•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 152 ED APO club

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#476 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

Most likely keep both, the APM 140 for outreach work flowerred.gif , the APM/TMB-LZOS for me cool.gif

You in the 3x the price of the doublet club? bow.gif

#477 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:41 PM

Ah, thought both were APM ED's.  Clarifying the 6" is LZOS makes sense.

It is still an APM 152 ED ( kinda..... what's one extra bit of glass between friends cool.gif )

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7648.jpg

• Daniel Mounsey, stevew, John Huntley and 8 others like this

#478 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

The more I use the 152 the more I’m impressed. You all keep testing I’ll keep on using ;)
  • Doug Culbertson, RogerLaureys, Jan Owen and 3 others like this

#479 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

It is still an APM 152 ED ( kinda..... what's one extra bit of glass between friends cool.gif )

Beautiful scope!!  Love the Saturn V next to it waytogo.gif

I see you also have the APM 140.  Curious what advantage you find 152mm of aperture gives you over 140mm?  Not meaning anything to do with the two brands and those type of differences.  Just wondering how much better you feel the views are through the little extra aperture and if substantial for you in any way.  All those folks with 140's are always wondering if the jump to a 152 would be worth it.  Interested to hear your actual experience!!

Edited by BillP, 22 October 2019 - 12:04 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Jon_Doh and rkelley8493 like this

#480 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

Beautiful scope!!  Love the Saturn V next to it waytogo.gif

I see you also have the APM 140.  Curious what advantage you find 152mm of aperture gives you over 140mm?  Not meaning anything to do with the two brands and those type of differences.  Just wondering how much better you feel the views are through the little extra aperture and if substantial for you in any way.  All those folks with 140's are always wondering if the jump to a 152 would be worth it.  Interested to hear your actual experience!!

Hi Bill, thanks.

I haven’t yet used the 152 LZOS, however, I don’t  expect night and day difference.  I do a lot of outreach and may keep the 140 for just that job.  I plan to put the pair side by side on my AZEQ6GT as I have a pair of Baader T2 diagonals and matched pairs of Tak LE.  That’s the only way to give a valid opinion....

• BillP likes this

#481 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

Is anyone using their 152ED with a CGEM or CGX mount? I have a standard G11 but my backyard has gotten so bad with light pollution or maybe its a combination of LP and my eyes, but its getting harder and harder to star hop in my backyard.
I have a machinist friend who has made me an adapter allowing me to use my AVX mount on my heavy G11 tripod, so Id probably have another adapter made for a CGEM Equatorial head also, which would add to the stability of the mount.
I just wonder if these are strong enough to hold the long refractor without settling issues.
I prefer the CGEM11 vs the CGX because of weight extra weight and cost, but I would only put a C11 and my 152ED on the mount.

Any comments on this?

Thanks..

..Ralph

#482 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Is anyone using their 152ED with a CGEM or CGX mount? I have a standard G11 but my backyard has gotten so bad with light pollution or maybe its a combination of LP and my eyes, but its getting harder and harder to star hop in my backyard.
I have a machinist friend who has made me an adapter allowing me to use my AVX mount on my heavy G11 tripod, so Id probably have another adapter made for a CGEM Equatorial head also, which would add to the stability of the mount.
I just wonder if these are strong enough to hold the long refractor without settling issues.
I prefer the CGEM11 vs the CGX because of weight extra weight and cost, but I would only put a C11 and my 152ED on the mount.

Any comments on this?

Thanks..

..Ralph

I’ve got that scope on a CGEM DX and it’s settle down time is a little too long for me. So I’d say a CGEM will be the same plus some. It will work but you’ll have to be gentle on the focuser.  

#483 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

Any comments on this?

Thanks..

..Ralph

It seems that the heavier the mount the more stable/solid the image. Some of these new mounts are quite interesting as in the combo alt/az gem skywatcher Atlas. They even have features like not loosing the goto tracking lock when de-cluching the motor drive for hand slewing.

That said the pricing is really going up like double and triple even quadruple in the EQ8r.

I have two CGEM-DX mounts and use the 152ED on them. The DX tripod is a real plus in stability.

I have made some modifications to one of the CGEM-DX mounts. First it has been "Hypertuned " with kit for smoother tracking.

Second a height extender 12 inch tube (made-cut from an expired scuba tank) was added between the tripod and tripod head adapter. Minor machining on the cut tube with inside of bottom cut to fit tripod base and outside top end of tube machined to take the base reciever of the CGEM head, then sent to the anodizer - black.

Next lengthened the 3 spreaders to allow a wider footprint of the tripod legs. This requires a milled slot in one end of each spreader so that the whole tripod will close completely with the 2 inch longer spreaders.

Polar alignment with the CGEM's is a bit of a pain because the base locks down with the center rod from below. The push-loosen-push in the azimuth adjustment is jerky to place Polaris exactly in it's correct position and then tightening the center lock down rod often skewers it out a bit. Some people put a teflon cut sheet between the head and base with good results, but I choose to get an Starzonia "Landing Pad" which is the perfect solution (but $$$). It works great. And with the use of a Polemaster device/camera the polar alignment is now easy and super accurate.

I like the CGEM-DX, especially when you can get one in the classifieds for $1000 already hypertuned (plus shipping) . The CGEM series is very common and well used in the hobby. There are better, but you would be looking a 4 times the cost.

The massive DX tripod base is a real plus. Not a bad choice for the 152ed.

If you get a goto mount , the purchase of an illuminated reticle cross hair eyepiece is a must to perform with goto star alignment (2 inch Arcturus from ccts). The process is fairly simple once you have done it a few times. Even easier with a gps module plugged into the aux port. Puts in your lat/long, date and time in for you in the setup. Eliminates errors in entry. Saves me a lot of grief with my fumble fingers on the key pad controller.

So the CGEM-DX works, but if you want to get one of those Atlas EQ8r mounts that would be even better. Just a bit out of my price range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Bomber Bob likes this

#484 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the inputs. Maybe a CGX would be a better choice for me. I do like the starsense option.

...Ralph

#485 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the inputs. Maybe a CGX would be a better choice for me. I do like the starsense option.

...Ralph

I tried the Starsense but prefered the standard goto alignment sequence. The hand controller which came with the Starsense i tried was not as easy to read. The display wasn't quite as crisp as the standard cgem unit. The standard alignment process is quite simple using a 3 star centering sequence. Polar alignment and the goto alignment are different processes. You need to get the mount head properly polar aligned first before you attempt to do the goto star alignment. I am a big fan of the Polemaster device. It really does a superior job. You can get one preowned in the classifieds section for $200. And a preowned Celestron GPS for under $100. Both are worth it in convenience and less frustration. Again the DX tripod is worth it even if you put something different on it.

#486 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:27 PM

Yea, no likely,but I get your sarcasm.  Enjoy your wonderful scope.  I almost got a APM 6" refractor.  I still want one and may get one some day.

Yea exactly.  Enjoy the fine scopes. I doubt you will see much difference.  If I were to guess, a tiny bit more detail in the 152, but much ergonomically easier to use the 140. 

Yes, we do offer 150mm achromatic doublets in F/8, F10, F15 and 150mm F/5 R50, and 150mm F/8 R35. The plan is offer 152mm F7 APO doublet as well at around $1900 per unit. 

• Bomber Bob and j.gardavsky like this

#487 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

The plan is offer 152mm F7 APO doublet as well at around $1900 per unit. 

That would be impressive if you can pull it off!waytogo.gif

#488 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

Gonna be hard to do at F/7. Rather see a F/10 at that price.

• drd715 likes this

#489 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

Gonna be hard to do at F/7. Rather see a F/10 at that price.

IMO that would cut the market dramatically as a mid-size mount (EQ6) is no longer applicable.

• Kunama likes this

#490 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Any comments on this?

Thanks..

..Ralph

Ralph,

Have you considered the Losmandy Gemini 2 GoTo system?  At $1600 it seems like a better deal than another heavy mount.  The Losmandy site has all the details.

Personally, I use the setting circles on my G-11, even though I have the JMI NGC Max push-to system.  With my 32 mm UO MK80 Konig, I get a 2.2 degree field at 37.5 X, wide enough to get objects somewhere in the field and enough magnification to show the true nature of the object.  Of course, fairly accurate polar alignment is required with circles.

Dom Q.

#491 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

I've considered the digital setting circles by Astrodevices, but the new Celestron mounts are so easy to use its very hard for me to look past them. I use Starsense with a GPS unit on my AVX mount and its so easy to use I just turn it on, initiate auto align, wait about 4 minutes and its ready to go. I don't even have to look up. Accuracy is so good I don't even need a telrad or finder scope.

That's a tough act to follow especially because its so accurate and easy to use.

...Ralph

Ralph,

Have you considered the Losmandy Gemini 2 GoTo system?  At $1600 it seems like a better deal than another heavy mount.  The Losmandy site has all the details.

Personally, I use the setting circles on my G-11, even though I have the JMI NGC Max push-to system.  With my 32 mm UO MK80 Konig, I get a 2.2 degree field at 37.5 X, wide enough to get objects somewhere in the field and enough magnification to show the true nature of the object.  Of course, fairly accurate polar alignment is required with circles.

Dom Q.

#492 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

IMO that would cut the market dramatically as a mid-size mount (EQ6) is no longer applicable.

True on that. I was just more a fan of slower scopes.

#493 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:31 AM

Here’s one for you APM 152ED owners, did you know that your scopes have Russian OK4 LZOS doublet optics, that is,

.... this guy will say anything to fool people into buying from him...

https://www.astronom...-tube-assembly/

The proprietor of that business once told me face to face that he designed all the Takahashi refractor optics as well as many Stellarvue optics..... 

Edit: the vendor has now removed the false claims after some prompting.....

Edited by Kunama, 17 November 2019 - 10:03 PM.

• kenkolen likes this

#494 Greg77

Greg77

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, EU

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

APM 152ED with Russian OK4 LZOS doublet optics? foreheadslap.gif Eyecrazy.gif 

• Kunama likes this

#495 vilchez

vilchez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 AM

3D Printer and:

APM 152 ED-APO f/7.9 Nº246

NTFVI2s.jpg

APM 140 ED-APO f/8.6 

V6bxgP8.jpg

APM 100 APO f/12

zDMHMxl.jpg

APM 80 SUPER-APO f/15

0JaUwzo.jpg

TQMqHDl.jpg

qR3IjOM.jpg

• vkhastro1, daquad, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#496 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Here’s one for you APM 152ED owners, did you know that your scopes have Russian OK4 LZOS doublet optics, that is,

.... this guy will say anything to fool people into buying from him...

https://www.astronom...-tube-assembly/

The proprietor of that business once told me face to face that he designed all the Takahashi refractor optics as well as many Stellarvue optics.....

Edit: the vendor has now removed the false claims after some prompting.....

Price is $4555 aud times .68, aprox $3100 usd (in the ballpark, not on sale). APM does make a 152mm1200 with the LZOS lens. An easily made mistake to confuse the two models. Can't comment on other references as I have no knowledge or connection to the vendor, just clarifying some numbers.

#497 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

vilchez,  those are great aperture stops.  I made some for my APM, but they are simple cardboard. 

DSCN1782.JPG

DSCN1783.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#498 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 AM

3D Printer and:

APM 152 ED-APO f/7.9 Nº246
NTFVI2s.jpg

APM 140 ED-APO f/8.6
V6bxgP8.jpg

APM 100 APO f/12
zDMHMxl.jpg

APM 80 SUPER-APO f/15
0JaUwzo.jpg

TQMqHDl.jpg

qR3IjOM.jpg

Nice idea. If your hole size at the dew sheild end cap is 100mm (as an example) considering the field of view angle, then the objective clear view may a few mm less than the dew cap hole.

For fun you might try a second restrictor inserted inside the dew shield butted up against the mini baffle inside the sheild. This may cut out some of the stray unused light from reaching the objective using both the end cap baffle hole and the second baffle further down the dew shield barrel. Possibly it may increase the image contrast. Worth the experimentation. Looking forward to your in use viewing reports. -Dan-

#499 vilchez

vilchez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Nice idea. If your hole size at the dew sheild end cap is 100mm (as an example) considering the field of view angle, then the objective clear view may a few mm less than the dew cap hole.

For fun you might try a second restrictor inserted inside the dew shield butted up against the mini baffle inside the sheild. This may cut out some of the stray unused light from reaching the objective using both the end cap baffle hole and the second baffle further down the dew shield barrel. Possibly it may increase the image contrast. Worth the experimentation. Looking forward to your in use viewing reports. -Dan-

When I use aperture mask, the dew shield will leave it retracted and put on a black eva foam dew shield. I leave the aperture mask closest to the lens.

#500 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:37 PM

When I use aperture mask, the dew shield will leave it retracted and put on a black eva foam dew shield. I leave the aperture mask closest to the lens.

Yes, I see what you mean. It would be interesting though to have aperture masks at both near the objective and at the extended end of the dew sheild. It would certainly lessen the extraneous light getting to the objective. Same as in for example the dew sheild on a 100mm scope being smaller than the dew shield on a 152mm scope. More important in a light polluted city yard than a dark sky sight. Should make for better contrast and darker black background. Another experiment to put on my to do list.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics