•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BRESSER 4 Inch f 4.5 AR 102XS Refractor visual observers’ REVIEW

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 DIMITRIS K.

DIMITRIS K.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

Thanks Peter.

Right so a semi-apo it is then. I'm just catching up with threads/posts on this scope. I'm interested for sure as part corrected wide field sounds like a nice step up from Skywatcher's ST80/120.

Rob

Hi i had the same questions and i send an email to BRESSER. Here is their answer. Hope it helps!

"Here is the mail with the reply from BRESSER:

Dear Mr. ...,

thank you for your interest in a BRESSER telescope.

About your questions:

- What type of ED glass do you use?
What exact ED glass it is is a business secret, I ask for your understanding. But of course, at this price range it is logical that it is a very cheap ED glass.

- How severe chromatic aberration i must expect?
It is like a normal achromatic refractor around F/7.

- Concerning ED glass, can you classified it as a semi apo telescope?
No! We classify it clearly only as achromatic refractor! We use ED glass at this telescope only because at F/4.5 you cannot really use normal glass.

- Is it suitable for astrophotography and EAA?
This telescope is made for wide-field observing. For example the North-America nebulae is a very nice object to observe at this telescope. It is also a very nice telescope for travelling.

Of course, you can also use it for imaging, but you will get some color at bright stars.

But this telescope is NOT a apo-chromatic flat-field astrograph!

Best regards
Wolfgang Quere"

• DHEB and petmic like this

#27 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

I think it is only AR127 and AR152 in Bresser line that use Petzval design.

I have got AR102S and it is certainly not a Petzval design. AFAIK AR102XS is basically a shortened AR102S and in order to reduce the chromatic abberation they used ED glass on one of the doublet lenses. It is definitely not a ED scope though.

You're right. Only the Bresser Messier AR127 and AR152 have a Petzval design. 

• morden8uk likes this

#28 SteveFour86

SteveFour86

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay City, OR

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

Good stuff thank you for your time and efforts in sharing this with us in the interwebs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics