•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

They're back (at $160) - 8x42 Bushnell Legend Ms...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com...3.c100041.m2061

Ridiculous at MSRP or normal retail of about $270, but almost impossible to pass up at $160.

Big, broad FOV, waterproof, ED glass, flat and decently corrected.  Nicely balanced too in the hand.

- Jim

#2 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Vostok 1

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

I see on the website for bushnell where they state lead free glass- not ED. Am I missing something?http://bushnell.com/...-series-8x-42mm     

Regards , Pat- who spent the day to to understand why my 4 dollar tower 7x35's- 7 degree, never came to a good focus on the right side and finally before I started messing with the right EP  element spacers found the right obj was somehow cocked a bit yet still nicely  collimated. .......

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

I see on the website for bushnell where they state lead free glass- not ED. Am I missing something?http://bushnell.com/...-series-8x-42mm     

Regards , Pat- who spent the day to to understand why my 4 dollar tower 7x35's- 7 degree, never came to a good focus on the right side and finally before I started messing with the right EP  element spacers found the right obj was somehow cocked a bit yet still nicely  collimated. .......

Look at the specification icons under the written description.

They are:  "ED Glass", "Dielectric Prism Coating", "Rainguard HD" and "Ultra Wide Band Coatings".

Here's another description:

https://www.bhphotov...ridge_roof.html

"Extra Low-Dispersion Lead-Free Glass

Dielectric-Coated BAK4 Roof Prisms
Ultra Wide Band Fully Multicoated Optics
Wide Angle Viewing: 65°
Nitrogen-Filled, Water and Fogproof
Open Bridge Configuration
Magnesium Alloy Chassis
Center Focusing
Tripod Mountable
Twist-Up Click-Stop Eyecups"

The binoculars themselves have an ED glass icon decal on the body.

Best,

Jim

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

http://bushnell.com/...nd-e-l-m-series

Stan

#5 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Vostok 1

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

the bushnell ad for it might be a bit misleading in that they show "ed prime" on the left eyepiece on the "L" and "M' series yet mention in the copy that it's used on the  "L" series" only. It shows prominently on all the "l" series ads at the top of the  list of features yet isn't mentioned at all in the add data on the "m" series- both 8x42 and 10x42 have the ed prime on the eyepiece yet not a mention of the desired feature in the copy??   Perhaps it's just me.      Regards, Pat

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

The way I read it,  the E series is the basic version.  L adds ED glass,  M is top of the with ED glass etc. 

Still,  as Jim knows,  there's more to optics than just the glass.  I have an 80 mm Bushnell Legend Ultra HD spotting scope.  It has all the right specs,  ed glass,  two speed,  sliding dew shield,  twist up eye cup,  decent zoom eyepiece.  It's good enough as an entry level ED spotter but it's seems more like a scope that was designed to meet a price point on a sales spec sheet rather than as an integrated system designed to be used. 

Jon

#7 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Vostok 1

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Jim; I never got down that far to read the icons!! Funny that the body of text says nada about it. That's an impressive FOV for a 8x42 bin.     Regards, Pat

• jrbarnett likes this

#8 gunut

gunut

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sussex Wisconsin

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

just could never wrap my head around bushnell as quality....any more than tasco....

• EverlastingSky likes this

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

The way I read it,  the E series is the basic version.  L adds ED glass,  M is top of the with ED glass etc. 

Still,  as Jim knows,  there's more to optics than just the glass.  I have an 80 mm Bushnell Legend Ultra HD spotting scope.  It has all the right specs,  ed glass,  two speed,  sliding dew shield,  twist up eye cup,  decent zoom eyepiece.  It's good enough as an entry level ED spotter but it's seems more like a scope that was designed to meet a price point on a sales spec sheet rather than as an integrated system designed to be used. 

Jon

Correct on all counts, Jon.  And the "ED Prime Glass" icon sticker is on the body of the M-series binoculars.

Here's the 10x42 Legend M showing the "Prime ED Glass" sticker on the barrel housing:

https://www.allbinos...912_bsuhM_3.jpg

https://www.allbinos...910_bsuhM_1.jpg

In this case the incorporation of ED glass (likely CDGM HFK-61) works reasonably well, producing less false color than my wife's non-ED glass Olympus 8x42 roof prisms.  Though the Olympus focuser action is quite a bit better  - the one gripe I have mechanically about the Bushnell's is a tiny bit of "spring back" in the focuser; when you take your finger off it seems to release stored energy and unwind the focuser a tiny bit.  Reminds me of a GSO Crayford in this regard.  A little stiction.  In practice you adapt and adjust almost automatically.

And as you surmise, Jon, these were designed by marketers to check all of the desirable boxes on the glossy ad copy.  But $160 for color corrected, flat, very wide field, ergonomic, balanced 8x42 roof prisms is a really good deal.

The Olympus Magellans, which are comparable in performance save in the color correction  and FOV departments (6.3 vs. 8.1 degrees), cost me $219 about 7 years ago.  They are made in Japan (still) which probably accounts for the higher price.  These Bushnells with a greater than 8-degree well corrected field are also better for astronomy. 

Best,

Jim 

Edited by jrbarnett, 21 November 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

And as you surmise, Jon, these were designed by marketers to check all of the desirable boxes on the glossy ad copy.  But $160 for color corrected, flat, very wide field, ergonomic, balanced 8x42 roof prisms is a really good deal.

Jim:

Do you have the binos in your hands so you can say with confidence that they really are what you say? 

Jon

#11 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:59 AM

just could never wrap my head around bushnell as quality....any more than tasco....

I do not think there is another company that produces a wide range of optical instruments from the 'not so good entry level optics' to 'very good optics'. Perception and name recognition is a important selling point and now the name 'Bushnell' appears to have a reputation for 'average optics' which is unfortunate. Yes, their entry level optics are at 'departmental' level but their upper end optics are optically sound. I have the now older split bridge Japanese Bushnell Elite 8x43, the Elite 10x42 ED as well as the the previous Baush and Lomb Japanese Discoverer 7x42 roofs - all provide good to high optical and build qualities. The Elite's 8x43's especially so - almost to the standard of some Euro Alpha binoculars.
For years Bushnell designed, produced, and distributed the high-end binoculars sold under the Bausch & Lomb name, such as the B & L Elites. Until 2004, Bushnell paid a royalty to Bausch & Lomb for the use of the B & L name and logo, and B & L was not involved with the design or production of the binoculars bearing their name. Bushnell made many of the same 'B & L' binoculars but now under their own Bushnell brand. The Baush and Lomb name tended to be held in high regard [ as did the Tasco name] but this name no longer exists for optical instruments. This may have not been a good marketing move. Bushnell decision also to make more entry level binoculars for the mass market has had a somewhat negative impact on the Bushnell name which again is unwarranted esp. so for their more top end optics. Perception is an important marketing tool.

Actually its a bit like Sony who have produced some excellent top end audio gear over the years esp. their 'ES' versions, again their more mass market products have diluted the Sony name somewhat . Unfortunately mass marketing is were the money is made.

Chris

Edited by chris charen, 21 November 2017 - 02:27 AM.

• KennyJ and jrbarnett like this

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Aurora

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

Bushnell are offering a mail in rebate on the legend and Elite series binoculars, $50 &$100, good in Canada not sure about the US till December 31st, I ordered a pair of the compact Legend 10x25 roof prisms based on that, I,m a sucker for a deal, they should arrive today,grin.gif D.

Edited by Binojunky, 21 November 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#13 Binojunky

Binojunky

Aurora

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

I have both the Elite 8x42 (latest version, Japan made) the 7x26 again Japanese, and the older Legend 8x42 bought when they revamped the line up, its Chinese and other than treating the diopter ring with respect I have been very happy with all three,D.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Jim:

Do you have the binos in your hands so you can say with confidence that they really are what you say? 

Jon

Indeed I do.

20170816_163935_zpsfv3ugv9t.jpg

My earlier comments on these binoculars:

https://www.cloudyni...iz#entry8163102

Best,

Jim  

#15 outofsight

outofsight

Viking 1

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

The price appears to have gone up to $180 today. Probably still a good deal in that range of binocular.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics