•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 152 ED APO club

• Please log in to reply
738 replies to this topic

#726 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:58 AM

Too late! It’s on its way from Germany. 

Are you folks using a baader click lock (if one exists for APM) on the focuser end for heavy binos  or are you happy with the default arrangement?

I changed the APM twist lock (or whatever they call it) for a Baader Clicklock, which I feel is a vast improvement. My scope has the 3.7" focuser, and I've also changed to a Baader M84/M68 adapter, instead of the original M84/M63 adapter. The Baader adapter is shorter, and I now run a 60mm long M68 extension tube between the M84/68 adapter and the Clicklock, so I don't have to rack the focuser all the way out. I find the Baader adapters much better mechanically and more elegant cosmetically. When using my Zeiss binoviewer, I use an M68/T2 adapter and Baader Quick-change adapter to securely thread the T2 prism onto the focuser. The binoviewer can never accidentally drop out of the focuser, even if the quick-change adapter loosens. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark 

• Bomber Bob and RedzoneMN like this

#727 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:04 AM

Thank you. Just what I was looking for. 

is this the adapter? https://www.baader-p...68-(zeiss).html

so I remove the twist lock, put on the M84/ M68, then the extension tube if need be, and then the baader clicklock?

is there a particular version of the clicklock?

thank you 

Edited by RedzoneMN, 19 February 2021 - 07:08 AM.

• ASTERON likes this

#728 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

Thank you. Just what I was looking for. 

is this the adapter? https://www.baader-p...68-(zeiss).html

so I remove the twist lock, put on the M84/ M68, then the extension tube if need be, and then the baader clicklock?

is there a particular version of the clicklock?

thank you 

I'VE MADE A CRITICAL ERROR! SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!

The adapter is M82/M68, *NOT* M84!!!

This is the correct one: https://www.baader-p...ter-m82m68.html

Choose a Clicklock with M68x1 (Zeiss) threads to go with it: https://www.baader-p...ece-clamps.html

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• RedzoneMN likes this

#729 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

I'VE MADE A CRITICAL ERROR! SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!

The adapter is M82/M68, *NOT* M84!!!

This is the correct one: https://www.baader-p...ter-m82m68.html

Choose a Clicklock with M68x1 (Zeiss) threads to go with it: https://www.baader-p...ece-clamps.html

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Hi Thomas,

Can you specify the type and length of the extension tube you are using ?

Do you get it also from Baader ?

And best, if you have time, can you post a photo of all the parts assembled on your scope with the Bino so it is clear which part goes where ?help.gif

I want to do the same mod but I need to see if it will work with my Denkmeyer Bino

Thank you,hmm.gif

Lihu

#730 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

Hi Thomas,

Can you specify the type and length of the extension tube you are using ?

Do you get it also from Baader ?

And best, if you have time, can you post a photo of all the parts assembled on your scope with the Bino so it is clear which part goes where ?help.gif

I want to do the same mod but I need to see if it will work with my Denkmeyer Bino

Thank you,hmm.gif

Lihu

I use a 60mm long Baader M68 extension tube. https://www.baader-p...0.html?___SID=U

I can adapt my binoviewers to the APM in several ways, but the one I use most often is this one, starting from the rotator on the 3.7" focuser, which has M82 threads:

M82/M68 adapter -> M68/T2 adapter -> T2 Quick change coupler -> T2 prism diagonal -> T2 Quick change coupler -> binoviewer. 

I could potentially leave out the T2 Quick coupler between the M68/T2 adapter and the prism, since the scope has a rotator. 

If you want to use a Denkmeier bino, which, I believe, has a 2" diagonal built in, then you just want to use a 2" Clicklock on the focuser and that's it. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#731 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Thomas,

That's very useful.

My Denkmeyer does not have a diagonal but has the X Magnification changer built in and has a particularly long light path  because it is the old prismatic type  (which sometimes necessitates use of the OCS). I think I will not have to use the extension.

but its good to know what you did.

Clear Skies,

Lihu

#732 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

I use a 60mm long Baader M68 extension tube. https://www.baader-p...0.html?___SID=U

I can adapt my binoviewers to the APM in several ways, but the one I use most often is this one, starting from the rotator on the 3.7" focuser, which has M82 threads:

M82/M68 adapter -> M68/T2 adapter -> T2 Quick change coupler -> T2 prism diagonal -> T2 Quick change coupler -> binoviewer. 

I could potentially leave out the T2 Quick coupler between the M68/T2 adapter and the prism, since the scope has a rotator. 

If you want to use a Denkmeier bino, which, I believe, has a 2" diagonal built in, then you just want to use a 2" Clicklock on the focuser and that's it. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Thanks Thomas,

That's very useful.

My Denkmeyer does not have a diagonal but has the X Magnification changer built in and has a particularly long light path  because it is the old prismatic type  (which sometimes necessitates use of the OCS). I think I will not have to use the extension.

but its good to know what you did.

Clear Skies,

Lihu

Do you have to use the OCS to come to focus with the Denk in the APM 152?

#733 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:23 AM

Do you have to use the OCS to come to focus with the Denk in the APM 152?

Hi RedzoneMN,

At the time I did the observation, I has the OCS attached to the Denkmeyer and it worked with the APM 152 so I did not bother checking without it.

Now that I want to use the Baader Clicklock and Zeiss quick attach I will have to test it without the OCS.  I will check and post here as soon as the weather allows.

• Astrojensen and RedzoneMN like this

#734 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:42 AM

By the way,

The Denkmeyer bino I have is quite heavy  which is fine with the APM 152 yard canon. however with some of my other scopes its a pain in the butt ( ballance wise).

What I really like about the Denk is the magnification change slider which gives me the opportunity to change magnification without changing eyepieces.

I was wondering if I should get a Baader bino or even better one of Denis's modified Zeiss mirror based bino's.

Has anyone ever directly compare the Baader or Zeiss ( Denis made) against the Denk ( the older version before the Denk II) on the same scope and magnification?

If the Zeiss significantly improves the contrast and reduce light scatter I may be willing to invest in the switch and sacrifice the X2 magnification slider, but it has to be a significant visual improvement ( it is quite expensive to buy the Zeiss).

So did anybody ever do such a comparison of Zeiss Vs. Baader Vs. Denk  ??? hmm.gif

#735 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:45 AM

Actually the Levatic Zeiss is cheaper than the new Binotron + accessories. 

I have the new Binotron and I love the power switch. 

Edited by RedzoneMN, 22 February 2021 - 03:47 AM.

#736 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:18 AM

Actually the Levatic Zeiss is cheaper than the new Binotron + accessories. 

I have the new Binotron and I love the power switch. 

Yes, but my Denk is an older version Denk-I, which I bought used so It did not cost much.

So, the question remains, which is better optically, Old denk-I vs. Levatic Zeiss ?

#737 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:42 AM

So, the question remains, which is better optically, Old denk-I vs. Levatic Zeiss ?

I have no idea, but the Zeiss I bought from Denis is superb. Extremely, over-the-top superb mechanics and optics. Can't find faults in it. Lunar views at 200x in the 152mm APM are clinically sharp and clean. It's honestly hard to see how it could possibly get better. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#738 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:49 AM

I have no idea, but the Zeiss I bought from Denis is superb. Extremely, over-the-top superb mechanics and optics. Can't find faults in it. Lunar views at 200x in the 152mm APM are clinically sharp and clean. It's honestly hard to see how it could possibly get better. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Hi Thomas,

Which model did you get from Denis ?

What eyepieces do you use with it ?

#739 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:15 AM

Hi Thomas,

Which model did you get from Denis ?

What eyepieces do you use with it ?

It's an older Zeiss binoviewer, model 47 30 12 - 9902. I use a large variety of eyepieces with it. In the APM, I mainly use orthos for lunar-planetary viewing. At lower power, I use 25mm Zeiss OPMI eyepieces, then switch to 18mm, 12.5mm and 9mm Kokusai Kohki volcano-top orthos or 6mm Baader Classic Orthos. I have an empty spot in the 7 - 8mm range that I fill with a 7mm 1.25" KK ortho plus a 7mm 0.965" KK ortho in a 1.25" adapter. It works, but is a little cumbersome. 

I also have a range of Baader GPCs to play with, but on the APM 152 ED, I find that I get better results without them, due to the lens being somewhat undercorrected. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Corcaroli78 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics