•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tarantula and the LMC proper first light with FSQ106EDX4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wallaroo Australia

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:42 AM

After my quickie first light test on the SMC I decided to hit the LMC properly, well with 4deg X 4deg field available, about half of it anyway

While this is presented in essentially true colour, it is in fact a HaOIIIRGB blend to specifically accentuate the amazing amount of ionised gases (the whole region is permeated with strands of HII and lots of OIII too).

To say I am very happy with how the mount, camera and scope performed ie. absolutely flawlessly, is an understatement (not one sub over three nights was chucked!)...it's a great feeling.  After hearing about the notoriety of the FSQ and focus shift with temperature changes, I have found that the focus actually holds pretty well as far as I can tell and here is what the guide graph looked like all night all three nights and often even better!

Other than what happens when applying DDP, I used no specific processing on the stars, this is them out of the scope, I also used no noise reduction at all (just darks and dither guided) so very happy with this chip/camera. With such tiny stars across such a big field, registration is critical at this size chip, particularly when displaying at 100% full res...and critical inspection shows it is very close to spot on, so happy bout that . Worth noting I have had to do no shimming or tilting or spacing adjustments, this is how I put it all together, first time, out of the boxes 

With lots of weird shaped nebulae strewn all over the scene and dozens of open clusters and globular clusters to find, this image needs to be viewed at full resolution:

Tarantula region LMC

However, to appreciate the whole field at once here is a smaller file.

For those who enjoy the B&W contrasty look of the Halpha only

Remember, all capture details are under the image

Enjoy

Mike

Edited by Strongmanmike, 22 November 2017 - 01:42 AM.

• EricCCD, Jared, zoran and 16 others like this

#2 CarlosUriarte

CarlosUriarte

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tarragona

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:41 AM

WoW! Incredible photo. Congrats! Like color and composition! Great!

#3 schmeah

schmeah

Soyuz

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

Very impressive!

#4 BenKolt

BenKolt

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

Good job, Mike.  I particularly liked the Halpha image!  I'm sure you'll enjoy your new equipment immensely.

Best Regards,

Ben

#5 McConkey

McConkey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Is that one image?!!??? Not a mosaic? That is absolutely jaw dropping!! Beyond incredible!

I cannot wait to see more from this setup!

#6 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: United States

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

Spectacular image, Mike - the colors are excellent and the details are beautiful as well.   Great to see all of your equipment working so well together!

#7 bananarep

bananarep

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

That is incredible. FSQ106 is a serious competitor. Boom!

#8 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Thanks so much guys and yes Scott, t'is a great feeling to have a system working so well straight up waytogo.gif

Karl, yes I should do a mosaic, I recon four panels should cover the best areas of the galaxy....scratchhead2.gif

Mike

#9 ignacio_db

ignacio_db

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Mike, the level of resolution that your are getting with such a short focal length is just insane! Beautiful frame, which begs for completion to cover all of the LMC.

What is the scale in your guiding graph? Don't tell me it is arc-sec because I will be kicking my jaw all day!

Also, what kind of seeing did you have in those sessions? 

best,

Ignacio

#10 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

Mike, the level of resolution that your are getting with such a short focal length is just insane! Beautiful frame, which begs for completion to cover all of the LMC.

What is the scale in your guiding graph? Don't tell me it is arc-sec because I will be kicking my jaw all day!

Also, what kind of seeing did you have in those sessions? 

best,

Ignacio

Hi Igi, yes after seeing this result, a few have urged me to do my first mozaic....hmm.gif  sweaty.gif

The FSQ + 16803 chip gives 3.5"/pix image scale 

The guide graph is in pixels, the scale is 6.46"/pix (lodestar bin 2X2) so the ave guide errors are +/- 0.05pix or about +/- 0.3 arc sec

The seeing was better than the image scale each night wink.gif

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics