•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

They're back (at $160) - 8x42 Bushnell Legend Ms...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:50 AM

And now they are down to $153.  Tempting......

#27 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

$153 to $180, or free, you can't go wrong. I bought with this in mind (along with the reasons on the last sentence in post 18, wider angle and closer focus), I knew the focuser might be iffy and I'd also read some negative things about the "diopter lock," so I bought them prepared to send them back. I also knew that a lot of the negative information about the diopter mechanism was probably due to user misunderstanding or error.

The pair I got for $160 showed up and have a perfectly smooth focuser and, oddly enough, I haven't even had to change the diopter setting, I can't say that for most binoculars I've ever had. But the diopter thing works just fine. 

I like their form factor a lot too. For the money I doubt if you can do better. Kind of like what opticsguy said in post 24, I can easily see how you could own quite a few pairs of binocs and these would be your favorites.

Edited by outofsight, 15 January 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#28 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I have no willpower--I just ordered a pair...

I was actually hemming-and-hawing over a pair of Nikon Action EX 8x40, but you all convinced me.  Like I need convincing...no willpower.

jason

#29 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Give us a quick update when you get them, what you think, pros and cons. 

#30 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Will do.

jason

• outofsight likes this

#31 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Out for delivery, but it's cloudy...

jason

#32 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

426 foot vs 399 for a Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42.
Or 7.6 vs 8 degree on this one.
Also ligter and price is over 15 times higher.
This is China mass production pricing.
But tech look nice and ED glass.
One would like to hear comparision on stars vs this 2 binos.

#33 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

Out for delivery, but it's cloudy...

jason

Keep in mind; I am a novice with binocular viewing, so both my skill set and equipment usage is limited...

I did a quick run through with the Legends at both dusk and in the evening when Orion popped out between clouds.

Ergos are very nice for my medium sized hands, and the PD adjustment is firm but nicely fluid.  Both the adjustable diopter and it's lock are very stiff and difficult to make changes.  I hope these will free-up a little with the passing of time.

About the optics, the Legends are very color accurate.  The colors of the frenzied hummingbirds at my feeder where vibrant, with very good contrast.  Trees on a hilltop in the distance came alive as well, even given the slight haze at dusk.  These are very bright binoculars, best light transmission I've seen in binoculars with my limited experience.  Focus adjustment is generous, making dialing in focus easier at the cost of having to turn the focus wheel a lot more.

The Legends have a nice, contrasty, flat field: subjects within the focal plane are evenly and equally sharp.  Sharpness does fall off towards the edge of the image circle, but the falloff is near the edge.  However, the Legends are very sharp indeed.

On Orion (when visible), compared to my Visionking 8x42WA Porro with a similar feature set (minus the dielectric coating), the Legends were easily superior in all optics categories.  Brighter, sharper, darker fields, more pop and immersion.  The Legend's FoV similarly compared to the Visionkings's 429'/1000yds FoV; the former clearly demonstrated more pop and immersion.  I also compared the Legend's FoV to the Bushnell 7x35 Porro Falcon's 420'/1000yds FoV; with the former displaying a slightly wider FoV.

The Legends suppress light-leak very well, even when wearing my glasses stray light did not enter my view.

The Legends are clearly the best overall binocular in my kit, and in my budget-minded opinion (I still LOVE my Skymasters!  wink.gif ) , the Bushnell Legend M series is clearly worth every penny of the $153 USD I spent.

As a Novice user of binoculars, I highly recommend the Legend Ms to other novice users of binoculars...at this current price-point.

CS

jason

• jrbarnett, Crow Haven, Bonco2 and 2 others like this

#34 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the review, The Luckster, jason. My diopter lock takes a firm pull, and rotating for a diopter change is a little stiff when I first rotate it, but then when I rotate it back and forth a bit it rotates freely.

Though, all in all, it sounds like you got a nice pair. I like mine a lot. Optically they are very nice and I really like the shape of them. Currently I have mine set up with the eye relief things (can't think of the name right now) extended all the way out and the binoculars fit right into the top of my eye socket and give a very stabile view. It took a little messing around to arrive at that.

A superb pair of binoculars at any price, but less than $200 is quite nice. I'm glad jrbarnett brought them up.

#35 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

***I forgot to mention that MFD is about 2 meters***

Like you all didn't know what these binoculars look like...

39770110602_e43760196a_c.jpg

25929316418_3021893bf0_c.jpg

38902805735_aa6ced1953_c.jpg

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 21 January 2018 - 06:11 PM.

• jrbarnett, Crow Haven, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#36 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

I has try to get them from US ( not sold here in Sweden ) but they dont like to ship.

Question.
The ultra HD is they a better bino than the Legend M ?
Think both has same 142 meter.

Does anyone know of this brand.

Whats is the change from old Legend M to the new one ?

#37 trener

trener

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: European Union

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Legend M is better than Ultra HD. Brighter, better corrected at the edge, more neutral color reproduction.

#38 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

I notice there are a Legend M whit green coatings, the new Legend (?) M has red.
Is green a old version ?

Do anyone know a US company ship outside USA ?
It tested e-bay and Amazon.
Strange !

#39 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

I notice there are a Legend M whit green coatings, the new Legend (?) M has red.
Is green a old version ?

Do anyone know a US company ship outside USA ?
It tested e-bay and Amazon.
Strange !

I don't think there are any "old Legend Ms".  The prior Legend was a single model called the "Legend Ultra HD".  Bushnell killed that prior model in 8x42 and 10x42, and replaced them with a new 3-tier Legend line-up.  Top tier in the new line are Legend Ms, Legend Ls are in the middle and Legend Es are at the bottom. 

The Ultra HD line does have different coatings and were probably made by a different manufacturer than the new Legends.  Bushnell is a branding company for the most part, having its products manufactured by third parties.

You might check if these guys can ship internationally:

https://www.bhphotov...wwaAgXOEALw_wcB

$209 is still a very good price.  If they can't/won't most likely it's because Bushnell forbids US dealers from shipping outside of North America.

Here's B&H's international shipping policy:

https://www.bhphotov...jsp#whereWeShip

Here are the two distributors Bushnell shows for Sweden:

SWEDEN FONDPRODUKTER AB Box 8066
650 08
KARLSTAD
SWEDEN
P:46 54 53 37 15
F:46 54 53 36 20
info@fondprodukter.se www.fondprodukter.se

SWEDEN PROFESSIONAL BACK UP AB KRANGATAN 2
MALMO
SWEDEN
P:00 46 40189933
F:00 46 406891412
per@probackup.se

You might check with them to see if they have this product and if so what they would charge locally.

As a last resort you might persuade some nice soul here to order them for you from the cheapest source, and forward them along to you by separate second shipment.  But you never know what the customs rules for "used" but nearly new binoculars might be US to Sweden.

Good luck!

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 24 January 2018 - 05:44 PM.

• outofsight likes this

#40 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

I'm a cheapskate at heart.

You can read about my other (mis-) adventures with optics deals that are literally too good to be true, but are true nonetheless:

https://www.cloudyni...-celestron-c90/

These are almost good enough to warrant their own "club" of enthusiasts, much like the Celestron C90.  In fact pairing them up (90mm MCT and 8x42 wide field binoculars) might just be the ultimate shoestring-budget astronomer's dynamic duo.

:thinking:

Best,

Jim

• PXR-5, Crow Haven and SherwoodL like this

#41 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:23 AM

This ’new’ model whit red coatings don’t sell in Sweden.

This is Legend M whit ”green” coatings. (?) (209 USD H &H’s )

https://www.bhphotov...ridge_roof.html

Edited by hakann, 25 January 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#42 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:23 AM

"This is Legend M whit ”green” coatings. (?) (209 USD H &H’s )

https://www.bhphotov...ridge_roof.html"

The Legend M-Series for $209 at B&H, that is the same one that is on eBay, and the same one that this thread is about.

It is a very good binocular.

#43 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

This ’new’ model whit red coatings don’t sell in Sweden.

This is Legend M whit ”green” coatings. (?) (209 USD H &H’s )

https://www.bhphotov...ridge_roof.html

There is only one Legend M 8x42 model; I think the green coating image on B&H is a CGI image or maybe due to the incident angle of the light if an actual photo.

In any case, these are all the same binocular.

Best,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 25 January 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#44 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

I don’t know what colour of coatings is best for astronomy, but as I heard blue-greenish.
Red I heard was good for hunters in twilight.
But if this is correct, not shore.
In this case I seen 2 pictures, one red and one green.
But the pics showed here, it do look red/orange.

#45 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

I don’t know what colour of coatings is best for astronomy, but as I heard blue-greenish.
Red I heard was good for hunters in twilight.
But if this is correct, not shore.
In this case I seen 2 pictures, one red and one green.
But the pics showed here, it do look red/orange.

That's just it.  Coating color on any binocular varies by lighting and light angle.  There are no different versions of this binocular.  Only one version and the coatings are identical on all of them, no matter what pictures show.  In fact, other than gimicky amber coatings targeted at hunters looking for cheap binoculars and a good story anout the funny colored coatings, most multicoated optics will flip hue between red/magenta and green/blue as you tilt them so the light strikes the coatings at different angles.

Best,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett, 25 January 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#46 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

After I got my Legend M 8x42 I picked up the Legend L 10x42. Another very nice binocular.
  • jrbarnett and outofsight like this

#47 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

Gemini

• -----

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

I'm a cheapskate at heart.

You can read about my other (mis-) adventures with optics deals that are literally too good to be true, but are true nonetheless:

https://www.cloudyni...-celestron-c90/

These are almost good enough to warrant their own "club" of enthusiasts, much like the Celestron C90.  In fact pairing them up (90mm MCT and 8x42 wide field binoculars) might just be the ultimate shoestring-budget astronomer's dynamic duo.

$160 + $180 + cost of a mount.....

If I were an astronomer with that amount budgeted, I might consider a 6- to 8-inch Dob and possibly some other binocular.

I am sure it's a great 8x42 instrument, though and a good value.

Edited by caveman_astronomer, 26 January 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#48 miannini

miannini

Sputnik

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

I have the same problem, of you, maybe a little worse: most US sellers are not willing to ship to Brazil (I believe they are more willing to ship to Sweden). To solve it, I use a mail forwarding company. There are many of those in the US, I use the shipito.com (no affiliation) and it has worked flawlessly on over 100 packages.

I has try to get them from US ( not sold here in Sweden ) but they dont like to ship.

Question.
The ultra HD is they a better bino than the Legend M ?
Think both has same 142 meter.

Does anyone know of this brand.

Whats is the change from old Legend M to the new one ?

#49 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

One here at CN will help me !

#50 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

I got my Bino now and I think Bushnell did try to copy the Swarovski EL model.
Body is nice and it do not feel cheap and I has no problem whit eyecups or focuser.
Of course the optics is not the same as in a EL 8.5X by 42 mm in daylight.
I don’t use my binos more than under the stars.
As I had ( beside my Zeiss 2060 ) 2 EL’s at 10X at 32 and 50 mm. ( I sold both actually )
First non of them could give the Zeiss a match and I had hard time to hold the both ( but the Zeiss I can hold less the IS vs 20X.
-Guess its is body style, size and weight.
So the 32 mm I feelt to small in object size ( for my taste ) in the EP and the 50 was not ’bulky’ but to big vs walkings/trek adventures.
So compare to the 60 mm Zeiss out there it was a left over for me.
Then I personally like the Zeiss contrast in optics better.
So I had a need of a 42 mm bino ( at now 8X - not 10X ) in a short, lightweight and a good price and a roof style package.
Its way easy to handle a 150 vs a 2500 USD out.

So far I’ll just barley tested it out on the stars in winter ( very bad sky ) in Sweden.

I kind of feelt I like it for what it is.

I will come back to a report later on.

As this bino is not sold here a kind member here at CN/bino helped me out from USA.
- Big thanks !

Edited by hakann, 27 February 2018 - 02:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics