•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ioptron cem120 Mount is imminent

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#176 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

I am happy with my CEM60 as per my recent PE test:

https://www.cloudyni...-new-cem60s-pe/

• Space_Oddity likes this

#177 kz0m

kz0m

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Looks like some folks are pretty amped up about this new Ioptron mount. You know I was pretty amped before I purchased my CEM60, and have had nothing but trouble since the purchase. See page: https://www.cloudyni...em60-vibration/

All looked OK when I opened the boxes and case, with everything in perfect aesthetic condition. I then screwed the Mini-pier to a bench as a base and did a run down of operations, and all worked fine. Only when I did an actual field trial did I find a vibration problem I have not resolved. The new mount is now on its way back to their shop and I'm waiting for their analyses. Not sure what the problem may be but my setup with a Celestron Edge 925HD just cannot be controlled. While specs says one thing for lifting a payload, it may be another thing to control and stabilize the same weight.

While I'm not ruling out some fluke here, I would advise the following:

-Be very aware of the manufacturer's and distributor's return policies. Once you purchase the clock is ticking.

-Be prepared to do a full field test immediately after receiving. If problems arise you should be able to return regardless.

I did not do the two above in a timely manner and am wondering if I have been stuck with a $2200 boat anchor. Not saying all will go wrong for you, but if you check the threads you will find there has been very mixed reviews with Ioptron. Best of luck, fellow astronomers.

I know what you mean regarding problems with equipment, whether new or used.  I purchased a new AP1600 mount and had an issue right out of the box, called and talked with Howard at AP and got it taken are of.  Regarding the iOptron mounts, I've had two, a CEM60 new which worked great and a used CEM60EC.  I upgraded the boards on the EC model and still have that mount today.  I've imaged with a 1070mm refractor for 10 minute subs without guiding using the EC mount, I have been super happy with it!  It really makes a difference with the PoleMaster as well, what a great product and I use the PoleMaster to get awesome polar alignment.

I'll be bench testing the 120EC when it arrives as I do all my equipment before taking it out in the field.

There have been a few comments regarding the 120 not being a portable mount but I also have an NJP which is about the same weight as the 120 and I take the NJP out quite often without any problem, it does weight about 50 pounds also as does the 120.  

I am also going to build a make shift pier adapter for the 120 as I have two of the iOptron tri-piers and will modify one for the 120.  I like the tri-piers except I'd like them a little taller even with the extension it is still a little low for the scopes I have but glad my Sony A7s full spectrum camera has a screen that moves up and down and not fixed as a lot of the other DSLR cameras are so even though the tri-pier is not that tall, at least I'm not laying on the ground during focusing and or viewing.

Anyway, I'm sure iOptron will get your mount figured out and may just replace it with a new one, they have been very good regarding getting parts and information to me when I upgraded my 60EC boards, very happy with my iOptron products so far ;>)

Edited by kz0m, 03 January 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• psandelle, bsavoie and Space_Oddity like this

#178 adastranova

adastranova

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

Looks like some folks are pretty amped up about this new Ioptron mount. You know I was pretty amped before I purchased my CEM60, and have had nothing but trouble since the purchase. See page: https://www.cloudyni...em60-vibration/

All looked OK when I opened the boxes and case, with everything in perfect aesthetic condition. I then screwed the Mini-pier to a bench as a base and did a run down of operations, and all worked fine. Only when I did an actual field trial did I find a vibration problem I have not resolved. The new mount is now on its way back to their shop and I'm waiting for their analyses. Not sure what the problem may be but my setup with a Celestron Edge 925HD just cannot be controlled. While specs says one thing for lifting a payload, it may be another thing to control and stabilize the same weight.

While I'm not ruling out some fluke here, I would advise the following:

-Be very aware of the manufacturer's and distributor's return policies. Once you purchase the clock is ticking.

-Be prepared to do a full field test immediately after receiving. If problems arise you should be able to return regardless.

I did not do the two above in a timely manner and am wondering if I have been stuck with a $2200 boat anchor. Not saying all will go wrong for you, but if you check the threads you will find there has been very mixed reviews with Ioptron. Best of luck, fellow astronomers.

I know what you mean regarding problems with equipment, whether new or used.  I purchased a new AP1600 mount and had an issue right out of the box, called and talked with Howard at AP and got it taken are of.  Regarding the iOptron mounts, I've had two, a CEM60 new which worked great and a used CEM60EC.  I upgraded the boards on the EC model and still have that mount today.  I've imaged with a 1070mm refractor for 10 minute subs without guiding using the EC mount, I have been super happy with it!  It really makes a difference with the PoleMaster as well, what a great product and I use the PoleMaster to get awesome polar alignment.

I'll be bench testing the 120EC when it arrives as I do all my equipment before taking it out in the field.

There have been a few comments regarding the 120 not being a portable mount but I also have an NJP which is about the same weight as the 120 and I take the NJP out quite often without any problem, it does weight about 50 pounds also as does the 120.  

I am also going to build a make shift pier adapter for the 120 as I have two of the iOptron tri-piers and will modify one for the 120.  I like the tri-piers except I'd like them a little taller even with the extension it is still a little low for the scopes I have but glad my Sony A7s full spectrum camera has a screen that moves up and down and not fixed as a lot of the other DSLR cameras are so even though the tri-pier is not that tall, at least I'm not laying on the ground during focusing and or viewing.

Anyway, I'm sure iOptron will get your mount figured out and may just replace it with a new one, they have been very good regarding getting parts and information to me when I upgraded my 60EC boards, very happy with my iOptron products so far ;>)

Glad your setups worked out for you. Some like you seem really happy with Ioptron while others are furious. Hoping to get some positive feedback from their Tech Support. 

• dvalid likes this

#179 Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE Pennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

I just got notification ...My CEM120 EC is shipping from iOptron warehouse this Friday!!!!!!! Now I'm excited!!!

• zjc26138, Phil Cowell, Chuckwagon and 12 others like this

#180 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

@ Adastranova: "Glad your setups worked out for you. Some like you seem really happy with Ioptron while others are furious. Hoping to get some positive feedback from their Tech Support."

Maybe that is because some people expect $10,000 performance of a $ 2,000 mount...

I own a iEQ45Pro (about $2,000) great little lightweight mount, performs great, bot not comparable to my ASA85, and that is to be expected. Would be really absurd if it would perform the same. If you want to buy something that can be expected to be absolutely flawless, only the absolute top products come into view for absolute top money...

Anybody with understanding of mechanics and business gets that. Quality comes at a price.

The iOptron Tech Support has always been very co-operative with me for questions I had. No complaints there from me.

I think it is all about expectations and of course some lemons...

• Phil Cowell, psandelle and 42 degrees north like this

#181 adastranova

adastranova

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:18 AM

@ Adastranova: "Glad your setups worked out for you. Some like you seem really happy with Ioptron while others are furious. Hoping to get some positive feedback from their Tech Support."

Maybe that is because some people expect $10,000 performance of a $ 2,000 mount...

I own a iEQ45Pro (about $2,000) great little lightweight mount, performs great, bot not comparable to my ASA85, and that is to be expected. Would be really absurd if it would perform the same. If you want to buy something that can be expected to be absolutely flawless, only the absolute top products come into view for absolute top money...

Anybody with understanding of mechanics and business gets that. Quality comes at a price.

The iOptron Tech Support has always been very co-operative with me for questions I had. No complaints there from me.

Happy to hear you have had positive experiences with Ioptron. I'm sure the expensive professional level mounts would work better which is what you pay for. Perhaps I will upgrade in the future. But for $2200 I still expect a mount that just plain works at all, from what I've seen so far my CEM60 is useless. Doesn't work under any conditions for any purpose, not talking fine tuning for better alignment and the best astrophotos. Perhaps the iEQ45Pro has a better track record and I can trade the CEM60 for one of those. 

Thanks for your input. This forum has been most useful.

#182 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:39 AM

My iEQ30pro holds firmly RC8" setup and guids with RMS error under 0.5". While my CEM60 vibrates and wobbles under the same setup or any other, heavier than the FSQ106. I have to use adaptive optics to get decent results from EDGE 1100HD setup, which still is under 40 pounds.  Do you think this is normal? Should not I expect from $ 2,400 mount a bit better performance than from the half priced mount? 

The iOptron Tech Support is co-operative indeed, but despite the efforts this does not solve my problems..

Edited by dvalid, 10 January 2018 - 03:41 AM.

• KemalOz and adastranova like this

#183 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

My iEQ30pro holds firmly RC8" setup and guids with RMS error under 0.5". While my CEM60 vibrates and wobbles under the same setup or any other, heavier than the FSQ106. I have to use adaptive optics to get decent results from EDGE 1100HD setup, which still is under 40 pounds.  Do you think this is normal? Should not I expect from $ 2,400 mount a bit better performance than from the half priced mount? 

The iOptron Tech Support is co-operative indeed, but despite the efforts this does not solve my problems..

Apparantly you have one of the lemons.  Why didn't you just bring it back to the vendor? That is the first responsible for everything he sells to you...

It is your civilian right to get the articles you paid for in new and good working order, if not then it is also your right to get your money back.  So ask your money back or trade for a working as it should article...

If you waited too long and the refund period is over, the one to blaim is yourself. It is your own risk to not check and rely on the seller, alas. And yes, that is really sour and I am sorry for you but there is a lesson included here...

This vibration issue is a weird thing and I can only imagin it has to do with too loose or bad bearings if all pier or tripod issues are ruled out. 

edit: I think if everybody with problems would first go to the vendor instead of taking over his job and contact the manufacturer them selves, these kind of issues will have a short life. Vendors will start checking before they sell you a lemon. Name and shame is a powerfull weapon on the internet nowadays... 

Edited by Waldemar, 10 January 2018 - 06:24 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#184 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

Apparantly you have one of the lemons.  Why didn't you just bring it back to the vendor? That is the first responsible for everything he sells to you...

It is your civilian right to get the articles you paid for in new and good working order, if not then it is also your right to get your money back.  So ask your money back or trade for a working as it should article...

If you waited too long and the refund period is over, the one to blaim is yourself. It is your own risk to not check and rely on the seller, alas. And yes, that is really sour and I am sorry for you but there is a lesson included here...

This vibration issue is a weird thing and I can only imagin it has to do with too loose or bad bearings if all pier or tripod issues are ruled out. 

edit: I think if everybody with problems would first go to the vendor instead of taking over his job and contact the manufacturer them selves, these kind of issues will have a short life. Vendors will start checking before they sell you a lemon. Name and shame is a powerfull weapon on the internet nowadays... 

It's easy to say, the reality is a bit different. When I received the mount it's RA motor did not work. I had to send them back RA board, then replace all three boards - RA, DEC and the Main one (not that easy, I would say), hence they only had the new version of RA boards, which were incompatible with the older ones.

Then I worked with FSQ106 setup on it and it was OK, if not take into account that the mount refused to work at temperatures below freezing. It was finally fixed by updating the firmware after the months of a wasted time, when they finally got how to fix it. 

When I put my 1100HD and discovered the mount was wobbling, I was suggested to change the 2" tripod to their pier. I did, but this did not help.

And it was too late. Though even if it's not, I had to pay around $800 for the round trip from my location in the end of Europe to the retailer. 

Well, my fault. Should have think twice before rolling a dice..

Edited by dvalid, 10 January 2018 - 08:46 AM.

#185 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

It's easy to say, the reality is a bit different. When I received the mount it's RA motor did not work. I had to send them back RA board, then replace all three boards - RA, DEC and the Main one (not that easy, I would say), hence they only had the new version of RA boards, which were incompatible with the older ones.

Then I worked with FSQ106 setup on it and it was OK, if not take into account that the mount refused to work at temperatures below freezing. It was finally fixed by updating the firmware after the months of a wasted time, when they finally got how to fix it. 

When I put my 1100HD and discovered the mount was wobbling, I was suggested to change the 2" tripod to their pier. I did, but this did not help.

And it was too late. Though even if it's not, I had to pay around $800 for the round trip from my location in the end of Europe to the retailer. 

That is a bad experience Dvalid, and indeed it is always easy to find a solution in retrospective... 

If I understand correctly, you have no more warranty on this mount?

If you still do, can you send it back and let them solve the problem?

Or take it apart and try to find the cause of the vibration. My bet would be the main RA bearings not being ok, or not in the right place or too much play. Changing them out for better ones maybe an option? Or maybe shim them, so they are locked in their housing? If the vibrations are so bad, you should be able to feel them when moving the parts by hand and in that way get a good idea of what is happening? Just try a systematic approach by removing parts that can not be the cause by rooling that out. At a point you should be able to get to the root cause of the problem. If the motors are inter changeable that would be worth a quick try also...

I really wish I could be of any assistance to you. Dont know where you live, but I am in the Netherlands in case you are not too far away 

Edited by Waldemar, 10 January 2018 - 10:05 AM.

• dvalid likes this

#186 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Dvalid, did you try the option I poposed in your other thread? To shorten the threaded rods of the rat cage and fill them up with nuts to get a more substantial pillar?

Edited by Waldemar, 10 January 2018 - 10:20 AM.

#187 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

When did you purchase your CEM60? Did it use servo motors?

#188 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

I purchased it in June, 2014, soon after the mount was officially released. CEM60 series were equipped with the stepper motors from very beginning. 

That is a bad experience Dvalid, and indeed it is always easy to find a solution in retrospective... 

Or take it apart and try to find the cause of the vibration. My bet would be the main RA bearings not being ok, or not in the right place or too much play. Changing them out for better ones maybe an option? Or maybe shim them, so they are locked in their housing? If the vibrations are so bad, you should be able to feel them when moving the parts by hand and in that way get a good idea of what is happening? Just try a systematic approach by removing parts that can not be the cause by rooling that out. At a point you should be able to get to the root cause of the problem. If the motors are inter changeable that would be worth a quick try also...

I really wish I could be of any assistance to you. Dont know where you live, but I am in the Netherlands in case you are not too far away 

Waldemar, I really appreciate your willingness to help, thank you!

Yes, no warranty, I own it since 2014. I will definitely try to dig dipper. What I've discovered literally yesterday, while preparing my setup to the upcoming moonless nights, the Latitude locking clamp did not hold RA assembly tightly. I've added thin strip gasket under it, have added teflon washers under azimuth locking nuts as well. The mount looks more rigid now, will check under the heavier load later!

2018-01-10 22.09.32.jpg

Edited: forgot to say, I'm from Georgia, country in South Caucasus smile.gif

Edited by dvalid, 10 January 2018 - 06:15 PM.

• bsavoie likes this

#189 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

I had those scrapings near the altitude clamps too... it's the paint scraping off! What else would you expect from a "low cost" mount lol! I cleaned that out and for the most part the mount holds the altitude steady. I thought about putting a piece of Teflon tape there but hadn't done it yet. Good to know putting some tape on there will help.

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 10 January 2018 - 03:18 PM.

• adastranova likes this

#190 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Dvalid, did you try the option I poposed in your other thread? To shorten the threaded rods of the rat cage and fill them up with nuts to get a more substantial pillar?

Could you please clarify, I'm afraid I did not get you.

#191 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Hi David,

In this link: https://www.astromar...0mm170809187835 you see an image of a pier with a 'rat-cage' at the top. The top mounting plate is elevated by 6 threaded rods or pilars. In most cases only yhree or four are used. This kind of construction is very sensitive for a resonant frequency: a frequency which is boosted by the construction and sets the whole construction into motion.

The longer and thinner the rods the higher the chance that this wil happen. a simple way to test this is to shorten the rods as far as possible and fill the remaining threads with nuts, so the whole construction will get a lot stiffer and the sensitivity for a certain frequency will change dramatically. This may be the solution for your problem. You just have to give it a try.

• BHPR likes this

#192 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Georgia is a bit too far to come over and lent you a helping hand, David, but I think you are digging in deeper already and with some patience and perseverance most problems can be solved. Sometimes problems can be solved in a very simple way as soon as you find the root cause. 

• bsavoie and dvalid like this

#193 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hi David,

In this link: https://www.astromar...0mm170809187835 you see an image of a pier with a 'rat-cage' at the top. The top mounting plate is elevated by 6 threaded rods or pilars. In most cases only yhree or four are used. This kind of construction is very sensitive for a resonant frequency: a frequency which is boosted by the construction and sets the whole construction into motion.

The longer and thinner the rods the higher the chance that this wil happen. a simple way to test this is to shorten the rods as far as possible and fill the remaining threads with nuts, so the whole construction will get a lot stiffer and the sensitivity for a certain frequency will change dramatically. This may be the solution for your problem. You just have to give it a try.

Ah, I see. I use the pier and 2" tripod from iOptron, none of them have a "rat cage":

8021ACC-2.jpg  8033-2T.jpg

Thanks a lot again, will keep digging smile.gif

David

Edited by dvalid, 10 January 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#194 bsavoie

bsavoie

Viking 1

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

I think it is wonderful to have a new mount enter the ecosystem of astronomy.. yes, yes.. I love my iEQ45 Pro.

To me there are three useful approaches to telescope mounts:

1. The big heavy mount, in an outside enclosure near the house, for astrophotography. Currently a CGE, and a spare one to work on.

2. A travel rig iEQ45 Pro. A light weight mount that can carry a medium large telescope. (Too many tall pine trees near my backyard skyshed.)

3. Older mounts without electronics, or with obsolete electronics. I have several of these. As a retired EE, this allows me to play with my Raspberry Pi and a cell phone, to fix an old mount and then sell it. (I have yet to sell anything.. but it is a hobby thank heavens.)

I like the paper specifications of the new cem120, and love the care taken with the design of my ieq45 pro.. I now look at the new cem120 and it motivates me to start selling some of my 35 telescopes. My problem is not getting  ... it is letting go.. my wife wants her two car garage back.

I hope there is a cem120 for me.

Bill

• Phil Cowell, psandelle and Space_Oddity like this

#195 adastranova

adastranova

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

I purchased it in June, 2014, soon after the mount was officially released. CEM60 series were equipped with the stepper motors from very beginning. 

Waldemar, I really appreciate your willingness to help, thank you!

Yes, no warranty, I own it since 2014. I will definitely try to dig dipper. What I've discovered literally yesterday, while preparing my setup to the upcoming moonless nights, the Latitude locking clamp did not hold RA assembly tightly. I've added thin strip gasket under it, have added teflon washers under azimuth locking nuts as well. The mount looks more rigid now, will check under the heavier load later!

attachicon.gif2018-01-10 22.09.32.jpg

Edited: forgot to say, I'm from Georgia, country in South Caucasus smile.gif

Dvalid,

This may be the solution, with spacers under the locks. I thought the CEM60 was rocking somehow, despite all nuts being thoroughly tightened. Was also thinking the two rounded joining pieces these locks hold together are not exactly mated, perhaps with some high spots creating a fulcrum.

My CEM60 is back at Ioptron in Massachusetts and I'm waiting for their analysis of the vibration problem. In daylight I could see the whole OTA shake, and the night time images are correspondingly poor. I agree AO should not be required just to make a mount function.  Will report when I get more info from them.

Edited by adastranova, 11 January 2018 - 12:39 AM.

• Waldemar and dvalid like this

#196 adastranova

adastranova

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

Waldemar,

I think I was the one you advised on the rat cage. I did move the mount from pier to tripod without resolution. I am planning to rebuild my pier based upon feedback from you and all the other good folks. 

Best Regards.

• Waldemar and bsavoie like this

#197 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:01 AM

This may be a good start for a solid pier: http://www.bigfootsy...s.com/index.htm

#198 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

This covers the rat box subject too.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AOeLnecOMeg

Part 1 and 2

#199 Waldemar

Waldemar

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:54 AM

This covers the rat box subject too.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AOeLnecOMeg

Part 1 and 2

Thank you Arie!!

a youtube explains more than a thousands words on paper :-)

#200 Arie

Arie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Welcome.

However, from a mechanical engineering point of view, I do not quite agree with all this gentleman's statements.

Pick up his pier, suspend on a string and hit it.

It will still  ring like a bell . . . . . .

What you wanna hear is a "thumb . . 

I have an "optimistic pier" smile.gif  (7" oilfield casing, 0,5 inch wall) and filled it with very fine gravel. You could also use dry sand.

Not concrete. If the bond breaks in summertime (steel expands more with temperature than concrete), the dampening effect is lost and you will have a tubular bell again.

That's how in the oil industry we figure out whether the casing pipe is well cemented in the bore hole.

A sonic signal. Good cement bond, the sound disappears into the surrounding rock. Silence.

Bad or no cement bond, the sound pulse makes the casing pipe ring. Echo.

If only BP had run a CBL (Cement Bond Log) on their last casing set, in the Gulf of Mexico, the disaster would never had happened....

Gravel or loose sand will always settle again after being agitated.

That's my view on this.

Edited by Arie, 11 January 2018 - 10:34 AM.

• brave_ulysses and bsavoie like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics