•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 Hours on M31

astrophotography beginner dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kissimmee, Florida

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

Alright last one until the next clear skies! Let me know what you think!

30x 390s/1600iso

get.jpg?insecure

Unedited stacked file for download!

https://www.dropbox....31-E-1.TIF?dl=0

• Starman27, skywatcher3000, lbim and 7 others like this

#2 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Nice image that really gets the most out of 80mm. Not too many years ago, a shot like this with an 80mm scope would have been unthinkable.

Just checked closely and couldn't see any evidence of the new nova in M31. Obviously, it wasn't visible yet on Oct 30th when you took the shot. It would have been very faint but just barely visible at (mag 15.5) had you shot this about a week and a half later. Give it another try and see if you can capture this faint new nova before it fades. Threads with finder images on CN.

• SuperJustin likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

Very nice data with modest equipment.  SuperJustin, indeed.  <smile>

Here's a quick processing job in PixInsight.  Not better, just different.  Did a bit of star reduction at the end.

M31_E_1_ABE.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 November 2017 - 11:11 PM.

• G. Hatfield, 17.5Dob, cajusor and 1 other like this

#4 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

Nice image that really gets the most out of 80mm. Not too many years ago, a shot like this with an 80mm scope would have been unthinkable.

Just checked closely and couldn't see any evidence of the new nova in M31. Obviously, it wasn't visible yet on Oct 30th when you took the shot. It would have been very faint but just barely visible at (mag 15.5) had you shot this about a week and a half later. Give it another try and see if you can capture this faint new nova before it fades. Threads with finder images on CN.

Thanks super cool I will try and see what I get!

#5 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Very nice data with modest equipment.  SuperJustin, indeed.  <smile>

Here's a quick processing job in PixInsight.  Not necessarily better, just different.  Did a bit of star reduction at the end.

Beautiful pic! Thanks for sharing!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 AbPho

AbPho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:15 AM

Nice.  Thanks for sharing your data.  I will use it to get some practice in on PixInsight once my computer is back from the shop.  

Was this taken in the city?  With an LPS filter?  If so,  what bortle class are you ?

• SuperJustin likes this

#7 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Nice.  Thanks for sharing your data.  I will use it to get some practice in on PixInsight once my computer is back from the shop.  

Was this taken in the city?  With an LPS filter?  If so,  what bortle class are you ?

No problem. Check out my M42 post I think that data is my best yet! I would say class 4 and no LPS filter stock dslr and no coma correction.. Hilarious signature block btw lol

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

I don't think SuperJustin will mind this.

Here's an Andromeda taken from a Bortle 7 backyard.  No LPS, just about two hours spent on reducing gradients in processing.   Pretty nearly all serious imagers use gradient reduction.  Some use LPS, some don't.  They're not magic, particularly on galaxies.

Note the quality of the imager counts, a whole lot.  That used equipment that, in every regard, was maybe twice the price of SuperJustins.  He's better at this than I am.  <smile>

The key difference between his Bortle 4 skies and my Bortle 7 is the noise in my image.  His is quite clean.  An LPS wouldn't have helped that much, if at all.  About 4 times more total imaging time would have helped.

M31 V5.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 November 2017 - 11:16 AM.

• SuperJustin likes this

#9 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

I don't think SuperJustin will mind this.

Here's an Andromeda taken from a Bortle 7 backyard.  No LPS, just about two hours spent on reducing gradients in processing.   Pretty nearly all serious imagers use gradient reduction.  Some use LPS, some don't.  They're not magic, particularly on galaxies.

Note the quality of the imager counts, a whole lot.  That used equipment that, in every regard, was maybe twice the price of SuperJustins.  He's better at this than I am.  <smile>

Of course I don't mind a huge compliment haha.. what were the sub specs???

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

37X120", ISO 200.  CEM60 mount, SV70T reduced to 335mm (F4.8), Nikon D5500.  Bias and flats, no darks with the low thermal noise camera.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 November 2017 - 11:27 AM.

• SuperJustin likes this

#11 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

37X120", ISO 200.  CEM60 mount, SV70T reduced to 335mm (F4.8), Nikon D5500.  Bias and flats, no darks with the low thermal noise camera.

I'm just a rookie but that seems like pretty impressive results! I wish I would of bought a refurbed D5300 or D5400 same price point as my canon T6. 

#12 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm just a rookie but that seems like pretty impressive results! I wish I would of bought a refurbed D5300 or D5400 same price point as my canon T6. 

Just to be clear, and to point out my praise was not just fluff.  Here's my first image of Andromeda.  No, the camera was not mono.  The details are long forgotten.  The other one took two years of experience for data acquisition, and 3 years experience for processing.

Note to beginners reading this.  I was thrilled with this image.  Do not compare yourself to others when starting out.

allandromeda_small.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 November 2017 - 01:18 PM.

• SuperJustin likes this

#13 AbPho

AbPho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

Isn't this such an awesome hobby! You should have seen my first Andromeda shoot. It was a mind blow moment to find and see it for the first time. Still a great shot Bobzeq25. You should call this image "Andromeda - 1865 Wild West Remix". I have a Joules Verne remixed comet picture.  My first comet. Taken on my second night out with the Star-Adventurer.

Edited by AbPho, 21 November 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#14 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

Isn't this such an awesome hobby! You should have seen my first Andromeda shoot. It was a mind blow moment to find and see it for the first time. Still a great shot Bobzeq25. You should call this image "Andromeda - 1865 Wild West Remix". I have a Joules Verne remixed comet picture.  My first comet. Taken on my second night out with the Star-Adventurer.

I think tech has come very far since most on here began.. to my benefit haha.. I am just thankful I can reproduce what I had imagined going into this with zero experience in photography or astronomy. Awesome hobby indeed!

#15 Meteorseeker

Meteorseeker

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: N. Las Vegas, NV

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

That is an awesome image. All technical aside, great capture and processing. Amazing what you can capture with a DSLR. Nicely done.

#16 George Simon

George Simon

Messenger

• Loc: Commack, NY (Long Island)

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Absolutely awesome data! Here's what I got, using StarTools and GIMP 2.9.6. It perhaps could have used a bit more star reduction, but even as is, it's a top-notch image. Well done!

M31-E-1.jpeg

• SuperJustin likes this

#17 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Absolutely awesome data! Here's what I got, using StarTools and GIMP 2.9.6. It perhaps could have used a bit more star reduction, but even as is, it's a top-notch image. Well done!

attachicon.gifM31-E-1.jpeg

Wow beautiful pic can't believe all that data was in the same image! Thanks for sharing!

#18 AbPho

AbPho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

George,  do you do requests?  I'd be interested to see how my Andromeda turns out in other people's hands. 

#19 George Simon

George Simon

Messenger

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

George,  do you do requests?  I'd be interested to see how my Andromeda turns out in other people's hands. 

I would be happy to have a go at your data (though it might have to wait until the weekend). If it's OK with Justin, you can post a link to your calibrated, unprocessed data to this thread.

• SuperJustin likes this

#20 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

I would be happy to have a go at your data (though it might have to wait until the weekend). If it's OK with Justin, you can post a link to your calibrated, unprocessed data to this thread.

Lets see the data!

#21 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

Here is my shot at it.  Mainly used PI, but PS came in handy for the blown out core. Nice data.

Attached Thumbnails

• m31 final.jpg

• SuperJustin likes this

#22 AbPho

AbPho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

Ok. I just got my computer back. I looked for my Andromeda files. It's a Photoshop stack. So the TIFF is non-linear. Does that make a difference?

#23 George Simon

George Simon

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Ok. I just got my computer back. I looked for my Andromeda files. It's a Photoshop stack. So the TIFF is non-linear. Does that make a difference?

I am afraid that it does make a difference. In order to see fully the potential of your data, processing needs to be done from scratch on an unstretched stack.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#24 AbPho

AbPho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Let ua leave it for now. I will make a new post once I have the proper file format (which won't be anytime soon). Thanks.

#25 Tomvictor

Tomvictor

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: N.59.24.48.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

Again nice data SuperJustin. I see you like the prosessing darker than me. Thanks for uploading for us to try out.

NB. Added some spikes smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M31-RGB-DDP-FF.jpg

• SuperJustin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics