•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OK: opinion time, Paradigm Dual-ED users

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Every EP series seems to have a particular one, that is, a certain focal length,

that is particularly loved.

With this in mind, I ask, of the experienced:  what is your favorite

model of the make "Paradigm Dual-ED"?

(opinions on clones accepted, if there are some...)

If you only have one and love it....that counts too.

Edited by MartinPond, 20 November 2017 - 11:16 AM.

• aeajr and lylver like this

#2 bvillebob

bvillebob

Viking 1

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

I've only got the 15mm, but I used a pair in a binoviewer for years and love them.  I upgraded to a pair of ES 82 degree 14mm and while the ES are a little better, the difference isn't huge.

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

I use the 12mm more than any other. It provides a good magnification for planetary viewing with my scope and local conditions.

• drneilmb likes this

#4 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

I only have the 5mm. Its only been used a few times due to the higher mag it produces and not so good seeing every time it seems I want to use it. (Murphy's Law I guess) So far though I have no complaints and I am going to order the 18mm and 25mm for sure and maybe the 12mm. If I like those I'll finish out the set.

#5 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

The 15 and 8 are both used quite a bit and on most occasions give the best views... but when the sky is right, my 5 is da bomb. When I did first light on my 10 inch f/5 ATM scope, Saturn was the first target, the sky was right and I walked the eyepieces up till I put the 5 in... it was, to say the least, an OMG moment... the Cassini division was as close to perfect as I could ask for, I could discern surface detail as distinct cloud banding. I was so engrossed, I forgot to look for any of the moons, but observed them on a later session with the 5. Sometimes though, the 5 is just too much for the conditions... I like these well enough that I will likely fill out the line soon...

I know that the Paradigm is an "economical" eyepiece line, but I have been extremely happy with mine. Good bang for buck! If you only get one, I would recommend the 8. It's enough to get some magnification when you want it and not so much that under poor seeing that it's useless.

Of course, YMMV...

Clear DARK skies!

CB

• aeajr and Joe1950 like this

#6 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

I only have the 12mm Paradigm and love it.

• aeajr, Darph Jimbo, drneilmb and 1 other like this

#7 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• Loc: Decorah, IA, USA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Another vote for the 12mm as my only one. I'm considering a 5mm for really high power, but I use that rarely enough that I haven't yet pulled the trigger. Of course, if someone wants to get rid of one, send me a PM and we can make a deal ;)

• aeajr likes this

#8 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Geneva but in France

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hello, only to say I am interested by your feedback on them for short f/D entry level refractor as an alternative for the Super-Plössl packaged with them.

Field curvature is a problem with those scope.

• aeajr likes this

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Not looking for eyepieces but always looking for ones that get good reviews that I can recommend.  I have read mostly positive reviews of this line.  Good to know. 

• Darph Jimbo likes this

#10 Sonomajfk

Sonomajfk

Mariner 2

• Loc: northern CA, USA

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

I have the 25, 15, 8, and 5 Paradigms... these are my everyday eyepieces that I use all the time.  They are good performers at a price I can afford.  My personal favorite is the 8mm, and I probably use it the most of all of them.

--John.

• paul hart, SeaBee1 and aeajr like this

#11 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I've owned most of the Paradigms off and on, and I really liked the 12mm. I may end up picking up a set of them for travel eventually. I always recommend the Paradigms over any Plossl on the market. This is one of those lines of eyepieces that are just plain good, not just "good for the money."

• Sarkikos, george tatsis, dpastern and 5 others like this

#12 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

I've owned most of the Paradigms off and on, and I really liked the 12mm. I may end up picking up a set of them for travel eventually. I always recommend the Paradigms over any Plossl on the market. This is one of those lines of eyepieces that are just plain good, not just "good for the money."

Very well said Doug waytogo.gif . This "good for the money" term has always sounded derogatory to me, not just for the Paradigms, but for other lines as well.

George

• aeajr, Allanbarth1 and Ohmless like this

#13 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Use the 8mm most, although I seem to not take the 12mm out and usually end up wishing I had thrown it in. I think I need an additional 12mm. I also use the eyepieces a lot in a short scope so 8mm is not high magnification. The 5mm, 8mm and 25mm are the standard half set I take out in the scopes bags of bits.

Bit wary of the term "clones". Barsta make the eyepiece and they simply brand it to whatever is required. Some are Paradigms, some BST Starguider, I have BST Explorer, TS have them branded TS NED, Olivon have their name on them. One I have is simply ED2, as in 2 bits of ED glass in it. I forget what Agena have on theirs. At a guess they exist under other names.

Edited by sg6, 20 November 2017 - 04:33 PM.

• aeajr likes this

#14 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

As I said (a lot) earlier, I owned the 12, 18, and 25mm. I still have the 12mm. Field curvature and edge astigmatism dogged the 18 and 25mm. The 12mm is simply a good eyepiece.

• CollinofAlabama and aeajr like this

#15 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

I'm centering in on the 12...for multiple FL use..

the FL is just high enough to nose-Barlow to 8mm,

and Barlow to 6mm or 4mm. 

• aeajr and nicoledoula like this

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

I think you can find lab tests for every one on the Russian forums.

The CN poster, Ernest, has tested them all for many factors, including spot size on axis and off axis.

See: http://astro-talks.r...php?f=32&t=1557  for measurements of the 5 & 8mm.

Lots of threads like this one:

https://www.cloudyni...radigm-dual-ed/

Remember, these are Barsta manufactured eyepieces.

You might find some info here by looking: http://translate.goo.../forum/&act=url

Or here: http://astro-talks.r...wforum.php?f=32

Edited by Starman1, 20 November 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• EuropaWill, aeajr and Allanbarth1 like this

#17 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

The CN poster, Ernest, has tested them all for many factors, including spot size on axis and off axis.

I'm not familiar with the Russian forums. Where are they located?

#18 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

I can see analysis of the shorter FLs...in the 5mm,

it's interesting to see that the variance across the field at F/4 is well-controlled

but is always multiples of the Airy disk,

and at F/10, the spot is all-Airy sized all the way across.

#19 barbie

barbie

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

I have the 15, 12,8,5 mm Agena Starguider Dual ED brand and they have given me my best views of the planets in 30 years.

• george tatsis, Sonomajfk and aeajr like this

#20 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

My 3.2 and 15mm Paradigms arrived yesterday, haven't had a chance (and won't until after Christmas) to test them yet.   

#21 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

I recently sold my 18mm Paradigm and 3.2mm Agena Dual ED version.  These are the only eyepieces of this type I've used.  They are really good eyepieces, but should have gotten different focal lengths for my scopes.  The 3.2mm version worked great in my Starblast 4.5 at 140x for viewing moon craters.  Most of the time it was too much magnification for local sky conditions around here.  The 25mm would have been a better choice for me than the 18mm.  But, I picked these up used at a good price and gave them a try.  If I didn't already have Siebert SS3s in the 5mm and 8mm range, I'd probably buy Paradigms.  

• aeajr likes this

#22 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'm not familiar with the Russian forums. Where are they located?

See the links I posted in post #16.

#23 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Great to see so many positive reports on an eyepiece line in one place, especially one at a very reasonable price.

I don't have them so I hope you don't mind my asking a question.

I use Plossls at my reference eyepiece when I am comparing eyepieces.   Pretty much everyone has or had Plossls at one time.  I consider them to be quite good at a very moderate price.

A clear advantage to these seems to be excellent eye relief at the shorter focal lengths.  That is a big plus.

AFOV for these is about 15% wider than the typical Plossl.   Is the actual image quality comparable or significantly better than the typical Plossl?   Would someone upgrading from brand name Plossls such as Celestron, Orion, Meade, see a significant difference in the view at the same focal length, or just a little wider view?   

Edited by aeajr, 21 November 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#24 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Great to see so many positive reports on an eyepiece line in one place.

AFOV is about 15% wider than the typical Plossl.   Is the actual image quality signifantly better than the typical Plossl?  In general I find brand named Plossls to be pretty good.   Would someone upgrading from brand name Plossls such as Celestron, Orion, Meade, see a significant difference in the view at the same focal length, or just a little wider view?   

What I am asking is, while $60 is a very reasonable price for an eyepiece that seems to get such good reviews, are they significantly better than Plossls or just 15% wider?    

They are very sharp views, and 15% wider. The real advantage is they don't have the short eye relief that Plossls do, particularly in the short focal lengths.

• aeajr and Ohmless like this

#25 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Great to see so many positive reports on an eyepiece line in one place.

AFOV is about 15% wider than the typical Plossl.   Is the actual image quality signifantly better than the typical Plossl?  In general I find brand named Plossls to be pretty good.   Would someone upgrading from brand name Plossls such as Celestron, Orion, Meade, see a significant difference in the view at the same focal length, or just a little wider view?   

What I am asking is, while $60 is a very reasonable price for an eyepiece that seems to get such good reviews, are they significantly better than Plossls or just 15% wider?    

They are very sharp views, and 15% wider. The real advantage is they don't have the short eye relief that Plossls do, particularly in the short focal lengths.

Exactly what I wanted to know and exactly what I have been getting from the discussion.  Thanks for responding.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics