•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 152 ED APO club

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#76 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Here's the new 152 and me.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB_IMG_1513991681646.jpg

• SteveG, Jeff B, daquad and 10 others like this

#77 Aperture Mask

Aperture Mask

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Can you use a 3mm eyepiece on the planets with a 2x barlow? 

Edited by Aperture Mask, 22 December 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#78 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:05 PM

Must be an epidemic as I have purchased a 152ED with 3.7 inch focuser. Ordered the 21st, UPS says will deliver the 27th. Amazingly fast.
  • Eric H and Bomber Bob like this

#79 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

#80 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Can you use a 3mm eyepiece on the planets with a 2x barlow? 

Lol, don't know, cloudy nights around here.

#81 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

Interesting side scope, is it an auto guider? How is it mounted? What is the guider? I'm looking into an auto guider setup myself for first time astrophotography. Also planning to top mount a 90mm on top rail using an extra ring near back end of tube. A 3 point attachment along the top line. In addition a Telrad on the tube.

#82 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Interesting side scope, is it an auto guider? How is it mounted? What is the guider? I'm looking into an auto guider setup myself for first time astrophotography. Also planning to top mount a 90mm on top rail using an extra ring near back end of tube. A 3 point attachment along the top line. In addition a Telrad on the tube.

That's my widefield imaging scope, a SV70T with a fuji xpro 1 camera attached. Held together with ADM side by side saddle. I use a mini guide scope, 30mm and qhy5 series for autoguiding. Mounts to finder bracket.

Edited by Eric H, 22 December 2017 - 11:08 PM.

#83 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

If that's a G11 then that is exactly the scope/mount combo I'm considering! I might have to ask if I can visit you this coming summer. You should check out our Pixiland Star Party over in Goldendale if you haven't already. I go every spring. It's just 10 to 20 of us, really nice folks, and the site is incredible.

• Eric H likes this

#84 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Anyone try one on an AVX mount? I am kinda-sorta thinking about one (although it would be reaaaaaally expensive for me) but it would have to work on an AVX. My astronomy-gear fund would take a long time to grow back enough to buy a CGEM or something.

#85 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

That's my widefield imaging scope, a SV70T with a fuji xpro 1 camera attached. Held together with ADM side by side saddle. I use a mini guide scope, 30mm and qhy5 series for autoguiding. Mounts to finder bracket.

Test I was checking out the why mini as well as other options. Trying to find a good system that works for a reasonable $ the why is simple enough and compact, maybe could be used for planetary also. Are you happy with it?

#86 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Lovely word predictor. Yes, not test qhy not why

#87 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

If that's a G11 then that is exactly the scope/mount combo I'm considering! I might have to ask if I can visit you this coming summer. You should check out our Pixiland Star Party over in Goldendale if you haven't already. I go every spring. It's just 10 to 20 of us, really nice folks, and the site is incredible.

It is Steve. You are absolutely welcome to come by and yes, it's a G-11. Cool, I'll check out the Pixiland. Thanks.

• SteveG likes this

#88 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

Test I was checking out the why mini as well as other options. Trying to find a good system that works for a reasonable $ the why is simple enough and compact, maybe could be used for planetary also. Are you happy with it?

Yeah, It seems to work really well. I'm just learning the AP thing but I like the mini scope, its light, easy to use and seems to work as advertised.

#89 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

Anyone try one on an AVX mount? I am kinda-sorta thinking about one (although it would be reaaaaaally expensive for me) but it would have to work on an AVX. My astronomy-gear fund would take a long time to grow back enough to buy a CGEM or something.

Define, "work." ;)

#90 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:42 AM

Define, "work." wink.gif

Acceptable for visual use at high power given normal to low standards.

#91 AlphaGJohn

AlphaGJohn

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:04 AM

Mitrovarr,

I would not expect the scope to be workable on an AVX. I have an iOptron iEQ45 (half again as large specified capacity as the AVX) with a TPI spreader, which adds considerable rigidity, and it handles my Lunt-branded APM 152/1200 adequately--but not fantastically. It would be more pleasant to use with a motorized focuser. I think you'd experience a lot of jitter and very substantial vibration on the AVX. I wouldn't want to discourage your buying an APM scope, but I think the 152/1200 is too big for that mount and you'd ultimately be happier with a smaller scope.

Although the AVX is rated at 30 pounds and the 152 weighs less than that, it represents a long moment arm and the weight is concentrated at either end so you need a solid mount to hold it. I'd be interested in others' opinions, but I don't think it would give acceptable performance.

John

#92 watchever

watchever

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

I had to sell my AZEQ5 and go for AZEQ6,not necessarily for weight but mainly for length which is harder to balance.
  • drd715 likes this

#93 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

Define, "work." wink.gif

I would think the AVX should be fine for visual use.  I've been running my modded C6R, which is close to the same weight as the APM, on a CG-5 mount for the last 5-6 years, and for visual it works well.  I did have to add the Orion 16" Pier Extension to keep the focuser from hitting the tripod legs during slews; the extension also adds some strength, a bit more stability, and an additional 10lb of weight to lower the center of gravity of the mount.

#94 rrice

rrice

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hopefully, my new APM 152 ed APO will be shipped on 12/29.

Should be a great scope on our CGE PRO, in the observatory at 6800 ft. Elevation 

• Eric H likes this

#95 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

I find this scope to be a really good deal.   

A rule of thumb for me in comparing prices is to scale the apertures by the cube of their ratios as cubic measures are measures of volume, or, in this type of comparison, the volume of material used to produce the scope.  This type of price scaling seems to work fairly well.   For example, apply it to the TEC and CFF lines of scopes.

Now, if I scale the APM152ED against the SW 120ED, that's a ratio of 1.27.  The cube of that number is 2.03.

Now I take the current sale price of the SW120ED I see of ~$1550 USD and multiply it by 2.03 and I get.......$3150.   This is close to the current sale price of the APM 152ED.  The SW is considered by many to be a bargain so I conclude that the APM 152ED is as well. 

True the APM has FPL-51 instead of FPL-53 like the SW but it's still a bargain in my book.  

It's interesting to scale the weights for both in the same way too.

Enjoy your scopes!!

Jeff

#96 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

I find this scope to be a really good deal.   

A rule of thumb for me in comparing prices is to scale the apertures by the cube of their ratios as cubic measures are measures of volume, or, in this type of comparison, the volume of material used to produce the scope.  This type of price scaling seems to work fairly well.   For example, apply it to the TEC and CFF lines of scopes.

Now, if I scale the APM152ED against the SW 120ED, that's a ratio of 1.27.  The cube of that number is 2.03.

Now I take the current sale price of the SW120ED I see of ~$1550 USD and multiply it by 2.03 and I get.......$3150.   This is close to the current sale price of the APM 152ED.  The SW is considered by many to be a bargain so I conclude that the APM 152ED is as well. 

True the APM has FPL-51 instead of FPL-53 like the SW but it's still a bargain in my book.  

It's interesting to scale the weights for both in the same way too.

Enjoy your scopes!!

Jeff

One must also take into consideration the mechanics of each scope. The APM is very nicely put together. It kinda says premium scope when you look at it. The focuser rotates,and is much better than the stock SW120 focuser, the case is nicer, the dew shield is better, the tube rings are nicer, etc.

I loved my SW120, color correction was pretty darn good, pointed at the Moon with 152 the other evening...no funny color showing!

• doctordub, Jeff B and Bomber Bob like this

#97 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Define, "work." wink.gif

Normal standards, I would say, no, an AVX isn't up to the job. Low standards, yes.

• mogur likes this

#98 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

Define, "work." wink.gif
Normal standards, I would say, no, an AVX isn't up to the job. Low standards, yes.
Better economy mount would be CGEM-DX (heavy legs) or Atlas variant.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • mogur and Peter Besenbruch like this

#99 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

I thought about it more... and more... and decided I probably am not comfortable spending that much (lowest price I can see is just under $3k). Not when I don't know if I can mount it.

Maybe someday.

Anyways, I think the bulk might have practicality problems. It might not be easier to haul out on the balcony than the 12" dob, and I'm not sure I could get the 12" dob and it together in the car at the same time (which would make every star party a painful choice).

#100 mikona

mikona

Ranger 4

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

What an amazing set up!  How tall are you???  Do you find you are having to view in uncomfortable position when viewing near zenith?  While I am not sure which 6" APO I will get, I do know that one will come sometime in the future!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics