•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 152 ED APO club

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#26 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

Congratulations Bomber Bob.  Looking forward to your first light report waytogo.gif

#27 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thanks to all y'all.  This APM 152 is shorter, lighter, and cheaper than my former D&G 5" F10.  No doubt of China's impact on the market.  Based on all that I've read, the optical quality is better than expected, so my only remaining issue was whether I should hold out for a vintage better brand showing up on the Classifieds or auction sites.  Yesterday's sale made the difference and the decision for me.

• Tyson M likes this

#28 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Congrats!! I was sorely tempted by the price for the 140mm, just $2500 before shipping... had to tell myself I don't need it!

Wait. What!?

Glad I didn't see that sale.  I don't need an APM 140.

But I want it.

I'll live vicariously through Bomber Bob's reports.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#29 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Thanks to the VIOLET FRIDAY SALE, I have an APM 152/1200 on order, so I'll be joining this club in a week or two... Really looking forward to challenging my 6" reflectors with this Big APO.

Mine will be riding on vintage Meade StarFinder 8 EQ mounts -- on the 5' tall pedestal, or on a Filotecnica surveyor tripod. The field version has the Magellan DSC system, and both have battery-powered single-axis drives for cord-free movements.

At the low price, mine has the 2.5" focuser.

Congrats! You will def have to give us your thoughts on the scope and put it through the paces! And pictures. :)
  • Bomber Bob likes this

#30 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Thanks to the VIOLET  FRIDAY  SALE, I have an APM 152/1200 on order, so I'll be joining this club in a week or two...  Really looking forward to challenging my 6" reflectors with this Big APO.

Mine will be riding on vintage Meade StarFinder 8 EQ mounts -- on the 5' tall pedestal, or on a Filotecnica surveyor tripod.  The field version has the Magellan DSC system, and both have battery-powered single-axis drives for cord-free movements.

At the low price, mine has the 2.5" focuser.

Congrats, Bob.  And thanks for not letting us wait until next year on your decision.  I'm sure you will enjoy the 152.

Dom Q.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#31 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

Both were at a great price point. Just remember the larger mount requirements of a 6" f/8. That has to be factored into the final cost.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#32 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Both of my Meade StarFinder mounts carry my 25 lb Tinsley 6" F20 Cassegrain.  I also have an antique Tinsley pedestal mount that'll carry it.  I'll have to use it to see how portable the rig is with the SF mount on a surveyor tripod -- if it's worth all the trouble to haul it out to dark sites when I already have a super-light 6" F4 Newt on the VersaGo, plus 5" & 4" F5 RFT refractors that ride very well on the Polaris.

#33 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Both were at a great price point. Just remember the larger mount requirements of a 6" f/8. That has to be factored into the final cost.

I looked and didn't see the APM 140ED on sale at all (must have missed it)

Also, the APM 152ED is still on sale.  For how long, who knows.

#34 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Seems to still be there: http://www.apm-teles...cher-tubus.html

#35 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

I read the ad as meaning just FRIDAY, but they should honor the sales price as long as the links are up.  Looks like they're down to 9 of the 152s & 28 of the 140s left in stock.  IIRC, APM had 14 of the 152s when I logged in Friday.

#36 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'll live vicariously through Bomber Bob's reports.

Thanks, but I'm just an old guy who's used a bunch of refractors over the years.  The 152 will get the same sky-testing I give every scope.  (I'll also put the lens up on my DPAC rig at some point.)  I'm still testing my vintage Vixen FL-80S -- had it out last night.  So far, I've seen no false color on any object at any magnification. 

I don't expect this economical 6" ED to have the same performance as my much more expensive fluorite -- and I've read reports of blue/violet fringing with some 152s (though I do wonder how much of that is due to alignment / collimation errors).  I do expect an unobstructed 6" refractor to have better contrast & resolution than my 6" reflectors.  Last night, the Vixen 80mm APO out-performed a refractor-like Mizar 100mm F10 Newtonian on the Moon at / above 100x.  No surprise there!

Good, bad, or ugly -- I'll report what I see (and image!).  I'm not an APM 152 fan yet, but I'm already very happy with the price, and I'm already impressed by Markus -- reminds me of how Barry would send me "update" postcards on my 5" refractor.  I never regretted that purchase, either.

My Vixen has a fairly standard rack & pinion focuser.  I "fine tune" at high power with the micro-touch ring on my Baader prism diagonal, and I'll use this with the 152 as well.  Besides my reflectors, the 152 will be going up against a very good vintage 5" F5 triplet refractor with 2" accessories for DSOs.  Lots of observing sessions once it arrives.

• bob midiri and JKAstro like this

#37 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Seems to still be there: http://www.apm-teles...cher-tubus.html

Thanks, I was going to the normal APM 140ED link and not the one under "Violet Friday".

#38 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Looks like the Violet Friday Sales ended.  Kudos to Markus for keeping it all weekend!

#39 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

My Vixen has a fairly standard rack & pinion focuser.  I "fine tune" at high power with the micro-touch ring on my Baader prism diagonal, and I'll use this with the 152 as well.  .

Bob, the APM 152 comes with a 10:1 fine focuser.  I don't think you will need to use the micro-touch.  Just sayin'.

Dom Q.

#40 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

Now that Skywatcher will soon be marketing their 152 f/8 ED APO  with FPL-53, I wonder how many owners of the APM 152 will jump ship and go for the "better" glass.

#41 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

Just got word it's NOT going to be FPL-53. At that price it couldn't be.

Edited by mogur, 27 November 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#42 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

What about a kid's corner/youth dividion of the club for 140 owners?

It will be interesting to see some data and QC info on the new Skywatcher offering to compare to the 140 and 150.

Cheers, Emil

• Bomber Bob and nuvax like this

#43 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

I am fortunate enough to own both a Sky-Watcher 120ED and the APM/LUNT 152 ED. Both fantastic scopes. I dont think a large percentage of people will jump ship from a very excellent APM scope to the newer Sky-Watcher , that is not to say that some one wont, as everyone searches for that perfect combination. Mine is built like a tank, and optically superb. The color correction in comparing both scopes is much better then I would have first thought!! The contrast is exceptional. I feel I would have to spend a lot more money to get a 6" refractor that would perform noticeably better. Right now I feel that if I am getting 90-95% of a premium scopes production I am more then satisfied, personally. These are great times!!

Attached Thumbnails

• mylunt152andSWed120B.jpg
  • mylunt152andSwED120.jpg

• stevew, SteveG, Jeff B and 4 others like this

#44 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

I am fortunate enough to own both a Sky-Watcher 120ED and the APM/LUNT 152 ED. Both fantastic scopes. I dont think a large percentage of people will jump ship from a very excellent APM scope to the newer Sky-Watcher , that is not to say that some one wont, as everyone searches for that perfect combination. Mine is built like a tank, and optically superb. The color correction in comparing both scopes is much better then I would have first thought!! The contrast is exceptional. I feel I would have to spend a lot more money to get a 6" refractor that would perform noticeably better. Right now I feel that if I am getting 90-95% of a premium scopes production I am more then satisfied, personally. These are great times!!

I own the APM 152 ED with a 3.7" focuser and a SW 102 Pro ED.  Both scopes are excellent optically, but the APM is by far the better scope in terms of fit and finish and  mechanical operation.  It remains to be seen whether the Synta 152 ED can live up to the APM (Kunming) mechanical and construction qualities, especially for the present introductory price.  

#45 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Bob, you're lucky to have that combo.  How much more does the 152 show on DSO's over the 120?

#46 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Jon that depends, clear nights at dark site, its amazingly better on Nebula etc, at home at relatively good site ( can see milky way on clear moonless nights) its not as dramatic on nebula, but still so on Globulars. Jupiter for example is noticeably more bright and more subtle detail is easier to distinguish.

• JKAstro, Jon_Doh and Bomber Bob like this

#47 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Bob, that's the kind of comparison I was looking for.  I've been trying to decide if a 140 or 150 would be worth the upgrade.

#48 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

Now that Skywatcher will soon be marketing their 152 f/8 ED APO  with FPL-53, I wonder how many owners of the APM 152 will jump ship and go for the "better" glass.

Better glass rofl2.gif  All that counts is the view, could care less about the glass, and the view is w o n d e r f u l hamsterdance.gif

Edited by BillP, 01 December 2017 - 11:33 PM.

• John O'Grady and Bomber Bob like this

#49 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Bob, that's the kind of comparison I was looking for.  I've been trying to decide if a 140 or 150 would be worth the upgrade.

IMO, and based on my tests, on extended objects like galaxies and nebula, a 140 is close enough to a 152 not to matter.  But on globs and planetary nebula the little extra aperture is appreciated.  In the end though, the biggest loss of going with a 140 instead of a 152 is probably psychological as in the back of your mind you will always be thinking it's not a 152.  Silly for sure...but psychology matters.  So if you think you can keep yourself immunized against the sillyness of aperture fever and what-ifs, etc., then go with the 140.  But you are the type that gets the fever easily and will have a silly regret about being 12mm short of some supposed nirvana, then get the 152.  So probably more important to base the decision on your psychology more than anything else because it is important as it drives our emotions.  Physics and science will always take a back seat to ones wants and desires, so never sell short your psychology because it will nag at you until you die if you do.

Edited by BillP, 02 December 2017 - 12:01 AM.

• Astrojensen, gnowellsct, John O'Grady and 4 others like this

#50 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

IMO, and based on my tests, on extended objects like galaxies and nebula, a 140 is close enough to a 152 not to matter.  But on globs and planetary nebula the little extra aperture is appreciated.  In the end though, the biggest loss of going with a 140 instead of a 152 is probably psychological as in the back of your mind you will always be thinking it's not a 152.  Silly for sure...but psychology matters.  So if you think you can keep yourself immunized against the sillyness of aperture fever and what-ifs, etc., then go with the 140.  But you are the type that gets the fever easily and will have a silly regret about being 12mm short of some supposed nirvana, then get the 152.  So probably more important to base the decision on you psychology more than anything else because it is important as it drives our emotions.  Physics and science will always take a back seat to ones wants and desires, so never sell short your psychology because it will nag at you until you die if you do.

I had to like-button.jpg this twice.

• Heywood and John O'Grady like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics