, which in your hands is a great thing.

Sam

• TerryWood likes this

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

Thank you Rick and Bob! It feels good to at least have gotten something today. It was touch and go though! And I succumbed to Moonlite madness and ordered the black microfocuser they make for the Solarmax 1. I have no idea how long it typically takes to fill orders, but it will be really nice to have when it arrives. It's my understanding that it simply screws into place without difficulty on the Solarmax 1. I hope that's the case! :-) V/R Terry

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Sam! I messed around with it a lot, doing this and that until I felt I just about had the brightness and color balanced without washing it out. The proms were tough today due to clouds, so they are lacking in detail and their color is a bit off, but at least you can see them. I didn't use a barlow in the camera's nosepiece either. The seeing today just didn't support magnifying the image much. It looks a bit gritty, but I suppose that's partly due to the low magnification effecting resolution. Thanks again for the compliment! My imaging skills are always a work in progress. Some days it works decent, others not so much. But I'll definitely keep at it! V/R Terry

#9 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

You are putting that new 60 to good use.

• TerryWood likes this

#10 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

I wish I could put it to good use today, but it's solid clouds with rain on the way. But the forecast for Monday is abundant sunshine! Looking forward to that Moonlite focuser. The black and silver focuser housing should look nice with this scope too. V/R Terry

#11 Jason V. rhodes

Jason V. rhodes

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Albenga (SV) Italy

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Very nice image!!!waytogo.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#12 TerryWood

TerryWood

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Jason, I really appreciate it! V/R Terry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics