•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a picture of your Comet Catcher !

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Marco1968

Marco1968

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Greetings,

to all the proud owners of Comet Catchers out there, please post a photo of your fast, small CAT !

Of course, owners of Vixens SP-140SS, Meade Cometrackers and siblings are welcome to the show!

I start with mine, actually a Vixen SP-140SS.

Enjoy,

Marco 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171126_161625-1228x1637.jpg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, KevH and 6 others like this

#2 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

3516A37A-C2D3-423A-BBA3-8CA5565DB1B8.jpeg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, Marco1968 and 4 others like this

#3 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

BA1B2E4A-DD89-48AD-B24C-B4E617802649.jpeg

• Marco1968, ShaulaB, BillShakes and 2 others like this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Where might one obtain mounting rings to fit a Comet Catcher?

• ShaulaB likes this

#5 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

These would work, but have been out of stock for a long time: https://agenaastro.c...e-ring-6-3.html
  • ShaulaB likes this

#6 Marco1968

Marco1968

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

@Solar storm: impressive setup indeed! Sorry for the newbie question... are these night vision googles?
And, I am worried to put too much weight on the slide focuser (like a DSLR) but yours seem happy to carry all the items... did you apply any modification?
Clear Skies
Marco

#7 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

@Solar storm: impressive setup indeed! Sorry for the newbie question... are these night vision googles?
And, I am worried to put too much weight on the slide focuser (like a DSLR) but yours seem happy to carry all the items... did you apply any modification?
Clear Skies
Marco

Yup that is the PVS-7 night vision goggle. It is very light.  Pairs excellently with the fast focal ratio of the Comet Catcher.  I have replaced my focuser eyepiece holder.  But only so that I can use a filter slide for my PVS-7.  The night vision works well with the original eyepiece holder.  I got a Precise Parts adapter made so I can put a low profile 1.25” adapter on.

• Marco1968 likes this

#8 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

With that PVS-7, an Ha filter, and the Comet Catcher, I can see the Horse Head nebula from my heavily light polluted inner city back yard!

• Marco1968 likes this

#9 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Thanks to JGass I called Agena Astro about availability of their Comet Catcher rings. After checking with the warehouse I was informed that they now have these rings in stock at $45 with free shipping. I don't know how long the price will be in effect but it is for today (Cyber Monday) and I've ordered a set. 

#10 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

My Celestron Comet Catcher is a green tube model called the Star 140. It was marketed in the mid-80's for a short period of time by Astronomy Magazine. It's on my iOptron SmartEQ mount. I sorta like the "sexy" racing stripe!

Comet_Catcher.jpg

Comet_Catcher_closeup.jpg

• Erik Bakker, beanerds, Marco1968 and 4 others like this

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

Great little scopes. Nice idea to get people putting up pictures of them.   From time to time, I think about getting another one for mount-less observing.  I could stand in my yard with mine cradled in my arms.

My first view of Horsehead (also using NV) was with my Comet Catcher.

Sadly, mine had coatings that had lost a lot of reflectivity and my guess is that this would be true of most older Comet Catchers. This though is a scope that I think would be worth having recoated. 

• Marco1968 and Terra Nova like this

#12 BillShakes

BillShakes

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central New Hampshire, USA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

Here is mine, paired on a TWII mount with my C6.  This is a great combination - bright wide fields in the CC and sharp high mag with the C6.  Makes for a fun night!

img_6150.jpg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, beanerds and 4 others like this

#13 Steven C

Steven C

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Lee Island Coast where it is just another day in paradise

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Parallax makes rings that fit the Comet Catcher.

• DSalters likes this

#14 BIG

BIG

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona High-Country

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Thought I would add mine to the collection. Shown on the tripod I received it with from the second owner. I am assuming it came with the scope as an original option. It needed some work and I have it mostly functional with the exception of a couple of knobs/levers that I have been contemplating options from McMaster-Carr. Nothing I have found yet is a close match but there are some options that should work.

Also need to touch up a few scratches on the scope tube but have not found a good match for the vintage orange paint yet. Any leads on where I can find a match are greatly appreciated! Fun little scope - thanks for lookin'.

CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, Marco1968 and 5 others like this

#15 Marco1968

Marco1968

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

Thanks you all for the contributions so far!

Very nice and interesting setups, Comet CATs are well cared of by their Owners!

@ *skyguy*: very unusual color and really cool the style of the name on the side... indeed it would be very appropriate for the manufacturer's logo on the tank of a high speed motorcycle ... it definitely conveys the idea of speed (well, optical speed in this case grin.gif)

@ Eddgie: thanks for the comments! Believe me, your posts here on CN on your experience with Comet CATs and NVGs had a good part in convincing myself to look for one. Now I should save budget for NGVs wink.gif  

@ BillShakes: as it happens I own (almost) the same two CATs as yours, the Vixen SP-140SS and Celestron 6SE! Great combination indeed not yet placed side-to-side ... I have to try it out soon! smile.gif

@BIG: I would say your Comet CAT is so far the most historically accurate of the collection! Love the mount and the rings, all items looks in pretty good condition! waytogo.gif  

Looking forward to more Comet CATs joining the Club!

Marco

#16 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

Absolutely Beautiful Scopes. Makes me wish I had one.

Who knows,in time I just may make that wish come true. Thank you all for sharing.waytogo.gif 

• Marco1968 likes this

#17 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

I’ve had mine since it was new. The optics are still is great condition!  This was my first ”real” telescope.  I use it all the time. I can never get over the beautiful wide field view this girl yields smile.gif.  The slide focuser still works fine but I recently added a Baader Eyepiece Holder with Helical Focuser. This makes focusing much smoother since I no longer have to slide into focus with one hand while tightening the slide with the other.  

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• 3DDF057E-9504-4B25-9920-DC19887F8703.jpeg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, Marco1968 and 4 others like this

#18 Steven C

Steven C

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Lee Island Coast where it is just another day in paradise

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

Tony, Nice CC, vaguely reminds me of an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Edited by Steven C, 30 November 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#19 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

I was hoping you wouldn’t notice the resemblance ......

#20 stomias

stomias

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:48 AM

4of5
Album: tele's
2 images
0 comments

• Marco1968 likes this

#21 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

@ Eddgie: thanks for the comments! Believe me, your posts here on CN on your experience with Comet CATs and NVGs had a good part in convincing myself to look for one. Now I should save budget for NGVs wink.gif  

Comet Catcher is popular for NV becuase the image intensifers do best when you go fast and the Comet Catcher is one of the fastest small reflectors ever made in any mass quantity.

I particularly liked the fact that with the NV, power was so low that you could sit with it in your lap to observe, of baby cradle it.   The first time I really got a good look at the Horeshead Nebula, I was sitting on the curb in front of my house so I could get a good site-line to Orion (which would have still been behind the house from the back yard.  I just set it on my lap and kind of aimed in the general direction (not possible to use a finder really in this position) .  The field was about 2 degrees wide so it did not take long to find the HH.   The field was big enough to get both the HH and Flame in the same view.   

I sold the Comet Catcher, but later kind of regretted doing it, though the funds went to buy a NV binocular.    I miss it though and have thought many times about buying another one, and having the mirrors recoated with high transmission coatings.

• Marco1968 and Terra Nova like this

#22 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

And I have told this story elsewhere, but it kind of bears repeating.  I had read many posts over the years that suggested that Comet Catchers were typically undercorrected.  What one needs to remember though is that the Comet Catcher is f/3.6 and at that speed most eyepieces are no longer diffraction limited, and if you use them to test for SA, the SA of the eyepiece itself can be greater than the SA of the system you are testing in.

Now the NV gear at prime focus has a flat photocathode so this induces no SA at all when the objective is removed and the device is used in the eyepiece.

When I star tested with a Plossl, it was easy to see that the secondary shadow size was different inside vs outside of focus.   When I did it with the NV device though and using a mangifying glass at the NV device eyepiece, I found that the shadows were very close on either side of focus. 

Now no one would buy this as a planetary scope and for low power sweeping, SA is simply not all that big a deal, but the point is that I feel as if the optics got a bad reputation when it is more likely that the optics are diffraction limited, but many eyepieces are not diffraction limited at f/3.6.  

I think they are super fun little scopes though, and I would rather have one of these than an 80mm achromat.    Goes much deeper, and field is better off axis because it is flatter and sharper.   A 16mm Nagler would probably be amazing in a Comet Catcher, but I never had one to try out. 

Fun little scopes though, and if you are thinking about NV, it is a top choice for a small sweeper and lap scope.   I think there are at least four of us that had our first Horeshead view ever using a Comet Catcher and NV. 

• Marco1968 likes this

#23 Planethunter80

Planethunter80

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

Thought I would add mine to the collection. Shown on the tripod I received it with from the second owner. I am assuming it came with the scope as an original option. It needed some work and I have it mostly functional with the exception of a couple of knobs/levers that I have been contemplating options from McMaster-Carr. Nothing I have found yet is a close match but there are some options that should work.

Also need to touch up a few scratches on the scope tube but have not found a good match for the vintage orange paint yet. Any leads on where I can find a match are greatly appreciated! Fun little scope - thanks for lookin'.

attachicon.gifCC1.jpg

attachicon.gifCC2.jpg

She is Beautiful Indeed! I would love to have something like this.Hope it's served(and is serving)you well. waytogo.gif 

• Starman27, BIG and Marco1968 like this

#24 Solar storm

Solar storm

Mariner 2

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Bump.  There has got to be more out there smile.gif

• Marco1968 likes this

#25 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

OK! Here is mine resting. Wonderful viewing.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2570.gif

• Erik Bakker, Steven C, Marco1968 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics