•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Latest ZWO/ASCOM Driver...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

...where has the control panel slider gone for the offset adjustment??

This surprise came about as I was helping a friend set up his new ASI1600MM-PRO in SGP.

So what's up? Is it a problem? Are we using the correct version?
(SOS...Jon)

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

The pro model does not allow you to adjust offset.   It's fixed (at 50 IIRC).

#3 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

Ahso. Thank you Chris.
Now, is this change good, bad or insignificant?

#4 powasam5000

powasam5000

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Oh man, Im rushing to get all my settings to go to a dark site tomorrow(haven't been in 8 months and I just got this 1600 mono.) and ive been scratching my head for 2 hours about this. My asi 174 as a guide has all the options for gain offset and such but my 1600MM just has gain. Thank god for this site!!! Thanks for the info.

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:45 PM

Oh man, Im rushing to get all my settings to go to a dark site tomorrow(haven't been in 8 months and I just got this 1600 mono.) and ive been scratching my head for 2 hours about this. My asi 174 as a guide has all the options for gain offset and such but my 1600MM just has gain. Thank god for this site!!! Thanks for the info.

Just for the record, the standard 1600mm driver allows for manually adjusting the offset. It's the pro model that does not.

Good, bad or insignificant? Not sure. You could email Sam at zwo, or maybe someone will stumble along and post the logic.

#6 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

Hubble

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

This surprise came about as I was helping a friend set up his new ASI1600MM-PRO in SGP.

(SOS...Jon)

Aye, they removed the offset slider for the Pro cameras. They use the offset for the maximum gain for the given camera for all gain settings. In the case of the ASI1600MM Pro, that is 50 ADU (12-bit). 

#7 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

(SOS...Jon)

Aye, they removed the offset slider for the Pro cameras. They use the offset for the maximum gain for the given camera for all gain settings. In the case of the ASI1600MM Pro, that is 50 ADU (12-bit).

Thank you, Jon.
Is this fixed offset a change of dubious efficacy?

#8 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

Hubble

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

I think it is a good change. A lot of people have been confused about what offset is for, and adjusting it, while at higher gains it can have some value for optimizing dynamic range, is really not all that important at unity or lower. By fixing it to the offset of the max gain, they eliminate another thing to have to fiddle with, with minimal impact to IQ. Since so many owners of this camera are more on the beginner side than the advanced side of the equation, I can't think that's a bad thing. 

I think having offset is useful under certain circumstances. Very high gain imaging, it can allow you to eek out a little more DR. It's also useful for planetary and other video imaging, where adjusting offset can be very useful in minimizing banding. But those are more niche cases, I think. 

#9 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Jon, thank you for that.

I was in a bit of a predicament, a 8300 CCD guy who was asked by a friend to help with this new ZWO 1600 PRO. I said, "We got to set up the gain and offset..."

Like I knew what I was talking about. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics