•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacman

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McConkey

McConkey

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Managed to get a few hours the other week on the Pacman while i wait for the Flame Nebula to creep over my neighbours house. I am still really loving the ASI1600 and the results it can produce from such little exposure time.

20x Ha 300s

20x Oiii 300s

get.jpg?insecure

C&C welcome and as always, clear skies!

• psandelle, G. Hatfield, Caddman and 1 other like this

#2 Vassar1978

Vassar1978

Vostok 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Nice Pacman Karl!  I also use the ASI1600MM and agree, it's a great camera and the shorter exposures mean fewer tossed subs due to guiding issues, wind, etc.  I'm also shooting 300s subs in narrow band at the moment, using a gain of 200 and offset of 50.  I've actually been doing LRGB with those settings too and so far I'm happy with the results.  I was using 139 gain for LRGB but can't really see much difference and it's easier to just use one gain setting so my flat and dark libraries are easier to compile and smaller to store.

What are you doing for gain settings?

Clear skies,

Rowland

#3 KD58

KD58

Viking 1

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

Wonderful image. 

#4 McConkey

McConkey

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Rowland and KD! I appreciate the kind comments!

Rowland - I am using Unity as my gain setting....139 i believe is the actual number. I found that this gave me results i am happy with. I find that 300s brings out enough detail in what i'm shooting without blowing out the highlights (for 90% of objects anyway). If i were to image something a little fainter i may change up the settings but i'm happy with my results at Unity Gain.

I havn't dipped my toes into LRGB imaging yet but i would assume, like you, i would keep my camera settings the same for an easier a calibration library!

Clear skies!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics