•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some More Small Galaxies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 George Simon

George Simon

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Commack, NY (Long Island)

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

For the third time in a row, I devoted my monthly imaging session this month to small galaxies. This time, the targets were M77, the face-on barred spiral near the top of the image, and NGC 1055, the nearly edge-on spiral near the bottom. These two galaxies are the dominant members of the small M77 galaxy group, which is about 50 million light years distant from us. Also included in the image is the tiny spiral NGC 1072, which is roughly equidistant from M77 and NGC 1055 toward the right side of the image. Based on the quick research I have done, it does not appear that NGC 1072 is part of the M77 group.

The image is the product of 120 X 80 sec. subs, shot at ISO 800. More gear and acquisition information on the Astrobin page.

get.jpg?insecure

M77 Processed.jpeg

• Gregory, PhilHoyle, Peter B and 10 others like this

#2 Aquarius Of The Night

Aquarius Of The Night

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

That's going up as a desktop wallpaper!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics