•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" f/6 Newt OTA for $169.15

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Xiando, I'm about to put my TPO 6" f/6 on the ZEQ25 which I noticed you have as well. I'm using the standard tripod which while less robust than the Meade field tripod should conceivable do OK with some careful balancing since it will only be used for visual observing.

• xiando likes this

#27 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Xiando, I'm about to put my TPO 6" f/6 on the ZEQ25 which I noticed you have as well. I'm using the standard tripod which while less robust than the Meade field tripod should conceivable do OK with some careful balancing since it will only be used for visual observing.

That's my plan as well. If I was going to take it out in the country (or camping) for a quick setup I'd probably just use my standard tripod. (Although at home I'll use the field tripod...)

It should be just fine. My imaging setup is ~17lbs and afaik heavier than the F6. Regardless, I believe the ZEQ25 is ok for observing right up to its weight limit and the F6 is much lighter than 25lbs..

Edited by xiando, 20 June 2018 - 07:24 PM.

• ratnamaravind likes this

#28 Heavensboy

Heavensboy

Lift Off

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

My Wife Just ordered a 6in F/6 from OPT for $199 for my birthday.  I wanted this OTA because of all of the good reports from members in this forum. 

I am planning on mounting the OTA on a home made dob mount.  Can wait put this baby through its paces.

Will let you know how this OTA handles.

Clear Skies

Heavensboy

• pstarr and wky46 like this

#29 Heavensboy

Heavensboy

Lift Off

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Arrival of TPO 6in F/6 Update:

1, The OTA arrived Friday Afternoon, its been a crazy busy week so i was not able to open the box and take a look at this new scope for a couple of days.

The shipping took 5 days from California to NH.  The box arrived in great shape but did have some small dings on the outside of the container.

Upon opening up he box i was amazed at how well this baby was packed.  All packing was first rate and all the items inside were individually contained in its own smaller cardboard box, i.e.Rings, finder scope, dove tale adapter and finder scope bracket.  The ota was sealed in a plastic bag protected with a systrofoam end cap on each end of the tube.  The front of the OTA came with a large black end cover. 

2. Assembly of the OTA accessories was very easy and the Box contained all of the needed hardware which also came well packaged.  The only issue with the assembly process was with the allen bolts not properly seating into the dove tale bracket.  The machine finish on the internal threads on the bracket do not allow the allen bolts to properly seat all the way down.  I Will try a using a thread tap tool to fix this  when I have the time.  

3.  Also one of the spider vanes on the bottom is slightly bent to the right side of the tube when looking down at the tube from the front. This does not seem to affect the alignment of the secondary.  The tube is a glossy white of metal construction that is enclosed along the axis with a seam.  The primary mirror mount seems to be of a sold cast and is properly secured to the tube.  There two sets of three screws on the mirror mount one set is for alignment of the primary the second set seems to lock the alignment when completed.

4.  The primary mirror is well mounted and centered in the tube.  The mirror is centered dotted with a small back circle for alignment purpose.  The inside of the

tube is painted a flat black. 

5.  The secondary is approximate 50mm and is secured to a spider stalk with a silicone adhesive  The secondary holder also has three alignment screws for further alignment. 

6.  The focuser is a typical 2inch GSO Chinese focuser with a 1 1/4 adapter.  The rack operates pretty smoothly.  With a 32mm plossel eyepiece installed the focuser lock screws are slightly tempermental when racking the eyepiece into focus. 

7.  The focuser will not allow a 32mm or larger eyepiece to come into focus.  I determined that a two inch extender will be needed to use these wider format

eyepieces.  Contact with OPT confirms this and they do sell the 2 inch extender for $19.95.

8.  After completing the assembly and visual/mechanical assessment I moved onto checking the alignment of the optics.  Using an Antares laser alignment tool

the mirrors were nearly spot on.  Not bad for a scope that survived a 3000 mile journey.

9.  Next came the star test; because is am still working on completing the Dob mount I was not able to fully take advantage of performing a star test on the optics and their quality.  To further frustrate my testing the weather continues to be very difficult.   It has been nearly 100 degrees here most of the week and night skies are horrible with an overcast haze all night long and much turbulence.

I did manage to do some preliminary sweeps of the skies but was not fully able to test the quality of the optics.  The star tests and views were very marginal to poor.

10. I will complete the Dob mount supports for the OTA this week but it looks like the heat wave will be here until the weekend. 

I will provide further updates on how this OTA performs when I can.

In summary this is not a bad little 6inch scope and at an F/6 it is the sweet spot between a wide field F/5 and a planet scope at F/8.  This scope gives you

6 inches 152mm of aperature at a 913mm focal length for looking at the sky.  The scope is light and easy to move and use.  This scope will give the viewer ample ability to look at some serious stellar realestate for a reasonable cost of only $199.   My initial rating for this scope is 4 stars out of 5

Further testing will follow:  Stay tuned.

Clear Skies.

Happy 4th.

Heavensboy

Edited by Heavensboy, 04 July 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#30 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

Heavensboy I'd be really interested in seeing pictures of your homemade dob mount for these OTAs, specially as a "work in progress". It's a very interesting project!

#31 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

I've got the skywatcher 6 inch f5 and the focuser is a average rack and pinion.  optics very good 47mm secondary mirror.

shows plenty on the planets not quite as good as my 115mm premium apo but still impressive

#32 Heavensboy

Heavensboy

Lift Off

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Hi All;

Here is a preliminary assessment of the TPO 6in F/6.  The Optical quality of this little scope is average.  The scope provides nice tack sharp views of the heavens using a 32mm plossel eyepiece in addition the wide field views of the stars are a great show.  On M5 with a 10mm Plossel the open cluster was a dim fuzz ball.

Views of Jupiter were disappointing through a 10mm Plossel views the king of the planets were marginal at best.                                        During times when the sky was semi stable two tannish bands could be seen but not much more.  On a positive note images of the moon through this scope shines the best.  The images of earths closest neighbor are razor sharp using magnification up to 150X.  The image began weaken and break down at around 180X.  I pushed the magnification up to 300x and was still able to see some good details on the craters, and craterlets. 

Will do a more updated assessment of some deep sky objects time permitting.

Clear Skies

Heavensboy

Edited by Heavensboy, 24 July 2018 - 07:12 PM.

• Adun likes this

#33 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

That was the reason I swapped the primary for a Mike Spooner 1/30th wave. With that the views are great.

#34 Ron77

Ron77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

Here's a cheap 6 inch F5 I was thinking of... (I have a 6 inch F5 Discovery Astro-Sital mirror so would be able to swap it if this mirror was not so great). But even just to get the OTA this is a great price too.

https://telescopes.n...e-assembly.html

#35 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Here's a cheap 6 inch F5 I was thinking of... (I have a 6 inch F5 Discovery Astro-Sital mirror so would be able to swap it if this mirror was not so great). But even just to get the OTA this is a great price too.

https://telescopes.n...e-assembly.html

Its not clear if the OTA has a 2" focuser, but if it does not then the utility may be rather limited compared to other offerings.

#36 Ron77

Ron77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

Its not clear if the OTA has a 2" focuser, but if it does not then the utility may be rather limited compared to other offerings.

True!

I bet it's a 1.25.. it kinda looks like it..for me that'd be fine, but for many I know they prefer a 2 inch

#37 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:38 AM

The Celestron VX series with mount on B&H website says the 6” OTA is 27” long and 2” focuser.

Since it’s black and comes packaged with the VX And has the same VX number CELESTRON - Advanced VX 6" Newtonian Telescope (32054-OTA), it may be 2” focuser. 

So it seems almost  the same as the Celestron Omni  XLT, which comes packaged with a eyepiece.

So this May be a nice deal. Compared to the $265.00 current High Point price 

Celestron Omni XLT 150 Reflector OTA - 31057-OTA.

If the shipping is free CELESTRON - 6" NEWTONIAN REFLECTOR OPTICAL TUBE ASSEMBLY would be a nice price.

Larry

• Ron77 likes this

#38 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Here is a preliminary assessment of the TPO 6in F/6.  The Optical quality of this little scope is average.  

Views of Jupiter were disappointing through a 10mm Plossel views the king of the planets were marginal at best. During times when the sky was semi stable two tannish bands could be seen but not much more.

That was the reason I swapped the primary for a Mike Spooner 1/30th wave. With that the views are great.

I wonder how does it compare to the Omni XLT OTA sold at places like HPS. It's a little more expensive (but not much), with Synta mirrors and XLT coatings.

Could anybody who used both give us a comparison of the experience/views?

#39 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

I wonder how does it compare to the Omni XLT OTA sold at places like HPS. It's a little more expensive (but not much), with Synta mirrors and XLT coatings.

As I have learned for the price of these 6” complete ota’s The quality control on the mirrors is not very good.

You may get a good one but you will surely not a get a great one.Most likey you will get one that performs nice on moon, DSO, but if you’re an experienced observer you will see the short comings very quickly.as you  start to use high powers.

A nice configured mirror would cost several times the cost of scope.

So play the roulette game with mirrors.

I have one and like it optics fun, and great for public outreach. If you are a serious observer of planets you may be disappointed. That has been my experience. And I am no expert by any means.

For the money $179.00 I don’t think you could go wrong. And upgrades may happen or not.

Larry

Edited by Far-Out, 30 July 2018 - 04:56 PM.

• Ron77 likes this

#40 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

I used to own the xlt150 newt before this and didn’t like it. The focuser was iffy, the sweet spot was tricky. The F/6 of the TPO is much better.

Only thing that’s better about the 6” f/5 is the shorter and slightly lighter tube. That said, my old porta mount still struggled with it even on a robust oberwerk tripod. A mirror swap wouldn’t have been as effective since focus snap would still be tough with the stock focuser.

Last night the seeing was spectacular and I had Saturn at 350x and my 6” f/6 spooner mirror was singing. The individual bands were openly visible on Saturn with the ring separation so clear. I swung the OTA to a few doubles and the views were refractor like.

• astroneil, Far-Out, Ron77 and 1 other like this

#41 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

I used to own the xlt150 newt before this and didn’t like it. The focuser was iffy, the sweet spot was tricky. The F/6 of the TPO is much better.

Only thing that’s better about the 6” f/5 is the shorter and slightly lighter tube. That said, my old porta mount still struggled with it even on a robust oberwerk tripod. A mirror swap wouldn’t have been as effective since focus snap would still be tough with the stock focuser.

Last night the seeing was spectacular and I had Saturn at 350x and my 6” f/6 spooner mirror was singing. The individual bands were openly visible on Saturn with the ring separation so clear. I swung the OTA to a few doubles and the views were refractor like.

If your a serious observer a refigure will keep you smiling.

It hurts once to pay for it but the rewards are worth it as listed above.

A.nice way to get premium views at a reasonable price, refigure.

#42 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

I think a 6” f/6 Newtonian with a premium mirror on a solid alt az with under 30% of CO could be one of the best “have the cake and eat it as well” secrets in amateur astronomy. Low cost, sharp views on planets that easily exceed those of a 4” apo (I also use a 4” fluorite Tak sometimes), bigger focus sweet spot and the advantage of almost fully illuminating wide field eyepieces to provide nearly 3 degrees of field.

PM me if you are interested in a 6” f/6 that Steve swayze can refigure pretty inexpensively (I have written to several ATMs and not all will work on a 6”).

• astroneil likes this

#43 Ron77

Ron77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

I'd prefer F6 too actually... F8 even better. A good old planetary standby many years ago was just a 6 inch F8 newt, those really appeal to me.

Wow cool, is that with the optics it came with? (the planetary detail)?

#44 Ron77

Ron77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

I think a 6” f/6 Newtonian with a premium mirror on a solid alt az with under 30% of CO could be one of the best “have the cake and eat it as well” secrets in amateur astronomy. Low cost, sharp views on planets that easily exceed those of a 4” apo (I also use a 4” fluorite Tak sometimes), bigger focus sweet spot and the advantage of almost fully illuminating wide field eyepieces to provide nearly 3 degrees of field.

PM me if you are interested in a 6” f/6 that Steve swayze can refigure pretty inexpensively (I have written to several ATMs and not all will work on a 6”).

Which 6 inch F6 are you selling? So is it 'stock' and working but a re-figure would help, or is it  really 'in need' of a re-figure?

#45 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

A GSO with 3 small scratches. please pm. It might be a violation of CN terms to discuss here and I’m not a vendor.

#46 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

I'd prefer F6 too actually... F8 even better. A good old planetary standby many years ago was just a 6 inch F8 newt, those really appeal to me.

Wow cool, is that with the optics it came with? (the planetary detail)?

A 6” f/8 is tough to mount on my compact driven mount (zeq25) but f/6 is doable although a suitable arrangement for rotating the tube has to be made. Alt az is fine for quick views but for detailed study of solar system objects as well as during star parties, I prefer a driven mount.

A 6” f/8 also doesn’t do widefield as well as a 6” f/6 does. For that focal length, most people will tell you that an 8” f/6 is better than a 6” f/8 all else equal. Neither is going on my driven mount.

The stock optics didn’t even approach the kind of contrast that the custom mirror delivers.

To get better views on planets than what I’m getting, I will need to spend significant money on something like a Mewlon and that one while beautifully made is going to be more expensive, fussy and won’t do widefield.

#47 Ron77

Ron77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

A 6” f/8 is tough to mount on my compact driven mount (zeq25) but f/6 is doable although a suitable arrangement for rotating the tube has to be made. Alt az is fine for quick views but for detailed study of solar system objects as well as during star parties, I prefer a driven mount.

A 6” f/8 also doesn’t do widefield as well as a 6” f/6 does. For that focal length, most people will tell you that an 8” f/6 is better than a 6” f/8 all else equal. Neither is going on my driven mount.

The stock optics didn’t even approach the kind of contrast that the custom mirror delivers.

To get better views on planets than what I’m getting, I will need to spend significant money on something like a Mewlon and that one while beautifully made is going to be more expensive, fussy and won’t do widefield.

True!

Me though, I care not about wide, just planetary, I have a sturdy enough GEM, I'm sure a 6 F8 would ride nicely on. But finding one, with good optic... good price... fresh enough mirror coatings... that'd be hard....

A 6inch F8 with a good enough mirror, mod to an undersized 2ndary, maybe a curved spider... it would be awesome for planets.

Edited by Ron77, 30 July 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#48 Heavensboy

Heavensboy

Lift Off

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

Hi all;

Lots of activity here on the 6in F/6 subject.  I have a TPO 6in F/6 I rate this mirror at below average.  On a five star scale id give it a two star rating.

I am a little disappointed with this but hey its a Chinese built scope. 

Anyone out there that still does a decent job with refiguring a 6 in mirror.  Most guys wont touch anything under 10 inches just not enough money on anything in the lower size mirror scale.

Clear skies

Heavensboy

#49 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

AFAIK, Swayze, Steve Dodds, Ed Jones and Mike Spooner will work on 6" and Royce is retired.

Yes that was my impression of my stock GSO 6" f/6. The issue is quality variation from mass manufacturing. Once in a while you'll hit the jackpot and get a 1/8th P-V mirror but that is not the norm. I expect one would have better luck at f/8 than f/5 or even f/6

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics