•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Borg 90FL - Ultimate optics in small form factor?

refractor equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

I was reading that it only comes in black now, even though Hutech has the white objective assembly still listed on their site.

I only comes in black - since about a bit more than a year ago. But the black unit is really beautiful...

2016 07 21 19.14.41

#27 George9

George9

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

It seems that the manufacturers are missing out on a large market. The Baader APO 95/560 CaF2 APO sold out so quickly despite its high price. I was early on the wait list but they ended up not having to offer it in the US or even ship it.

Since I am visual, I don't need the very fast focal ratio. F/6.3 or even f/7 would be fine. I don't mind losing a little field of view to improve visual performance. I mainly want the short tube, and that's why I got the f/5.5.

I agree triplets tend to be heavier, but I don't think it is the glass so much as the fact that manufacturers put the more expensive glass in a better OTA, especially for astro-imaging. The TMB 92L demonstrates that a light triplet is possible.

I know that Borg has perfected component-based OTAs that can improve airline portability, but I hear that some tubes vignette and the shorter focal ratios offer a nice but not perfect view (including in this thread).

I am thinking more of a telescoping tube. It would be extended for normal viewing and retracted for binoviewing and transport. Looking at my modified TMB 92L, the adapter from the light tube to the feathertouch is a significant hunk of aluminum. I am sure someone clever could turn it into something that telescopes without increasing the weight. Or go with the removable section, but in a lightweight configuration.

My ideal would probably be a lightweight 92mm f/6.3 triplet with a telescoping tube that is easy to extend and retract.

George

• Aleko likes this

#28 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Any word on a cyber Monday sale/discounts at Hutech?

#29 jay.i

jay.i

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

It seems that the manufacturers are missing out on a large market. The Baader APO 95/560 CaF2 APO sold out so quickly despite its high price. I was early on the wait list but they ended up not having to offer it in the US or even ship it.

Since I am visual, I don't need the very fast focal ratio. F/6.3 or even f/7 would be fine. I don't mind losing a little field of view to improve visual performance. I mainly want the short tube, and that's why I got the f/5.5.

I agree triplets tend to be heavier, but I don't think it is the glass so much as the fact that manufacturers put the more expensive glass in a better OTA, especially for astro-imaging. The TMB 92L demonstrates that a light triplet is possible.

I know that Borg has perfected component-based OTAs that can improve airline portability, but I hear that some tubes vignette and the shorter focal ratios offer a nice but not perfect view (including in this thread).

I am thinking more of a telescoping tube. It would be extended for normal viewing and retracted for binoviewing and transport. Looking at my modified TMB 92L, the adapter from the light tube to the feathertouch is a significant hunk of aluminum. I am sure someone clever could turn it into something that telescopes without increasing the weight. Or go with the removable section, but in a lightweight configuration.

My ideal would probably be a lightweight 92mm f/6.3 triplet with a telescoping tube that is easy to extend and retract.

George

A telescoping tube would be a great solution to the length issue. I too am not really looking for a fast scope for visual use, but it's all I can get for these maximum aperture travel scopes, and it makes sense. Thankfully, sometimes there are solutions, like extenders and flatteners. The 1.2x visual flattener from Borg will put the 90FL at f/6.7, a very sweet spot if you ask me! Still somewhat fast for larger exit pupils, but a little more magnification and correction. Yes, a mighty sweet proposition! It's especially exciting because Ted said one will be able to use large 2" eyepieces with a nice flat view. I can't wait.

#30 jay.i

jay.i

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Any word on a cyber Monday sale/discounts at Hutech?

A few days ago, I asked Ted about any sales or deals going on, and he said there are none right now. He didn't mention about Black Friday/Cyber Monday so I'm not sure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics