•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Borg 90FL - Ultimate optics in small form factor?

refractor equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#301 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

FYI I have the Borg 55FL which has even more FC. I fitted it recently with a TS flattener and now I don't have to refocus to see nice stars center or edge. This model flattener screwed directly on a 1.25" to 2" adapter in front of the T2 Baader Amici diagonal.

Interesting. I use the same flattener with a GSO diagonal in a 600mm refractor. How does the Amici diagonal handle the steep light cone?

• ratnamaravind likes this

#302 moshen

moshen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Moshen,

FYI I have the Borg 55FL which has even more FC. I fitted it recently with a TS flattener and now I don't have to refocus to see nice stars center or edge. This model flattener screwed directly on a 1.25" to 2" adapter in front of the T2 Baader Amici diagonal.

I use mine as a finderscope with a Pan 24 and now from FC rearing its ugly head 50% out of the center, it appears at 90%+ out of the center. I am sure if I play with it a bit in terms of spacing I will get it right, but my eye now accommodates FC to such an extend that I think I will hold off.

Very interesting Nick, not too pricey and maybe a good solution for those who have issues with the field curvature. Nice to know it works well visually.

#303 moshen

moshen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Got it! Would love to hear about your tests and how well the mod3 works with them.

The mod3 works great with the 90FL. I was up late last night and was viewing a fully resolved-to-the-core M13. I did use a barlow to get some image scale but it looked really nice.

• ratnamaravind likes this

#304 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:43 PM

Anthony, I use the astronomical Amici prism which is better than the garden variety one and since it is mated to the flattener, it performs brilliantly.

For such a fast light cone on a doublet refractor, a mirror is definitely preferred, but the Borg is my RACI finder so yeah, Amici for me :)

• Anthony236J and Diehard like this

#305 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

Peter, really pleased with its performance. I have not "finalized" the spacing between the flattener yet now I can easily accommodate the little remaining field curvature. I'll try to fix the spacing next time I am out but even as is, it is perfect for my intended use!

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#306 Anthony236J

Anthony236J

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

Anthony, I use the astronomical Amici prism which is better than the garden variety one and since it is mated to the flattener, it performs brilliantly.

For such a fast light cone on a doublet refractor, a mirror is definitely preferred, but the Borg is my RACI finder so yeah, Amici for me smile.gif

Hey Nick, I'm glad that worked out! I would not have expected that a 1x flattener would affect the light cone in a way that could be beneficial to the prism diagonal.

#307 jay.i

jay.i

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hey Nick, I'm glad that worked out! I would not have expected that a 1x flattener would affect the light cone in a way that could be beneficial to the prism diagonal.

I don't think Nick is saying the prism diagonal is beneficial, he's just saying because he wants it to be a RACI finder, he has to use the Amici prism, despite the shortcomings of prism diagonals with fast focal ratios.

• nicknacknock likes this

#308 Anthony236J

Anthony236J

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

I agree with you in the use case of the amici prism, but that was not my comment. My comment was that I did not expect the flattener to positively affect the performance of the prism diagonal since the focal ratio remains essentially unchanged.

#309 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

I don't think Nick is saying the prism diagonal is beneficial, he's just saying because he wants it to be a RACI finder, he has to use the Amici prism, despite the shortcomings of prism diagonals with fast focal ratios.

Correct. A prism is not the best option for fast focal ratios and I did try it. Better results with a mirror diagonal. But I want RACI for myself so Amici prism for me.

At the low magnification I work (x10) and using it as a finderscope, the only aberration I care about is FC. The flattener took care of that.

• Anthony236J likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics