•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 152 ED APO club

• Please log in to reply
585 replies to this topic

#576 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

The scope in your link is a VERY DIFFERENT scope - the price difference is a good hint.., 

Best., 

skybsd 

Ironic, the mount they have it on there.  Not really the same league.

#577 chuckscap

chuckscap

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:50 AM

Ah the price on the link was $2799 then I refreshed it omg..   Yeah the APM 152 ED  doublet seems like the way to go.   Sorry about that.

Edited by chuckscap, 02 June 2020 - 05:55 AM.

• JKAstro and Bomber Bob like this

#578 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

Ah the price on the link was $2799 then I refreshed it omg..   Yeah the APM 152 ED  doublet seems like the way to go.   Sorry about that.

It's an amazing scope.  Coming up on my 3rd anniversary with mine, and haven't had a bad view yet.  I bought it primarily for planetary, but it's given me the very best view of M42 & the Trapezium of any of my scopes, including my outstanding Meade 8" F6 Newtonian.

It ain't cheap, but it's worth it.

• JKAstro, SteveG, eros312 and 2 others like this

#579 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:28 AM

The more I use mine, the more I love it. I've recently discovered, that a UV/IR filter is enough energy rejection to protect my Quark Chromosphere on it, even during long sessions. I initially didn't think so, so I didn't dare use the big gun for solar observing, but finally couldn't take it any more and took a peek for a few minutes. The views blew my socks clean off. I checked the Quark, but the nosepiece wasn't noticeably warm. I then saw that Daystar mentions that a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the diagonal is enough protection, even on a 6", so now I've tried it for ten to fifteen minutes and it's still not warm to the touch, so now I happily use it for as long as I want. I do cover the scope up during breaks, of course. The views through the Zeiss binoviewer and Quark are absolutely mindblowing. The details far surpass anything I've seen through smaller, dedicated solar scopes, no matter how expensive or double-stacked they are.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 28 June 2020 - 02:28 AM.

• JKAstro, denis0007dl, n2068dd and 2 others like this

#580 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:06 AM

Well I’m using mine today with Zeiss Binos on the moon and Jupiter. It’s up against my Tec MC200/15 for the first time ever. 

Well lets just say in mono view on both scopes the TEC MC200/F15 wins the race but add a Bino to 152mm and it takes it to new levels winning the race against a monoview TEC MC200/f15 on this particular night. 

Edited by HCR32, 28 June 2020 - 07:38 AM.

• JKAstro, Bomber Bob and Tyson M like this

#581 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

I’m intrigued by the APM 152. I have a Tak FC100DL I use for lunar, planetary and doubles. It’s grab n go, is ready to use in a few minutes, and gives incredible views. I’m interested in getting something for DSOs, open clusters, etc. and a 6” ED or Achro might be the ticket. I do not want to stand while looking in an eyepiece so reflectors are probably not a good option.

Also, has anyone used the APM with night vision? This is something I also might considerin the future. 

#582 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:30 PM

The more I use mine, the more I love it. I've recently discovered, that a UV/IR filter is enough energy rejection to protect my Quark Chromosphere on it, even during long sessions. I initially didn't think so, so I didn't dare use the big gun for solar observing, but finally couldn't take it any more and took a peek for a few minutes. The views blew my socks clean off. I checked the Quark, but the nosepiece wasn't noticeably warm. I then saw that Daystar mentions that a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the diagonal is enough protection, even on a 6", so now I've tried it for ten to fifteen minutes and it's still not warm to the touch, so now I happily use it for as long as I want. I do cover the scope up during breaks, of course. The views through the Zeiss binoviewer and Quark are absolutely mindblowing. The details far surpass anything I've seen through smaller, dedicated solar scopes, no matter how expensive or double-stacked they are.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thomas - what mount do you us with the 152?

#583 fate187

fate187

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:59 PM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

The Quark has the 4.1 x barlow in it. Do you use additional OCAs to achieve focus with the bino? And what eyepieces? I am already having a hard time with 740mm focal length combined with 25mm eyepiece.

#584 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:38 AM

I’m intrigued by the APM 152. I have a Tak FC100DL I use for lunar, planetary and doubles. It’s grab n go, is ready to use in a few minutes, and gives incredible views. I’m interested in getting something for DSOs, open clusters, etc. and a 6” ED or Achro might be the ticket. I do not want to stand while looking in an eyepiece so reflectors are probably not a good option.

Also, has anyone used the APM with night vision? This is something I also might considerin the future. 

For those coming late to the party, I may be worthwhile knowing that APM decided to discontinue the 152. The currently available scopes are the last ones - unless, of course, APM changes their minds.

Emil

#585 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

Thomas - what mount do you us with the 152?

A Vixen Saturn on a Baader Hardwood tripod. Both discontinued years (decades!) ago.  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 29 June 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• n2068dd likes this

#586 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

The Quark has the 4.1 x barlow in it. Do you use additional OCAs to achieve focus with the bino? And what eyepieces? I am already having a hard time with 740mm focal length combined with 25mm eyepiece.

No additional OCAs necessary to reach focus with the binoviewer, as the internal barlow/Powermate/teleextender/watchamacallit takes care of that. I use a pair of 40mm GSO plössls and combination gives something like ~130-140-ish power. The resolution is absolutely breathtaking, if the seeing is good enough. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jan Owen and fate187 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics