•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lightning strikes again! What a deal!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

A couple of years ago, I lucked into a once in a lifetime astro deal - an Orion/Vixen 102ED f/6.5 with Vixen GP mount/tripod and 5 or so EPs for $300

I think I might have topped that. Tonight I picked up:

Celestron C6-RGT 150mm achro with GOTO mount (not sure yet what the mount model is - rig was purchased in 2006-7, so whatever mount they had then)

Upgrades: 2" dual speed Moonlight crayford (with a ton of travel)

Pier attachment between the heavy duty tripod and mount

Orion 50mm RA finder

Orion 2" dielectric diagonal

Orion flexible dew shield

It also included the following eyepieces: 40mm TMB 2" SW ortho

20mm generic plossl

18mm TV Radian

9mm Burgess/TMB

7mm Nagler Type 6

5mm Nagler Type 6

4mm Burgess/TMB

And, a 1.25" moon filter, and 2" Neodymium skyglow filter. All in a Celestron foam case. Everything is in excellent condition, clearly well taken care of.

All for $300. I actually felt a little bad, and honestly if he were to contact me with sellers remorse shortly, I'd sell it back to him for the same $300. I asked if he was sure he wanted to sell it for such a low amount, and he said he just wanted to get rid of it. It was a very nice couple who were moving, and wouldn't have room for it. It was a beautiful home and neighborhood, too. 

Now, I just have to find time to set it up and try it out on a clear night. That's going to be the problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171117_211948.jpg

Edited by tedkord1968, 18 November 2017 - 12:03 AM.

• Scott in NC, stevew, SteveG and 10 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Where do you live? I want to visit this mysterious place full of deals on scopes.....

• PXR-5 and m033dkhan like this

#3 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Where do you live? I want to visit this mysterious place full of deals on scopes.....

New Jersey. Maybe this is the universe's way of balancing that fact out for me.

• zjc26138, Scott in NC, elwaine and 13 others like this

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

I have a friend in my VINTAGE RADIO club from CA that routinely picks up great deals like that.  He does the SWAPS and I mean DOES THE SWAPS.  It's like an obsession.  KNOWLEGE IS POWER - is all about knowing what the item is worth.  He has bought literally VAN loads of old radios for like $100!!! 

Listen to this - his son does the same thing - he does so well that he quit his "regular" job - just does the SWAPS - and sells the stuff on EBAY.  The guy now has over 20,000 EBAY buyer feedbacks!!!

In case you want to know where these guys live - SAN DIEGO.

MP/BL,NY 

PS: The son has a BS in computer science!!!     

• jay.i likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

Amazing deal.

Not many like that around....

#6 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Here's the thread from the Vixen 102ED deal. It lists exactly what that one included, and has pictures.

https://www.cloudyni...ed#entry5728128

#7 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

Here's the thread from the Vixen 102ED deal. It lists exactly what that one included, and has pictures.

https://www.cloudyni...ed#entry5728128

Congratulations! 

Now that you have have the Celestron, I'll be happy take the Vixen ED off your hands...mrevil.gif

I've gotten several great deals, although not as good as the Vixen ED. My secret method for finding such deals:

(If you read the following, you agree to do nice deed for someone else).

1. spend way too much time searching for things; craigslist, eBay, Facebook, various phone apps, swap meets garage sales, thrift stores, etc.

2. learn the value of things, so you will recognize a great deal

3. Act quickly. Do not pause, do not stop go. Contact the seller immediately.

#8 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

Wow - sweat deal.  Way to go!

#9 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

I look on the New Jersey Craigslist all the time and never see anything this good!

#10 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I look on the New Jersey Craigslist all the time and never see anything this good!

I have an app on my phone that alerts me. It checks every 5 minutes for an ad with telescope in the title. There's actually an interesting looking dob there right now, but my wife would kill me.

I'm this case I really lucked out, because the seller pulled the ad because he realized he didn't have the power supply, so he was going to realist it later after he got another one. So no one else could really see it. But, I already had the ad in the app, and I already have the power supply from my Nexstar 11 GPS.

This was actually in the Philly Craigslist. It was a good hour away from me, north of the city.

I'm just keeping the bundle separate for now in case he changes his mind in the next week or two. I didn't take advantage, he knew it was a crazy good price, but they were really nice and deserve a return period. I mean, the eyepieces alone are worth more than price I paid. The Moonlight focuser upgrade probably is too.

Edited by tedkord1968, 18 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• doctordub and Augustus like this

#11 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Dang, you did good!  Just the two Naglers that came with the deal were worth about 33% more than what you paid for the entire package.  If you didn't want those, you could easily sell them off, and the rest of the package would have been free, plus you'd have a little extra cash in your pocket. :waytogo:

• Augustus likes this

#12 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Dang, you did good! Just the two Naglers that came with the deal were worth about 33% more than what you paid for the entire package. If you didn't want those, you could easily sell them off, and the rest of the package would have been free, plus you'd have a little extra cash in your pocket. :waytogo:

I know. The ad said he was including some eyepieces including a couple of Televues. I expected a couple of plossls. And I thought that was a great deal. My jaw hit the ground when he opened the case and showed me the Naglers. The TMB SW-40 is a grenade.

I'm not selling any of it, though I might sell a couple of my existing eyepieces that duplicate these. They're better than what I've got right now.

Another minor deal I got was a TV Radian I got about a year ago locally for $70. Found that on a local astro club website.

Edited by tedkord1968, 18 November 2017 - 05:23 PM.

• Scott in NC, Augustus and Simon B like this

#13 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

If you get the traffic on bridges sorted I’d then start looking for the Asteroid that’s going to hit earth.

• PXR-5 likes this

#14 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

Good on you...just remember to pay that forward someday...keeps the universe in balance ya know!
  • Scott in NC, Augustus and Simon B like this

#15 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Here's a picture of the setup. The deal actually got a little bit better - there was a Baader semi-APO IR blocking 2" filter threaded on the diagonal. The mount is the Celestron Advanced GT.

Long term (possible) plans, I may swap the Moonlight onto the Vixen 4", mount that on the AGT. The Vixen is significantly lighter (of course), and really is free of CA. Surprisingly free. Definitely going to try and sell the GPE mount. My garage is small, and it's getting to look like a hoarder's paradise.

Attached Thumbnails

• setup.jpg
  • filter.jpg

Edited by tedkord1968, 19 November 2017 - 01:01 PM.

• stevew and Augustus like this

#16 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

If you get the traffic on bridges sorted I’d then start looking for the Asteroid that’s going to hit earth.

Well, we just got Governor Christie sorted, so that's a great start...

• doctordub and Phil Cowell like this

#17 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

Craigslist ads in Detroit metro are usually 500x 60mm reflectors with the OTA mounted backwards or they are priced at new retail prices.

• JIMZ7 likes this

#18 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

Craigslist ads in Detroit metro are usually 500x 60mm reflectors with the OTA mounted backwards or they are priced at new retail prices.

I agree. I've seen scopes pictured that were facing the ground backwards or prices that were outrageous up to twice as much.

Jim

• doctordub and Cpk133 like this

#19 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Finally got a chance to set it up and give it a quick try. In between the clouds, I managed to get a quick shot of the moon. The CA really isn't all that objectionable, less than I thought. But in the 40mm TMB SW that gave with it, there was a really thick yellow fringe on the limb of the moon.

Image taken at the eyepiece with my phone, through a Radian 10mm. The minus violet filter was not used.

28bf5665c7baf25715feecb15b8acb46.jpg

Edited by tedkord1968, 27 November 2017 - 07:46 PM.

• Planethunter80 likes this

#20 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:28 AM

Finally got a chance to set it up and give it a quick try. In between the clouds, I managed to get a quick shot of the moon. The CA really isn't all that objectionable, less than I thought. But in the 40mm TMB SW that gave with it, there was a really thick yellow fringe on the limb of the moon.

Image taken at the eyepiece with my phone, through a Radian 10mm. The minus violet filter was not used.

I see a pretty pronounced purple fringe in the photo. I also see it around the terminator. Comes with the territory, though I don't how much of that the camera contributes. Don't expect to see surface details on Venus either. ;)

#21 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

I see a pretty pronounced purple fringe in the photo. I also see it around the terminator. Comes with the territory, though I don't how much of that the camera contributes. Don't expect to see surface details on Venus either. ;)
Its there, just not as bad as I thought. My next step may be to determine if its over or under corrected and wait for the proper chromacor to show up on the market. I'm not sure.

#22 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

I see a pretty pronounced purple fringe in the photo. I also see it around the terminator. Comes with the territory, though I don't how much of that the camera contributes. Don't expect to see surface details on Venus either. wink.gif
Its there, just not as bad as I thought. My next step may be to determine if its over or under corrected and wait for the proper chromacor to show up on the market. I'm not sure.

Interesting. They made Chromacors for the Genesis? Good luck. As for me, I'm hoping tonight might be clear(ish), the first clear night in a long time. :(

#23 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

I see a pretty pronounced purple fringe in the photo. I also see it around the terminator. Comes with the territory, though I don't how much of that the camera contributes. Don't expect to see surface details on Venus either. wink.gif

These can be quite pricy.  Also, IME most Synta's (C6R) are under-corrected meaning you need an 0-1 Chromacorr. 

#24 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Interesting. They made Chromacors for the Genesis? Good luck. As for me, I'm hoping tonight might be clear(ish), the first clear night in a long time. frown.gif

I missed the Genesis reference?  The OP has a Celestron C6R?

#25 David P

David P

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

What a find!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics